View Poll Results: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • George W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • George H. W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • Ronald Reagan

    4 8.33%
  • Gerald Ford

    2 4.17%
  • Richard Nixon

    7 14.58%
  • None of the Above

    33 68.75%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 109

Thread: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

  1. #61
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Liberty View Post
    1). I would like to receive the drug you are on, because any drug strong enough to make someone believe that Obama has lowered the deficit must be pretty strong.

    2). To answer your question: None of the above. The only president in modern times to have lowered the deficit at all was Bill Clinton, and honestly he didn't even lower it that much.
    Obama has lowered the deficit by a huge margin. The deficit for 2009 was determined under Bush in 2008. Obama has come close to cutting that deficit in half.
    Now I am fully aware that some of it has to do with the stalemates, the sequester, and the tea party. But it does not change the fact that he has cut the deficit by a larger margin than any President of our time.

    Clinton also cut the deficit. He in fact eliminated it all together and ran a surplus for a couple years. That surplus was not used for the debt unfortunately. Bush gave it away to the wealthy in the form of tax breaks as soon as he took office.

    Carter also lowered the deficit he received.

  2. #62
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    really? Its FDR
    FDR is pretty much the only one NOT responsible.
    Social Security has always run an annual surplus until 2010 and that was only due to the payroll tax break.
    Social Security is presently at a 2.6 trillion dollar surplus.

  3. #63
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    FDR is pretty much the only one NOT responsible.
    Social Security has always run an annual surplus until 2010 and that was only due to the payroll tax break.
    Social Security is presently at a 2.6 trillion dollar surplus.
    FDR's destruction of the tenth amendment by his threat to pack the USSC allows almost all the nonsense we see today. without FDR's justices we would have no war on drugs for example. NO 2 million people in prison.

    no Obamacare

    No welfare state

    No Great Society

    No Dept of Education



  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    275
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Obama has lowered the deficit by a huge margin. The deficit for 2009 was determined under Bush in 2008. Obama has come close to cutting that deficit in half.
    Now I am fully aware that some of it has to do with the stalemates, the sequester, and the tea party. But it does not change the fact that he has cut the deficit by a larger margin than any President of our time.

    Clinton also cut the deficit. He in fact eliminated it all together and ran a surplus for a couple years. That surplus was not used for the debt unfortunately. Bush gave it away to the wealthy in the form of tax breaks as soon as he took office.

    Carter also lowered the deficit he received.
    I think the deficit has lowered a bit. However, it is quite illogical to give President Obama credit. He fought the sequester with everything he had in his arsenal. Also, he has fought any attempt by any congressman, Republican or Democrat, to lower the debt or the deficit. Also our National Debt has risen faster then it has with any other President in history!

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    If you chalk up the entirety of the FY2009 budget to Obama's column, a budget in place for roughly 8 months prior to Obama taking office, sure. There simply wasn't a conceivable scenario in which we would not run deficits of historical magnitude in said year.
    In other words, George Bush forced Hussein to drive the deficit up to $17T.

  6. #66
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    FDR's destruction of the tenth amendment by his threat to pack the USSC allows almost all the nonsense we see today. without FDR's justices we would have no war on drugs for example. NO 2 million people in prison.

    no Obamacare

    No welfare state

    No Great Society

    No Dept of Education
    Ok, I admit your argument has more depth to it that I thought.
    I thought you were simply referring to Social Security (which pays for itself without income tax revenue).

    Even still, all of those things combined are less than military spending.
    And keep in mind, I am not arguing against military spending as a necessity, merely showing that it is more responsible for deficits.
    In the end, my personal opinion is that lack of proper tax revenue is responsible for a significant chunck of the deficit.
    Last edited by Painter; 08-24-13 at 12:18 AM.

  7. #67
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Liberty View Post
    I think the deficit has lowered a bit. However, it is quite illogical to give President Obama credit. He fought the sequester with everything he had in his arsenal. Also, he has fought any attempt by any congressman, Republican or Democrat, to lower the debt or the deficit. Also our National Debt has risen faster then it has with any other President in history!
    Some of this I can agree with.
    However, Obama desperately fought cuts to social programs, not cuts to the deficit.
    Obama desperately wants to eliminate the deficit. He simply wants to do it by taxing the super wealthy and closing loopholes.
    Keep in mind that the deficit is merely a mathematical figure comprised to 2 values. Income vs. Expenses.

  8. #68
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Ok, I admit your argument has more depth to it that I thought.
    I thought you were simply referring to Social Security (which pays for itself without income tax revenue).

    Even still, all of those things combined are less than military spending.
    And keep in mind, I am not arguing against military spending as a necessity, merely showing that it is more responsible for deficits.
    there is tons of wasteful military spending-often pork projects. But military spending is at least constitutionally sound



  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    275
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Some of this I can agree with.
    However, Obama desperately fought cuts to social programs, not cuts to the deficit.
    Obama desperately wants to eliminate the deficit. He simply wants to do it by taxing the super wealthy and closing loopholes.
    Keep in mind that the deficit is merely a mathematical figure comprised to 2 values. Income vs. Expenses.
    No, Obama has no real interest in eliminating the deficit. His own economic theory (Keynesian Economics) actually states that the more money is spent on programs, the more money is gained in the long run.

    Also, yes he has attempted to increase taxes on the rich. So if his end goal really is to reduce the deficit, he would rather have the citizenry pay for it rather then cutting a few unnecessary government programs. The economic problem we have today is that the government views each of it's programs as "vital" and thinks that if you cut a program or two here and there the nation will plunge into anarchy. President Obama himself even said something similar in a speech about the sequester.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,301

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Some of this I can agree with.
    However, Obama desperately fought cuts to social programs, not cuts to the deficit.
    Obama desperately wants to eliminate the deficit. He simply wants to do it by taxing the super wealthy and closing loopholes.
    Keep in mind that the deficit is merely a mathematical figure comprised to 2 values. Income vs. Expenses.
    You don't cut the deficit or debt by increasing tax rates. Revenue historically stabilizes at an average 18.3% of GDP, or maybe it's GNP. This means we need increased economic activity. Higher taxes reduce economic activity. That's why lowering taxes a little at a time is the better option.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •