View Poll Results: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • George W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • George H. W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • Ronald Reagan

    4 8.33%
  • Gerald Ford

    2 4.17%
  • Richard Nixon

    7 14.58%
  • None of the Above

    33 68.75%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 109

Thread: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

  1. #51
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Deficit is not debt, but I think I get your point. I'm out to watch the Packers rookies...
    Right.
    The question was about deficit. To be more specific it was about decreasing the deficit they received.

    You pointed to Eisenhower as the last President to reduce the debt.

    What I am telling you is that while I am not completely sure about your statement, Eisenhower is also the last "Republican" President who reduced the "deficit" he received.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    24,181

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Right.
    The question was about deficit. To be more specific it was about decreasing the deficit they received.

    You pointed to Eisenhower as the last President to reduce the debt.

    What I am telling you is that while I am not completely sure about your statement, Eisenhower is also the last "Republican" President who reduced the "deficit" he received.
    Yes, but the question wasn't very specific, and there are too many ways to measure it.

    If you go by constant 2005 dollars, which is one method the OMB uses, then go from one fiscal year to the next from table 1.3, as the budget turns from the last to the new president, then the last republican president would be Bush (41). If you go by year to year for a president, then Bush (43) reduced his own previous deficit for 2005 vs. 2004.

    This whole thing about which president has little meaning in my view. After all, congress controls the budget. The president only signs it into law.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10,031

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Apparently you do not live in an area with a military base or government contractors.
    Several people I know, including my tenant, would all beg to differ with you.
    The sequester is hurting people severely.
    I think Slyfox was being a bit sarcastic
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #54
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    181,745

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    A "meme" I saw on facebook this morning asked this question.
    I was very surprised at the answer.

    While it is debatable as to whether the credit goes to Congress or the Presidents, we know that the last 3 Democratic Presidents ALL decreased the annual deficit. These Presidents include:

    Barrack Obama
    Bill Clinton
    Jimmy Carter

    I am curious as to how many people get it right as to who the last Republican President was that decreased the annual deficit.
    The reason I think this is important is because public opinion of this is extremely backwards as compared to reality.


    what president destroyed the boundaries reining in the federal government causing the massive deficits we have today?

    that is the important question because your question is misleading since it often depends on congress as well



  5. #55
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10,031

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what president destroyed the boundaries reining in the federal government causing the massive deficits we have today?

    that is the important question because your question is misleading since it often depends on congress as well
    That would be St Ronnie
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  6. #56
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    181,745

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    That would be St Ronnie
    really? Its FDR



  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    275
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    A "meme" I saw on facebook this morning asked this question.
    I was very surprised at the answer.

    While it is debatable as to whether the credit goes to Congress or the Presidents, we know that the last 3 Democratic Presidents ALL decreased the annual deficit. These Presidents include:

    Barrack Obama
    Bill Clinton
    Jimmy Carter

    I am curious as to how many people get it right as to who the last Republican President was that decreased the annual deficit.
    The reason I think this is important is because public opinion of this is extremely backwards as compared to reality.
    1). I would like to receive the drug you are on, because any drug strong enough to make someone believe that Obama has lowered the deficit must be pretty strong.

    2). To answer your question: None of the above. The only president in modern times to have lowered the deficit at all was Bill Clinton, and honestly he didn't even lower it that much.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10,031

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Liberty View Post
    1). I would like to receive the drug you are on, because any drug strong enough to make someone believe that Obama has lowered the deficit must be pretty strong.

    2). To answer your question: None of the above. The only president in modern times to have lowered the deficit at all was Bill Clinton, and honestly he didn't even lower it that much.

    Ye know not whereof ye post
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #59
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    I think Slyfox was being a bit sarcastic
    Yeah. sorry. I got that once he explained and also I "liked" his explanation.

  10. #60
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what president destroyed the boundaries reining in the federal government causing the massive deficits we have today?

    that is the important question because your question is misleading since it often depends on congress as well
    The answer to your question is far too complex to answer completely. But it is definitely not one President.

    Your thinking FDR for Social Security. And your thinking Johnson for Medicare.
    I will leave Johnson and medicare alone simply because the argument ties in to too many other arguments and it runs too deep for anything to happen in this forum other than annoying the crap out of each other. Then we'd wind up debating Obamacare after 100,000 words and a week of no sleep.

    But I'd like to address Social Security:
    First off, Social Security has never once been a part of the deficit or the debt in a legit way.
    At present, Social Security is running a 2.6 trillion dollar surplus.
    What happens is the surplus that Social Security runs each and every year is used to buy government bonds.
    These bonds then represent money owed to Social Security. At present, Social Security is owed 2.6 trillion dollars.
    2.6 trillion dollars of our national debt is due to Social Security. But it is not because income tax revenue is needed to support Social Security.
    It is quite the opposite. Social Security surplus has been used to support the Federal Government.
    It is confusing I know. And this fact is why the Right Wing and Libertarian pundits and politicians have been so successful at perpetuating the lie.
    Social Security has never been the cause of even 1 single cent of deficit. The debt that the bonds represent, which were purchased with Social Security money, now that is a different story. But this is not the fault of Social Security.

    Social Programs and Medicare do represent part of the deficit each year.
    But no where near as much as military spending. Tax cuts to the super wealthy that we can not afford also represent a good chunk of the deficit.

    But to answer your question,

    I'd have to say Johnson for creating Medicare. (giving you this one to keep myself honest)
    I'd have to say Reagan and Bush for massive increases in military spending as well as tax cuts that ballooned the deficit.
    Obama could be on this list but like medicare, its rather complicated. A lot would depend on whether or not you believe the economic crisis allowed by deregulation truly ever existed or not, which then leads to whether or not the solutions that Bush, Obama, and Congress all implemented were required or wasteful. And again, that is a not a winnable debate by either side.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •