View Poll Results: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • George W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • George H. W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • Ronald Reagan

    4 8.33%
  • Gerald Ford

    2 4.17%
  • Richard Nixon

    7 14.58%
  • None of the Above

    33 68.75%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 109

Thread: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

  1. #41
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Oh, I get it...you're talking about cyclical lag. Usually that's a valid argument...but since Obama employed a lot of Keynesian tactics and expansionary monetary policy in order to loosen corporate coffers, the impact should be felt more immediately than if you had an administration try to "ride it out". Obama pumped a lot of "economic laxatives" with regard to entitlement programs, which can distort actual resorts for the first 2-3 years of his tenure.
    Care to be more specific?
    Keep in mind, I am no accountant... I merely stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

    I think the Bush bailout for Wall Street had a bit to do with the 2009 deficit as well.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,285

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    None of the above because I'm sure you mean national debt rather than deficit, and the answer is Nixon.

  3. #43
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Care to be more specific?
    Keep in mind, I am no accountant... I merely stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

    I think the Bush bailout for Wall Street had a bit to do with the 2009 deficit as well.
    The President used more of TARP than his predecessor...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #44
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    None of the above because I'm sure you mean national debt rather than deficit, and the answer is Nixon.
    Actually, in absolute terms, Eisenhower was the last President to reduce the debt...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #45
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The President used more of TARP than his predecessor...
    Exactly my point.
    Set up by one President in 2008, but used mostly in 2009 under another.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Care to be more specific?
    Keep in mind, I am no accountant... I merely stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

    I think the Bush bailout for Wall Street had a bit to do with the 2009 deficit as well.
    ...a move I was against. However, compared to Obama, it was a relative drop in the bucket.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,285

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Actually, in absolute terms, Eisenhower was the last President to reduce the debt...
    Not true. Look at the OMB historical table 7.1. FY 1969, gross federal debt.

  8. #48
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Actually, in absolute terms, Eisenhower was the last President to reduce the debt...
    This is also the correct answer to the initial question of "Deficit".
    Which is why I tactfully stopped at 5 Republican Presidents when setting it up.

    Eisenhower is the last Republican President to reduce the deficit. I am not sure on debt but I think you are right.

    I just noticed someone picked Reagan. Got a good laugh out of that one.

  9. #49
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Not true. Look at the OMB historical table 7.1. FY 1969, gross federal debt.
    I'm not going to argue with you, but if you'll look at the debt, the last time it was actually reduced, in a real sense, was under Eisenhower...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #50
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    This is also the correct answer to the initial question of "Deficit".
    Which is why I tactfully stopped at 5 Republican Presidents when setting it up.

    Eisenhower is the last Republican President to reduce the deficit. I am not sure on debt but I think you are right.

    I just noticed someone picked Reagan. Got a good laugh out of that one.
    Deficit is not debt, but I think I get your point. I'm out to watch the Packers rookies...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •