View Poll Results: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • George W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • George H. W. Bush

    1 2.08%
  • Ronald Reagan

    4 8.33%
  • Gerald Ford

    2 4.17%
  • Richard Nixon

    7 14.58%
  • None of the Above

    33 68.75%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 109

Thread: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,982

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Yes, I saw that, but why?
    Because someone else credited a lower deficit spending this year to the sequester, and did so in response to someone who seems to be taking the Republican position.

    I get the feeling you're trying to make another point, one not asking for a literal response, but I'm going to have you just come out and say it anyways.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    But your still missing the point in that the 2009 deficit (Obama's first year) was created mostly under Bush during the year of 2008.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper
    I will concede that 2008 was handed to Obama.
    Am I missing something?

  3. #33
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Because someone else credited a lower deficit spending this year to the sequester, and did so in response to someone who seems to be taking the Republican position.

    I get the feeling you're trying to make another point, one not asking for a literal response, but I'm going to have you just come out and say it anyways.
    No, I had no ulterior motives, but in response to the sequester notion of reducing the deficit, I would call BS. The deficit has been falling every year since there has been no budget, and this is what I would credit for the reduction...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,982

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, I had no ulterior motives, but in response to the sequester notion of reducing the deficit, I would call BS. The deficit has been falling every year since there has been no budget, and this is what I would credit for the reduction...
    OH, ok.

    I thought you were going to take issue with my perception of the Republican stance on the sequester. That's kind of funny, and really kind of telling about political debating. Or at least how I perceive it.

    And I agree, I don't think the sequester gets a significant portion of credit for falling deficits. I think it plays a part, just like many other parts, not the least of which is the increase in tax revenue.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, I had no ulterior motives, but in response to the sequester notion of reducing the deficit, I would call BS. The deficit has been falling every year since there has been no budget, and this is what I would credit for the reduction...
    A pretty good point - however, I do think that they're related. Sequestration was actually a great move, but the fallback is that it allowed Democrats to make a political play and point fingers.

    This is why when liberals call Republicans the "party of no", they see it as an insult whereas I see it as a compliment. Stopping a negative is, for all intents and purposes, the same as a positive.

  6. #36
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    OH, ok.

    I thought you were going to take issue with my perception of the Republican stance on the sequester. That's kind of funny, and really kind of telling about political debating. Or at least how I perceive it.

    And I agree, I don't think the sequester gets a significant portion of credit for falling deficits. I think it plays a part, just like many other parts, not the least of which is the increase in tax revenue.
    Well, now that we have the pleasantries out of the way, I don't think we're seeing much from tax increases at this point either. What I am seeing is that, instead of passing a budget each year, the spending is being held back somewhat through the CR process, and that, along with natural growth, is resulting in the deficit reduction. Now, if we want to move beyond this, wouldn't it be nice to see growth policies come out of DC?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #37
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    A pretty good point - however, I do think that they're related. Sequestration was actually a great move, but the fallback is that it allowed Democrats to make a political play and point fingers.

    This is why when liberals call Republicans the "party of no", they see it as an insult whereas I see it as a compliment. Stopping a negative is, for all intents and purposes, the same as a positive.
    I have no problem with being disagreed with, the repubs shouldn't either...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #38
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Maybe.
    2008 was Bush's last year. 2009 was Obama's first year.
    The budget and most expenses for 2009 were created during 2008.

    2009 deficit is what was handed to Obama.
    2009 was also Bush's highest deficit and Obama's current deficit is far lower. (without looking again) I think its only slightly above half as much now.

    When you say that Bush's was 500 billion less than Obama's lowest, you are definitely not attaching the responsibility to Bush for Obama's first year, as is customary in assigning deficit responsibility.
    The same will apply in 2017. Obama will preside over the 2017 budget during his last year of 2016. Obama will be responsible for the next President's deficit in 2017.

    Look at it like your wife running up the credit card bills, leaving you, and you get stuck with the bill.

    Your looking at things in terms of when they take office, while I am discussing things in terms of the years they are responsible for.
    Bush more than doubled the deficit from when he took over, while Obama has almost cut it in half.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Maybe.
    2008 was Bush's last year. 2009 was Obama's first year.
    The budget and most expenses for 2009 were created during 2008.

    2009 deficit is what was handed to Obama.
    2009 was also Bush's highest deficit and Obama's current deficit is far lower. (without looking again) I think its only slightly above half as much now.

    When you say that Bush's was 500 billion less than Obama's lowest, you are definitely not attaching the responsibility to Bush for Obama's first year, as is customary in assigning deficit responsibility.
    The same will apply in 2017. Obama will preside over the 2017 budget during his last year of 2016. Obama will be responsible for the next President's deficit in 2017.

    Look at it like your wife running up the credit card bills, leaving you, and you get stuck with the bill.

    Your looking at things in terms of when they take office, while I am discussing things in terms of the years they are responsible for.
    Bush more than doubled the deficit from when he took over, while Obama has almost cut it in half.
    Oh, I get it...you're talking about cyclical lag. Usually that's a valid argument...but since Obama employed a lot of Keynesian tactics and expansionary monetary policy in order to loosen corporate coffers, the impact should be felt more immediately than if you had an administration try to "ride it out". Obama pumped a lot of "economic laxatives" with regard to entitlement programs, which can distort actual resorts for the first 2-3 years of his tenure.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Who was the last Republican President to reduce the deficit he received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Clearly you're not familiar with the present Republican position on the sequester.

    The sequester is something this country needs which will not affect anything, unless it affects it negatively, at which point it was Obama's idea. But, like I said, it will not affect anything, so if it does affect something negatively it's only because Obama wants to punish Americans with this thing our country needs, which, again, was his idea.
    Is that a Monty Python quote?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •