View Poll Results: has obama brought races together

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • no. obama made race relations worse

    49 72.06%
  • yes, obama has united races as never before

    2 2.94%
  • obama has had no effect on race relations

    17 25.00%
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 275

Thread: Has obama brought the races together[W:225]

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, they are issues that affect everyone regardless of race.
    Well, yes, the issues I listed do effect people of varying races and they are still racial issues as I have said. A "racial issue" refers to an issue that involves race not necessarily an issue that involves only one or two races so I'm not sure what you think you're contesting by writing the above. That said, conservatives tend do ignore most racial issues, mostly those that affect non-whites.

    You have no idea about my thinking other than what you make up in your own mind, but feel free to believe you do...
    No need to get defensive. You've been sharing some of your thoughts with me in our conversation just as I have been sharing some of mine so we both have a clue as to each other's thoughts.

  2. #82
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Trouble is, it falls nearly directly inline with Obama and CPUSA platform.

    CPUSA And Obama Platforms Are Identical | Sweetness & Light
    I'm tired of reading your badly sourced blog reprints. This isn't a debate we're just talking past one another.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #83
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,214

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    I am asking you this in response to your post

    So no, I didn't get it from Academia or my parents. (Thanks for giving me credit for actually having a mind of my own BTW) I am asking you this because of your post. When you claim that the left makes everything racial you imply that it is only worthy of calling out if you agree that it is racist. So what is the magic signal we wait to confirm that something is worthy of calling out?
    Well Grasshopper, that's something that growing older will help you recognize. At nearly 60 years, I've seen what you describe and know what real racism looks and sounds like. It's pretty obvious and it's not a component in every issue unless someone makes it so.

  4. #84
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,214

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I'm tired of reading your badly sourced blog reprints. This isn't a debate we're just talking past one another.

  5. #85
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Well, yes, the issues I listed do effect people of varying races, but they are still racial issues. A "racial issue" refers to an issue that involves race not necessarily an issue that involves only one or two races so I'm not sure what you think you're contesting by writing the above. That said, conservatives tend do ignore most racial issues, mostly those that affect non-whites.
    It would have been better had you stopped here. These are not specifically issues of race but a symptom of our society and its so-called "leaders". Would you not prefer our economy be growing at such a pace that businesses would once again be competing for available labor resources? Where are the advocates for that without government printing more currency?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #86
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    In another thread someone tried to tell me Obama has united the races. His sole argument for this was that whites voted for him. IMO Obama has made race relations even worse and has squandered a golden opportunity to bring this country together with his divisive statements and the way he has inserted himself into various race related issues in a Sharpton, Jackson like fashion.
    I'm curious what others think and why
    .



    What I think is that President Obama is not the only person in the USA when it comes to improving race relations.

    What has the GOP done to improve race relations? How many Blacks and non-white Hispanics voted for Mitt Romney last November? Think about it. The GOP has a problem which will only get worse as massive demographic change hits it a little harder in the future.

    I am not wishing the GOP any hard luck here, but it is a simple fact of life that if the GOP doesn't change a lot and soon by no later than the middle of this century it will be reduced to a minor, regional, party.

    If you don't think so, just wait and see.

    No one can stop time and/or change.




    "Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

  7. #87
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Actually, if you remember the statistics, it was the older people who were adamant against this because Democrats did a bang-up job at deluding the Boomers that it was going to impact them negatively - which is a blatant lie.
    Actually both parties use the "third rail"...remember "Death Panels" and "taking X billions from Medicare in Obamacare"?

    The fact is both programs are popular but the Republican Party made a decision to draw a line at a certain age for a reason....because their average voter is around that age.

    For my generation, privatization of the Washington Slush Fund - what you affectionately refer to as Social Security - would be a terrific thing. The ROI of FICA taxes is pitiful; you'd probably get a better interest rate overall by sticking that 6.2% in an interest-bearing savings account.
    Not after knocking out fee's and commissions. Or is the government suppose to pay Wall Street to maintain your account? Not to mention...let's be honest here...if people don't save now what makes you think they are going to take that money and put it away? I bet you it will go to a house payment/car payment/tuition for kids etc. Some save...and they retire well...others don't and need that SS. I'm doing fantastic saving and having a SS check won't matter but it sure is nice to know that if things go horribly wrong...I get some disease or lose everything I still have that in the background. It's retirement insurance.

    It was a big push by younger Republicans, and a few of the more fiscally wise Democrats of my generation.
    I think any fiscally wise person would prefer to save up on their own and also be guaranteed some sort of payment/insurance at retirement in case things go wrong or plans go awry which they sometimes do.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  8. #88
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Well Grasshopper, that's something that growing older will help you recognize. At nearly 60 years, I've seen what you describe and know what real racism looks and sounds like. It's pretty obvious and it's not a component in every issue unless someone makes it so.
    Please don't be condescending.

    Here is the point. ... You seem to think that if YOU do not see the racial component then it does not exist. When then is pointing out the racial component in an issue become legitimate? Who makes that decision?

  9. #89
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    What I think is that President Obama is not the only person in the USA when it comes to improving race relations.

    What has the GOP done to improve race relations? How many Blacks and non-white Hispanics voted for Mitt Romney last November? Think about it. The GOP has a problem which will only get worse as massive demographic change hits it a little harder in the future.

    I am not wishing the GOP any hard luck here, but it is a simple fact of life that if the GOP doesn't change a lot and soon by no later than the middle of this century it will be reduced to a minor, regional, party.

    If you don't think so, just wait and see.

    No one can stop time and/or change.




    "Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.
    What was the percentage drop of the Hispanic vote for rebubs after Reagan's agreement for amnesty?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    It would have been better had you stopped here. These are not specifically issues of race but a symptom of our society and its so-called "leaders". Would you not prefer our economy be growing at such a pace that businesses would once again be competing for available labor resources? Where are the advocates for that without government printing more currency?
    No, it would not have been better had I stopped there because that leaves my point incomplete and thus, inaccurate. It seems like you're determined to not acknowledge the racial issues I'm talking about and that you are, even further, drifting off topic now that you're onto currency. Thus, I have no more interest in this discussion nor the pissing contest that seems to be creeping up.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •