View Poll Results: has obama brought races together

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • no. obama made race relations worse

    49 72.06%
  • yes, obama has united races as never before

    2 2.94%
  • obama has had no effect on race relations

    17 25.00%
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 275

Thread: Has obama brought the races together[W:225]

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. The extent of racial discrimination in housing, the justice system, education and almost every other aspect of our society. (Conservatives often just straight up ignore this reality.)

    2. The experiences non-white Americans have with racism, prejudice and racial ignorance. (Conservatives usually dismiss attempts to talk about those realities by calling them "race baiting" or "pulling the race card.")

    3. The influence of historical and current racial inequality on lack of education, crime and other problems in the black population. (Conservatives usually dismiss discussions about this reality by calling it an "excuse" and pointing to "a lack of personal responsibility".)
    Subsidized housing benefits non-whites a hell of a lot more than whites, based on percentages. Justice is colorblind, and is only a consideration of crimes committed, not the race that committed them. Education is constantly addressed, but is shunned by poor minorities because liberals, by and large, refuse to help the disenfranchised to achieve personal responsibility.

    It's not conservatives making excuses. It's you.

  2. #72
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Republicans pander to people who are interested in looking within themselves for change and progress. This tends to cater to the financially established (i.e. "old white folks"). Now, when it comes to social change, Republicans are less interested in change and progress.

    Democrats pander to people who have a mob mentality, who look for someone to blame, and who look to get everything while doing nothing. They're a party of smoke and mirrors.
    Yeah...that's why they wanted to change social security for everyone UNDER 50. Because their base which is dominated by those nearing retirement want to take care of themselves and are financially established.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #73
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Okay, we can disagree. But answer this please. What are we to do? Wait until the right agrees that something is racial before speaking up. If we did that there would still be separate bathrooms and water fountains
    .



    We'll never get rid of racism or other prejudice if we don't talk about it.

    If I see something going on, or if I read or hear a comment that I believe is racist, bigoted, homophobic, or misogynistic I am going to call attention to it.

    I will not ignore it, because that will not make it go away. If this upsets someone, that's their problem. I'm not going to shut up about these things because we need to talk about them in order to effect change and make the USA a better place for everyone that lives there.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Which party continues to harp on these issues as a basis to advance its agenda. You see, once race is removed from the equation, you then need to deal with the underlying issues...
    Well, there is the point. All of the issues I listed are racial issues. To remove race from the equation is to not acknowledge reality. And that you, a conservative*, have the taken the position that race ought to be removed from the equation proves my point - that conservatives tend not to acknowledge the reality of racial issues. We've come full circle.

    *You aren't a conservative so I'll apologize for assumption and amend that to "All of the issues I listed are racial issues. To remove race from the equation is to not acknowledge reality. Conservatives tend to do that as you are doing here. We've come full circle."

  5. #75
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, this is what it has become, but politics is about ideas and principles. My guess is that you might be too young to remember this...
    How old are you? Unless you were voting in early colonial times coalitions and parties have always been a part of US politics. I guess you're from the glory years when the Republican party instituted the Southern Strategy to steal the Southern Coalition from the Democratic Party or Reagan pandered to the Evangelicals creating the "Reagan Democrat".
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  6. #76
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Well, there is the point. All of the issues I listed are racial issues. To remove race from the equation is to not acknowledge reality. And that you, a conservative, have the taken the position that race ought to be removed from the equation proves my point - that conservatives tend not to acknowledge the reality of racial issues. We've come full circle.
    No, they are issues that affect everyone regardless of race. You have no idea about my thinking other than what you make up in your own mind, but feel free to believe you do...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    We'll never get rid of racism or other prejudice if we don't talk about it.
    Truth. There are very few, if any problems, that have ever been solved by pretending they don't exist, particularly problems as big as racism and prejudice.

  8. #78
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,154

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I'm not nor have I ever been a member of the Communist party...that's usually what you conservatives like to hear right?

    In the book A Racial Program for the Twentieth Century, published in 1913 by Israel Cohen of the Fabian Society (a follow-up to Zangwill's play The Melting Pot), he wrote:



    That is a ****ing hoax dude. It was a letter to the editor of the Washington Star. The Washington Star later apologized and said it was printed without verifying it's authenticity. It's Congressional record because a follow up by the Star read by a Rep from NY shows no Israel Cohen existed, and there was never a book with that title. It was used by a southern Mississippi Rep in a debate against the Civil Rights Act. Claiming that Civil rights was a communist plot was a common tactic by southern racist during the era. I'm hoping you posted that in ignorance!
    Trouble is, it falls nearly directly inline with Obama and CPUSA platform.

    CPUSA And Obama Platforms Are Identical | Sweetness & Light

  9. #79
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Who put that in your mind? Academia, your parents?

    I'm Conservative and don't believe in any of that. Nor do most people I know.

    I am asking you this in response to your post
    The Left MUST turn everything to something racial to please their base.
    So no, I didn't get it from Academia or my parents. (Thanks for giving me credit for actually having a mind of my own BTW) I am asking you this because of your post. When you claim that the left makes everything racial you imply that it is only worthy of calling out if you agree that it is racist. So what is the magic signal we wait to confirm that something is worthy of calling out?

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Yeah...that's why they wanted to change social security for everyone UNDER 50. Because their base which is dominated by those nearing retirement want to take care of themselves and are financially established.
    Actually, if you remember the statistics, it was the older people who were adamant against this because Democrats did a bang-up job at deluding the Boomers that it was going to impact them negatively - which is a blatant lie.

    For my generation, privatization of the Washington Slush Fund - what you affectionately refer to as Social Security - would be a terrific thing. The ROI of FICA taxes is pitiful; you'd probably get a better interest rate overall by sticking that 6.2% in an interest-bearing savings account.

    It was a big push by younger Republicans, and a few of the more fiscally wise Democrats of my generation.

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •