View Poll Results: has obama brought races together

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • no. obama made race relations worse

    49 72.06%
  • yes, obama has united races as never before

    2 2.94%
  • obama has had no effect on race relations

    17 25.00%
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 275

Thread: Has obama brought the races together[W:225]

  1. #21
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    In another thread someone tried to tell me Obama has united the races. His sole argument for this was that whites voted for him. IMO Obama has made race relations even worse and has squandered a golden opportunity to bring this country together with his divisive statements and the way he has inserted himself into various race related issues in a Sharpton, Jackson like fashion. I'm curious what others think and why.
    May I ask you a question Sawyer? Your OP indirectly acknowledges that there was a racial division in this county before Obama took office. So that's awesome. I was curious why you thought it existed to begin with. Sincere question.

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    You may want to consider the fact....fact..that here, in this forum...it is utterly useless to try to have a civil discussion about race. There are so many conservatives that jump in and just start name calling, reading the post etc. that it basically equates to volunteering to stand before a firing squad. You want to have a civilized discussion....I'm all in.
    Is is impossible to have an open and honest discussion regarding race. Too many are too emotionally invested. I doubt you recognize it, but you just did the same thing you accuse conservatives of when you placed all the blame on them. I wouldn't attempt a civilized discussion on race with you because you have already demonstrated through your actions that you are as incapable of having one as those on the extreme of the other side. You don't want a civilized discussion, you want your discussion.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    He certainly didn't do anything to detract from that either though.
    No he certainly didn't.

  4. #24
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is is impossible to have an open and honest discussion regarding race. Too many are too emotionally invested. I doubt you recognize it, but you just did the same thing you accuse conservatives of when you placed all the blame on them. I wouldn't attempt a civilized discussion on race with you because you have already demonstrated through your actions that you are as incapable of having one as those on the extreme of the other side. You don't want a civilized discussion, you want your discussion.
    First of all I didn't place all the blame on them and it is annoying as hell that I have to add disclaimers for every possible thing you guys might read into my posts so that you don't accuse me of saying something I didn't say.

    Here is the difference. I recognize that I am emotionally invested, everyone here is. But there are people who can rein that in and discuss things objectively and people who can't . I have encountered a few who can do it but very few. What I have seen is many conservatives who are not capable. Many is not every.

    I think you are the one who is standing in the way of a civilized discussion because you read in,make assumptions followed by accusations and dismiss someone without even trying. Thank you for proving my point.

  5. #25
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    So injecting himself into issues that he and his followers gave racial overtones (Martin/Zimmerman, the 'professor', along with most issues his hit man Holder has been involved in, voting laws, gun running, not going after obvious voter intimidation, etc) has no effect?
    Let's be honest here.

    Lets not forget the Justice brothers, Al and Jessie.
    I offer this as an example of the conservative solution to racial problems. If it benefits white people, just pretend the problem doesn't exist. It's all fine until the black president "inserts" himself into the issue. There's no race problem until then. Of course not.

    As I said, the president has served to illuminate existing problems, no matter how badly conservatives want to keep them buried.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #26
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    First of all I didn't place all the blame on them and it is annoying as hell that I have to add disclaimers for every possible thing you guys might read into my posts so that you don't accuse me of saying something I didn't say.

    Here is the difference. I recognize that I am emotionally invested, everyone here is. But there are people who can rein that in and discuss things objectively and people who can't . I have encountered a few who can do it but very few. What I have seen is many conservatives who are not capable. Many is not every.

    I think you are the one who is standing in the way of a civilized discussion because you read in,make assumptions followed by accusations and dismiss someone without even trying. Thank you for proving my point.
    You're just another on the fringes of the extreme that sees the sins of the other side without having the self awareness to realize they are also what they criticize. Sorry, I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #27
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You're just another on the fringes of the extreme that sees the sins of the other side without having the self awareness to realize they are also what they criticize. Sorry, I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
    Well since I know that is not me. Sincerely, it is not me, you give me reason to see you as the problem. I however, am willing to try to conversation and see something different in you....are you?

  8. #28
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,214

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I offer this as an example of the conservative solution to racial problems. If it benefits white people, just pretend the problem doesn't exist. It's all fine until the black president "inserts" himself into the issue. There's no race problem until then. Of course not.

    As I said, the president has served to illuminate existing problems, no matter how badly conservatives want to keep them buried.
    Other POTUSs haven't injected themselves into these sort of issues. Feel free to give me an example if you can think of one.

    Other POTUSs haven't publicly acknowledged having a 'chip on their shoulder' because to their mixed race status or admitted to hiding his 'Whiteness' from other while growing up.

    Maybe I'm just mistaken and it happens in every presidency.

  9. #29
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    Yes...race has never been a problem. It like everything else is Obama's fault...
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Has obama brought the races together

    I don´t think he had an impact, except for bringing the racists out of the woodwork.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •