View Poll Results: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • United States

    40 45.45%
  • England

    14 15.91%
  • The USSR

    34 38.64%
  • China

    0 0%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 192

Thread: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

  1. #61
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    The truly outstanding performance of the U. S. Navy during WWII makes me believe the U. S. played the crucial role. All the allies gave all they had and held nothing back, but our navy made it all possible. We built that navy and manned those ships, and they were pivotal in delivering men, material, and destruction to Japan, Germany, and Italy. We fought on their soil - they didn't fight on ours.

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    How would the US have launched the D-Day landings had Britain surrendered in 1940?

    The contribution of the US was critical to the final victory, but so were the British and Russian contributions. All three were essential.
    If Britain had surrendered, we would have either sent troops to the eastern front, or done nothing.

    If both Britain and the Soviets had surrendered, we might have fallen into a "phony war" where not much of anything happened, and maybe even some awkward peace was agreed to.

    Even though Japan was also far away, it was the relatively small "island hopping" that made battle with them possible. An amphibious invasion of Europe would have had to be much larger and longer distance with no intermediate steps.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Stalin's war effort might've very well faltered if it were not for the resources provided by the United States' lend-lease program. Likewise, Japan could've wreaked some pretty serious havoc in Siberia if we had not been around to keep their forces otherwise occupied.

    Ultimately, the Allied war effort in Europe could be looked upon as being a "hammer and anvil" sort of situation. The USSR played the role of the anvil, keeping the brunt of German forces locked in place, while the US and UK played the part of the hammer, coming in to slam them from behind.

    Taken individually, neither element is especially effective. In combination, however; they are devastating.
    Good afternoon, Gathomass88.

    Excellent post, and outstanding analogy! In addition, let's remember that it was Eisenhower who visited the concentration camps, and was so outraged with what he saw that he had the German villagers... who claimed they didn't know what was taking place inside those camps... visit the camps and take care of the surviving prisoners being held there. They truly may not have known what was taking place, or were in denial because it was so horrible, but they willingly did as he asked. :

    My grandfather left me his entire collection of Readers Digest magazines from those times, and it is very sad reading, sufficient to make one cry in horror while reading the stories!

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good afternoon, Gathomass88.

    Excellent post, and outstanding analogy! In addition, let's remember that it was Eisenhower who visited the concentration camps, and was so outraged with what he saw that he had the German villagers... who claimed they didn't know what was taking place inside those camps... visit the camps and take care of the surviving prisoners being held there. They truly may not have known what was taking place, or were in denial because it was so horrible, but they willingly did as he asked. :

    My grandfather left me his entire collection of Readers Digest magazines from those times, and it is very sad reading, sufficient to make one cry in horror while reading the stories!
    Hey Polagra.

    It is truly horrifying to see what human beings are capable of when they cut loose, isn't it? The Nazis weren't even the worst offenders in this regard historically speaking.

    Thankfully, it seems that we are capable of good things as well.

    Where WW2 is concerned, I simply wish that people would take nationalistic ego out of the equation every once in a while and look at things objectively. The war was always more of a group effort than anything else.

  5. #65
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    If Britain had surrendered, we would have either sent troops to the eastern front, or done nothing.

    If both Britain and the Soviets had surrendered, we might have fallen into a "phony war" where not much of anything happened, and maybe even some awkward peace was agreed to.

    Even though Japan was also far away, it was the relatively small "island hopping" that made battle with them possible. An amphibious invasion of Europe would have had to be much larger and longer distance with no intermediate steps.
    Which is why IMO it would have taken 5 years longer at least to win, and possibly 10
    I'm not at all sure the US populous would have put up with 5 more years of war, let alone 10.
    Or even if we would have entered the war, if the UK went down and the USSR out of the picture later on...
    But if they had, I think the US might have been able to retake Europe...might.

    But it would have been far more difficult.
    Especially since Germany would have gained access to the UK's tech, and also have more time to develop their own - we would have ended up still in the war in 1950s, and the dogfights would be between jet fighters. Probably a bunch more nukes dropped all over, since Germany was working on that **** too, not to mention the USSR and the UK (I think the UK, unsure).

    Assuming Nazi Germany didn't break apart from within during that time - I know there were various internal disagreements, and several in-house assassination attempts on Hitler...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #66
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,727

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    all make good points about the respective countries but the fact remains, the USA eventually would have won without the Russians and the British. Neither of those two could have won without the others in the alliance



  7. #67
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Which is why IMO it would have taken 5 years longer at least to win, and possibly 10
    I'm not at all sure the US populous would have put up with 5 more years of war, let alone 10.
    Or even if we would have entered the war, if the UK went down and the USSR out of the picture later on...
    But if they had, I think the US might have been able to retake Europe...might.

    But it would have been far more difficult.
    Especially since Germany would have gained access to the UK's tech, and also have more time to develop their own - we would have ended up still in the war in 1950s, and the dogfights would be between jet fighters. Probably a bunch more nukes dropped all over, since Germany was working on that **** too, not to mention the USSR and the UK (I think the UK, unsure).

    Assuming Nazi Germany didn't break apart from within during that time - I know there were various internal disagreements, and several in-house assassination attempts on Hitler...
    Excellent post. I think all of your scenarios would have been plausible.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #68
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    all make good points about the respective countries but the fact remains, the USA eventually would have won without the Russians and the British. Neither of those two could have won without the others in the alliance
    I always used to believe that Germany could have won had they taken their time and knocked off each country one or two at a time instead of stretching themselves too thin by taking on the entire world at once.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,945
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Well?
    Now this could be a very deep subject or a shallow one. It all depends on the well.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,945
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Well?
    On the serious side, I would have to say England as that little country kept Germany at bay from 1939 to December of 1941 which gave the United States time to get ready. Then too, who knows what would have happened if Hitler honored his non-agression pact with the USSR. but there are so many what ifs, they could fill dozens of books.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •