View Poll Results: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • United States

    40 45.45%
  • England

    14 15.91%
  • The USSR

    34 38.64%
  • China

    0 0%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 192

Thread: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    how would have Germany launched a successful attack against us. By 43 our submarines were far superior to theirs, our destroyers far more able to take out UBoats, and our heavy bombers were much much better than theirs. The one thing they had was Jets but those had very limited range. we also had far better radar and (while lots of people don't know this) the infra red weapons sight technology was a huge advantage-infrared equipped small arms inflicted a huge number of casualties upon the Japanese on Okinawa for example and neither the Germans nor the Japanese had any real effective countermeasures for the P61 Black Widow fighters
    I doubt they would have. They would have had most of Europe and would really have needed time to assimilate all that new territory.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I doubt they would have. They would have had most of Europe and would really have needed time to assimilate all that new territory.
    probably and sooner or later it would have all blown up. We'd have taken the Japanese out faster without having a European campaign and from then on, we'd be able to pound germany with high altitude B29 strikes and constrict it with a far superior naval blockade.



  3. #23
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    probably and sooner or later it would have all blown up. We'd have taken the Japanese out faster without having a European campaign and from then on, we'd be able to pound germany with high altitude B29 strikes and constrict it with a far superior naval blockade.
    I do not think it would have gone quite that way. With a collapsed England, and the war in Europe essentially over without us stirring it up, we would probably have taken out Japan for Pearl Harbor and negotiated peace with Germany. Ofcourse this is all getting highly speculative.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #24
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not think it would have gone quite that way. With a collapsed England, and the war in Europe essentially over without us stirring it up, we would probably have taken out Japan for Pearl Harbor and negotiated peace with Germany. Ofcourse this is all getting highly speculative.
    that's a decent speculation but the paranoia of Hitler and the resentment his peasant roots stirred in the aristocracy that ran the Wehrmacht would have lead to all sorts of instability and we'd have the stuff to take them out by 45 anyway

    and while they were racing to get the bomb, we had the means to drop it on germany

    them-not so much



  5. #25
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No one country claims the title of being most valuable. If not for the efforts of England, The United States and The Soviet Union, Axis forces would have won.

    It could be credibly argued that The United States brought a level of generalship to the table that was priceless, which I believe to be true, but I also believe that only two of the Big Three had no chance of winning.
    I would disagree. People forget that the Atomic Bomb wasn't invented for use against Japan, but against Germany. A U.K./U.S. Bi-lat effort would have taken much longer, and we would likely have ended up reducing much of the European continent to ash, but we still would have won.

    The U.S. is the indispensable member of the Big Three: with it, they win. Without it, they lose.

  6. #26
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Canada.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  7. #27
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,298
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    This answer might surprise some of my compatriots but without a doubt the United States was the most important allied member.

    One of the largest reasons for this, was because their industrial output was the only of the major powers not to be attacked.

    The USA as with World War I brough the 3 M's with it.

    Men

    Money

    Morale

    Highly important in both conflicts and particularly their industrial output which was shipped to both the USSR and the UK helped keep things churning.

  8. #28
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Canada.
    You've been watching "The Devil's Brigade" again?



  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    The US. Our ability to produce massive amounts of material out of the reach of the Axis or Japanese bombers would have won the war eventually even with out the Soviets..
    This. Our ability to churn out war materials like it was nobody's business, combined with our relative safety from the enemy geography-wise, had the biggest impact.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Canada.
    I wanted to vote France.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •