View Poll Results: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • United States

    40 45.45%
  • England

    14 15.91%
  • The USSR

    34 38.64%
  • China

    0 0%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 192

Thread: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

  1. #171
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It is a toss up for me. I used to think, as an American, the USA. Now that I know more the UK contribution was huge.

    I say:
    1. USA or UK
    2. USSR

    They really won North Africa. They delayed the Germans invasion of Russia in Greece (which may have saved Russia), they were the real code breakers in Europe, the held off the Germans in the Battle of Britain, they secured the Middle East (Palestine and Iraq), they stopped the Japanese, with Indian help, in Burma, they destroyed the German Navy, they were integral in D-Day and the Western Front, they fought the Germans in Norway, they were the first to really set up a French Underground network, they were huge in the bombing of Germany... the UK was insanely important.
    A little trivia, without Polish contributions, UK code-breaking would may not have existed.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  2. #172
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    As predicted by Patton. He lobbied on several occasions to push on to Moscow.



    Link to Quote
    Not just Patton, but everybody knew what would happen. Churchill and others also pushed for a war with the Soviets (though Churchill also had a bit of madness in him), and when the Soviets intentionally withheld and even blocked aid to the Poles during the Warszawa uprising, even a fool could see what would happen.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  3. #173
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    It's difficult to say for sure which Allied nation played the most crucial role. The United States gave the most money and arms to other Allied countries so in terms of finances, we were the greatest Allied power. Also, there's a misconception that Russia was a great power at this time because quite frankly they weren't a great power militarily. The only thing that stopped the Germans from completely over running Russia was the vast territory they would have had to supply. It wasn't Russia's troops that stopped and occupied Hitler's troops per say, but on the contrary it was the Germans over shooting their own supply lines. Meanwhile, U.S. factories continued to churn out military supplies without any real threat of bombing from opposing countries.

    In my opinion, it's hard to argue that the U.S. wasn't the greatest Allied power because I think it would've been the only country that had any chance of stopping Japan and Germany on it's own. Plus we had a "two-ocean navy" at the time. Meaning our navy's size and strength was larger and stronger than any other presence in both the Pacific and Atlantic

  4. #174
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Started right after WW2, IIRC, as the Allies were dividing the spoils of war, and Russia was claiming its share of Eastern bloc countries. That's simplistic, but basically correct, I believe, for what we consider the "modern" and expansive USSR.


    What in the world are you talking about?
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  5. #175
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The USSR was the only nation capable of defeating the Nazis. The U.S. was the only nation capable of defeating Japan. These facts are easily backed up if you look at the break down of which nation caused the various losses suffered by the Axis.
    Actually, by 1945, we had the Bomb and could have defeated any nation on earth by 1947, including the Soviet Union and China at the same time.
    Last edited by Sig; 11-11-13 at 11:50 PM.
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  6. #176
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by SappinThePubs View Post
    It's difficult to say for sure which Allied nation played the most crucial role. The United States gave the most money and arms to other Allied countries so in terms of finances, we were the greatest Allied power. Also, there's a misconception that Russia was a great power at this time because quite frankly they weren't a great power militarily. The only thing that stopped the Germans from completely over running Russia was the vast territory they would have had to supply. It wasn't Russia's troops that stopped and occupied Hitler's troops per say, but on the contrary it was the Germans over shooting their own supply lines. Meanwhile, U.S. factories continued to churn out military supplies without any real threat of bombing from opposing countries.

    In my opinion, it's hard to argue that the U.S. wasn't the greatest Allied power because I think it would've been the only country that had any chance of stopping Japan and Germany on it's own. Plus we had a "two-ocean navy" at the time. Meaning our navy's size and strength was larger and stronger than any other presence in both the Pacific and Atlantic
    Hello Sapppin.... Welcome to DP!
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  7. #177
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Well?
    The United States. Without the intercession of America it is a certainty that Europe would have fallen to the Soviet Union and Asia would have buckled under the boot of the Japanese Empire. For that reason the United States is the unquestioned critical power of the Second World War. Now if your question was who played the largest role in the defeat of the Third Reich it would probably be the USSR.

  8. #178
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    A little trivia, without Polish contributions, UK code-breaking would may not have existed.
    My great-uncle (grandfather's brother) had studied at the Poznań U in the same class as Henryk Zygalski.

    Just bragging.

  9. #179
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    This "zero" for China made me think...

    OK, I am a proud American citizen, but I am also a 50% Pole, 1/4 German, 1/8 Russian, 1/16 Swede and 1/16 Lithuanian - and an immigrant in first generation. It is only too natural that for me the WWII means the invasion of my ancestral land, the slaughterhouse of Eastern Europe in 1939-45, and the Holocaust in particular, first and foremost.

    But for the USA, the war did not really start until Pearl Harbor, more than two years after Hitler and Stalin attacked and dismembered Poland...I would think that at least someone should what China and Korea were going through - and how much their resistance had slowed down the war machine of the Axis....

  10. #180
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Most Important Allied Member of WWII

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Actually, by 1945, we had the Bomb and could have defeated any nation on earth by 1947, including the Soviet Union and China at the same time.
    The U.S. had 13 low yield nuclear weapons in 1947. The combined destructive power of said weapons is dramatically less than the conventional damage suffered by Germany, the USSR or China during WW2.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •