View Poll Results: Is God a male or a female?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Female

    6 16.67%
  • Male

    8 22.22%
  • Combination

    22 61.11%
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 184

Thread: Is God male or female?

  1. #141
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,054

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    You should read John again, I've done a full study on the book, time after time it shows Christ as God. "I and the Father are one."
    I am re-reading it. ... and, congratulations, John 10:30 is probably the second strongest arguments for the Trinity (or at least arguing in favor of equating Christ with God), but it is still a pretty weak argument. It does not say "I am God", it says "I and the Father are one."..... they are not the same thing. Does this mean, which many interpret it as a metaphor such that "I and the Father are of the same purpose" or another interpretation can mean (kind of reconciling the two) I, am the Son and the Father is my Father and We are one (of one family in common purpose such that "I speak for my father")? Can you say wit authority that those interpretations are not correct?

    Similarly, Genesis 2:24 states "...Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh...." and Jesus quotes this scripture in Matthew 5 as ".....and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.....” My wife and I are "one"... we are "one flesh".... but, as I sit here, the rest of my flesh, the rest of my one, is 120 miles away. My wife and I are of one purpose; our marriage a single entity in the eyes of God, but I am not my wife and she is not me..... we are both Smith's, but we are not the same.

    Sorry, again, the idea of the Trinity is a creation of biblical scholars (and politicians) in the 4th century based upon a biblical argument (and obviously a pretty good argument to survive time) But, that is all it is. I stand on my original point: No where in the Bible does it explicitly state that Jesus was God. The problem is, too many Christians take the Trinity as Gospel Truth, when its just a good argument set forth by man.

    All of the fundamental precepts of Christian and Jewish faith are clearly set forth in the Bible. Most of those precepts are explicit; they do not require biblical scholars, but rather just someone reading the Bible that has a heart for the Lord. If the Trinity is such an important precept why is it hidden and why did it take scholars to tell us it was there?

    Again, 2 Timothy 3:16-17: "...All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work...." So, if the Trinity is correct, where is it?

    BTW... despite what the Catholic Church might tell you, your salvation is NOT dependent on believing Jesus is God; its dependent on acknowledgment of your brokenness, God's grace and your faith that Jesus is the Son (and Lamb) of God.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 08-30-13 at 08:51 PM.

  2. #142
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I am re-reading it. ... and, congratulations, John 10:30 is probably the second strongest arguments for the Trinity (or at least arguing in favor of equating Christ with God), but it is still a pretty weak argument. It does not say "I am God", it says "I and the Father are one."..... they are not the same thing. Does this mean, which many interpret it as a metaphor such that "I and the Father are of the same purpose" or another interpretation can mean (kind of reconciling the two) I, am the Son and the Father is my Father and We are one (of one family in common purpose such that "I speak for my father")? Can you say wit authority that those interpretations are not correct?

    Similarly, Genesis 2:24 states "...Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh...." and Jesus quotes this scripture in Matthew 5 as ".....and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.....” My wife and I are "one"... we are "one flesh".... but, as I sit here, the rest of my flesh, the rest of my one, is 120 miles away. My wife and I are of one purpose; our marriage a single entity in the eyes of God, but I am not my wife and she is not me..... we are both Smith's, but we are not the same.

    Sorry, again, the idea of the Trinity is a creation of biblical scholars (and politicians) in the 4th century based upon a biblical argument (and obviously a pretty good argument to survive time) But, that is all it is. I stand on my original point: No where in the Bible does it explicitly state that Jesus was God. The problem is, too many Christians take the Trinity as Gospel Truth, when its just a good argument set forth by man.

    All of the fundamental precepts of Christian and Jewish faith are clearly set forth in the Bible. Most of those precepts are explicit; they do not require biblical scholars, but rather just someone reading the Bible that has a heart for the Lord. If the Trinity is such an important precept why is it hidden and why did it take scholars to tell us it was there?

    Again, 2 Timothy 3:16-17: "...All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work...." So, if the Trinity is correct, where is it?

    BTW... despite what the Catholic Church might tell you, your salvation is NOT dependent on believing Jesus is God; its dependent on acknowledgment of your brokenness, God's grace and your faith that Jesus is the Son (and Lamb) of God.
    John 1 also claims Jesus to be God. "And the Word (Jesus) was God."
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    The answers to your question are respectively "neither" and, if you want to get technical about things, "male."

    It is "neither" because God is ultimately a sexless incorporeal spirit of limitless power and intelligence.

    That being said, however; it should be pointed out that Christ was, and according to most theology, still is, a man. Therefore, God can, technically speaking, be said to be "male" in nature rather than female.
    Jehovah or Yahweh as he is sometimes called is most certainly a male. I voted female because I am a servant of Manager. Manager is clearly a female.

  4. #144
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Jehovah or Yahweh as he is sometimes called is most certainly a male. I voted female because I am a servant of Manager. Manager is clearly a female.
    You're talking about your wife, right?










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Neither. God is not a person. Any description that attaches personal attributes to God are just very vague analogies that allow man to imagine *something*, at least a remote glimpse of God, but the analogy should not be mistaken for reality. God is incomprehensible by definition, as the comprehended (man) can never fully understand the comprehending (God).

    It is my belief that God sent countless messengers or prophets to mankind, who founded new religions or rather "updated" old ones. Among others, Abraham, Moses, Krishna, Zarathustra, Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed and Baha'u'llah were such divine prophets sent by the one and only God, and accordingly, all of the religions they founded are equally true. Differences in these religions are due to the necessities of a fallible, developing mankind in different stages of its development.

    That's a fundamental teaching of my religion, so I have to conclude that all those seemingly conflicting images of God and metaphysical explanations in these different religions are equally true, and where we perceive unreconcilable differences, we either don't try hard enough to concile them, or hit the barrier of our limited fallible human understanding.

    The different religions are just looking at the same reality from different perspectives. Likewise, God is not anymore a person than He is a force, a principle or a manner of thinking.
    This sounds like the same religion of Rainn Wilson. I think it's called Baha'i. If not, to what religion are you referring?

  6. #146
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Well?
    I've always been confused over people's fuss over 'god's gender' - why can't a creature exist without gender?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #147
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    You're talking about your wife, right?
    He has to be. My old man always referred to me as the Boss. I thought that concept was a given.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Why would god have a sex or gender? Is there some other god to **** and reproduce with that we aren't aware of?

  9. #149
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,916
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I am re-reading it. ... and, congratulations, John 10:30 is probably the second strongest arguments for the Trinity (or at least arguing in favor of equating Christ with God), but it is still a pretty weak argument. It does not say "I am God", it says "I and the Father are one."..... they are not the same thing. Does this mean, which many interpret it as a metaphor such that "I and the Father are of the same purpose" or another interpretation can mean (kind of reconciling the two) I, am the Son and the Father is my Father and We are one (of one family in common purpose such that "I speak for my father")? Can you say wit authority that those interpretations are not correct?

    Similarly, Genesis 2:24 states "...Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh...." and Jesus quotes this scripture in Matthew 5 as ".....and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.....” My wife and I are "one"... we are "one flesh".... but, as I sit here, the rest of my flesh, the rest of my one, is 120 miles away. My wife and I are of one purpose; our marriage a single entity in the eyes of God, but I am not my wife and she is not me..... we are both Smith's, but we are not the same.

    Sorry, again, the idea of the Trinity is a creation of biblical scholars (and politicians) in the 4th century based upon a biblical argument (and obviously a pretty good argument to survive time) But, that is all it is. I stand on my original point: No where in the Bible does it explicitly state that Jesus was God. The problem is, too many Christians take the Trinity as Gospel Truth, when its just a good argument set forth by man.

    All of the fundamental precepts of Christian and Jewish faith are clearly set forth in the Bible. Most of those precepts are explicit; they do not require biblical scholars, but rather just someone reading the Bible that has a heart for the Lord. If the Trinity is such an important precept why is it hidden and why did it take scholars to tell us it was there?

    Again, 2 Timothy 3:16-17: "...All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work...." So, if the Trinity is correct, where is it?

    BTW... despite what the Catholic Church might tell you, your salvation is NOT dependent on believing Jesus is God; its dependent on acknowledgment of your brokenness, God's grace and your faith that Jesus is the Son (and Lamb) of God.
    I'd say female and she is my wife.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,797

    Re: Is God male or female?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I've always been confused over people's fuss over 'god's gender' - why can't a creature exist without gender?
    I guess it can but then the religious run into problems with the Bible as we were created in His image... we are male and female. What other image is there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •