View Poll Results: What grade would you give Obama?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

    2 2.53%
  • A-

    2 2.53%
  • B+

    2 2.53%
  • B-

    4 5.06%
  • C+

    18 22.78%
  • C-

    8 10.13%
  • D+

    11 13.92%
  • D-

    7 8.86%
  • F

    8 10.13%
  • F-

    17 21.52%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 93

Thread: What grade would you give Obama?

  1. #81
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    It is a myth and a falsehood that Obama ever had a Super Majority.
    This was a falsehood created by Republican pundits to make it look like it was Obama's fault that nothing was accomplished.
    Actually, it's neither a myth nor a falsehood.

    President Obama did have a supermajority in the Senate. It was only briefly, and I don't exactly know that I'd call it "functional", but it's a fact that he had one.

    And even if he didn't have a supermajority, the Democrats held 58 or 59 seats, functionally (not counting the Franken debacle or Byrd's hospitalization) for two years.

    If you're such a poor leader that you can't get anything done in two years despite the fact that your party holds the both House and 59 seats in the Senate then you're a C- president at best.

    Thanks for bringing this up and strengthening my case (at least in my own mind). I'm now absolutely convinced that C- is more than fair.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  2. #82
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Actually, it's neither a myth nor a falsehood.

    President Obama did have a supermajority in the Senate. It was only briefly, and I don't exactly know that I'd call it "functional", but it's a fact that he had one.

    And even if he didn't have a supermajority, the Democrats held 58 or 59 seats, functionally (not counting the Franken debacle or Byrd's hospitalization) for two years.

    If you're such a poor leader that you can't get anything done in two years despite the fact that your party holds the both House and 59 seats in the Senate then you're a C- president at best.

    Thanks for bringing this up and strengthening my case (at least in my own mind). I'm now absolutely convinced that C- is more than fair.
    No offense, but you just contradicted yourself and beat your own argument.
    There are 2 definitions of "Super Majority". One being 60 seats, the other being 66.
    The Democrats never held 60 seats. Not even briefly before the death of Kennedy.

    Saying that Obama should of been able to get something done with 57-59 seats is being intellectually dishonest, as we both know that there is absolutely no difference between 51 seats and 59 seats where the never ending string of filibusters are concerned.
    In today's Senate, there is actually no difference between 59 seats and 41 seats. Neither can get anything past the Republicans. Not even Republican ideas.
    However, this is a separate debate.
    My concern is the improper use of the term "Super Majority". Obama never had one. There is no gray area there.
    Last edited by Painter; 08-22-13 at 12:30 PM. Reason: changed 1 to 41 to make it correct*

  3. #83
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    No offense, but you just contradicted yourself and beat your own argument.
    There are 2 definitions of "Super Majority". One being 60 seats, the other being 66.
    The Democrats never held 60 seats. Not even briefly before the death of Kennedy.
    Yes, they did.

    In January of 2009 the Congressional year began with 56 elected Democrats and 2 Independents caucusing with the Dems.

    That equals 58.

    In April Arlen Specter switched parties.

    That equals 59.

    In July Al Franken was finally seated.

    That equals 60.

    So they had a supermajority there.

    In August Kennedy died.

    That brought the majority back down to 59.

    In September Paul Kirk was seated to fill the Kennedy vacancy.

    That brought it back up to 60.

    Again, a factual supermajority.

    Both Byrd and Kennedy (prior to his death) were in and out of the chamber during much of this nine-month time period but that doesn't change the fact that the Democrats held a supermajority.

    In January of 2010 Scott Brown replaced Kirk and brought the Dem. majority back down to 59 where it stayed until June when Byrd died bringing it down to 58 where it stayed until the midterms.

    My concern is the improper use of the term "Super Majority". There is no gray area there.
    I agree there's no gray area.

    You are very clearly wrong in a very black and white sense.
    Last edited by soot; 08-22-13 at 12:49 PM.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  4. #84
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Yes, they did.

    In January of 2009 the Congressional year began with 56 elected Democrats and 2 Independents caucusing with the Dems.

    That equals 58.

    In April Arlen Specter switched parties.

    That equals 59.

    In July Al Franken was finally seated.

    That equals 60.

    So they had a supermajority there.

    In August Kennedy died.

    That brought the majority back down to 59.

    In September Paul Kirk was seated to fill the Kennedy vacancy.

    That brought it back up to 60.

    Again, a factual supermajority.

    Both Byrd and Kennedy (prior to his death) were in and out of the chamber during much of this nine-month time period but that doesn't change the fact that the Democrats held a supermajority.

    In January of 2010 Scott Brown replaced Kirk and brought the Dem. majority back down to 59 where it stayed until June of '10 when Byrd died bringing it down to 58 where it stayed until the midterms.



    I agree there's no gray area.

    You are very clearly wrong in a very black and white sense.
    There were only four months where the full 60 were available to vote.

    Not enough time to carry out an entire Administration's worth of work.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  5. #85
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    10-09-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    290

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
    What grade would you give Obama?

    Just curiously asking.
    C-
    Don't ask Don't tell repealed.
    Got Osama with Bush walked away
    Wound down Iraq and Afghan wars
    ACA passed but could have been a better bill.
    But
    Finance Reform is a joke; people that caused the problem are
    in the Administration -- Larry Summers, et al.
    Too timid when dealing with Congress;
    Too many pivots.

  6. #86
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    2 Independents caucusing with the Dems.
    According to you, they had it for a couple of weeks at best.
    Yeah it is such a shame that Obama did not accomplish glorious things in those 2 weeks. (sarcasm)

    Anyhow, your still wrong.
    2 Independents are not Democrats. And 1 of those 2 Independents was Leiberman, who despised Obama more than you do.
    While Kennedy was alive, Leiberman did a better job at blocking Universal Health Care than the entire Republican Party as a whole.
    In fact, Leiberman is the entire reason they bowed out and had to use the Republican model of Romney-Care.

    Your wrong technically, as Independents are simply not Democrats.
    But your also wrong practically, as Lieberman was never completely on their side and opposed Obama no less than any Republican.
    But your also wrong within your own argument, as 2 to 3 weeks of a super majority is also not enough time to achieve anything.

  7. #87
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Not enough time to carry out an entire Administration's worth of work.
    I completely agree.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  8. #88
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    According to you, they had it for a couple of weeks at best.
    Yeah it is such a shame that Obama did not accomplish glorious things in those 2 weeks. (sarcasm)
    I guess sarcasam is the best way to deal with the Obama administration.

    And don't get me wrong, I voted for the guy and had very high "hopes" for him.

    But he's proven to be an utter disapointment at every turn.

    Your wrong technically, as Independents are simply not Democrats.
    If that's what you want to pretend you go right on ahead and keep pretending.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    I can name all the states and most of the Presidents (but NOT the first 6 or 7).....SO WHAT....that does NOT make me a leader.
    IMO, President Obama has done a good job, considering the conditions and circumstances.
    I'm not giving Obama an F for his speaches. I'm giving him an F because of his foreign and domestic policies, for Obamacare, and for the bailouts.

    You may not agree with me, and that's fine, but I don't judge an entire presidency on Gaffes.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: What grade would you give Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    My own personal grading system

    A's - made progress worthy of having your face on currency, such as reforming the economy and educational systems into the envy of the world (e.g.)
    B's - fine. Did your job well, made some progress perhaps, but mostly just didn't screw anything up.
    C's - squandered opportunities and failed to deliver on expectations
    D's - clearly contributed to the decline of the country, such as economically and diplomatically as happened under Bush II.
    F - country goes into civil war
    That's a pretty solid grading system.

    I would give him a D+. I think he's a horrifically weak and indecisive leader and this hurt us economically and diplomatically.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •