View Poll Results: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 53.33%
  • No

    7 46.67%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Why would he need reprimand if he said it on air? Free speech?
    Freedom of speech has nothing to do with the situation.

    ESPN would be well within their right to reprimand him if they felt he deserved reprimanding but I haven't heard anything that should require that. The issue is old and I'm not sure why it's being brought up now but as I remember it he was commenting on Collins' views on Christianity and homosexual. He didn't say anything that should be considered offensive and it was within the context of the discussion.

  2. #22
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Freedom of speech has nothing to do with the situation.

    ESPN would be well within their right to reprimand him if they felt he deserved reprimanding but I haven't heard anything that should require that. The issue is old and I'm not sure why it's being brought up now but as I remember it he was commenting on Collins' views on Christianity and homosexual. He didn't say anything that should be considered offensive and it was within the context of the discussion.
    Right, the post I responded to made it sound like it absolutely 100% should be reprimanded. I understand ESPN is allowed to.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  3. #23
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Why would he need reprimand if he said it on air? Free speech?
    People don't have a right to free speech at work (the company is free to place limits on acceptable speech in the work place), nor do employers need to employ someone who engages in their right to free speech in a way that can harm the employers profit margins.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #24
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Right, the post I responded to made it sound like it absolutely 100% should be reprimanded.
    He should be reprimaneded because voicing a controversial opinion on non-sports issues have the potential to negatively impact ratings. As a matter of course, a smart broadcaster would reprimand any employee voicing controversial opinions that fall outside of the realm for which they've been hired. If he was a political commentator, it'd be a different story, but he's a sports analyst.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #25
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,784

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Regarding Broussard's recent comments condemning homosexuality in general and Jason Collins in particular, I'm looking to see how many of our board members are sympathetic to this statement:
    I dont know if he is a bigot it definitely seems that is the case but i dont have enough info

    is this all he said?
    Broussard was called a bigot and a purveyor of hate speech when he said an NBA player who had come out as gay was living in “open rebellion to God.” Broussard said the player, Jason Collins, was “living in unrepentant sin” because the Bible condemns homosexuality.
    if this is all he said then i would say no he isnt a bigot for that alone but id have to see all the speech and comments

    does he actively fight against equal rights for gays? if he does then he is a bigot

    and has far as spriggs comment about more courage? he is completely full of **** lol

    also saying that on air as a commentator/reporter on a sports show can and should get him fired/punished
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    He should be reprimaneded because voicing a controversial opinion on non-sports issues have the potential to negatively impact ratings. As a matter of course, a smart broadcaster would reprimand any employee voicing controversial opinions that fall outside of the realm for which they've been hired. If he was a political commentator, it'd be a different story, but he's a sports analyst.
    I don't see how you could possibly make the argument that a professional athlete's sexuality is a political issue and should should only be discussed by political commentators nor do I see anything that should be held as controversial, unless you just hate Christians, but do your views extend to people who spoke positively about his coming out?
    Last edited by Dapper Andy; 08-22-13 at 05:55 PM.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    I voted "yes" because ESPN is the spawn of Satan, and I can't stand that garbage station. Between ESPN and Yahoo, they can both fall off the edge of the earth for all I care.

    I have no idea what this guy actually said or did. I just have a strong prejudice against the station in general, so screw them and everyone who works for them.

  8. #28
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    He didn't say anything that should have been seen as controversial but, as silly as your point is, does it extend to people who spoke positively about his coming out?
    You think that companies protecting their profit margins is silly? That's a very odd position to have.

    No, because speaking positively about his coming out doesn't appear to negatively impact ratings, whereas comments which are perceived as bigoted (regardless of whether or not they actually are bigoted) have been known to negatively impact ratings.

    think of it this way, if a basketball analyst said "The Christians are bigots and homophobes for denouncing homosexuality" on-air, do you think it would warrant a reprimand form ESPN? I do.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    I dont know if he is a bigot it definitely seems that is the case but i dont have enough info

    is this all he said?

    Broussard was called a bigot and a purveyor of hate speech when he said an NBA player who had come out as gay was living in “open rebellion to God.” Broussard said the player, Jason Collins, was “living in unrepentant sin” because the Bible condemns homosexuality.
    Not exactly. The full quote that pertains to this discussion is:

    If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, (but) adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals … I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ, I would not characterize that person as a Christian, because I don’t think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian.
    I think people are going out on an awfully far limb to classify Broussard as a bigot for that.

  10. #30
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is ESPN's Chris Broussard a bigot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Not exactly. The full quote that pertains to this discussion is:

    I think people are going out on an awfully far limb to classify Broussard as a bigot for that.
    I just looked up the context further, and I retract my claims about him being reprimanded by ESPN. The context was him being asked his opinion on the matter by someone else, which is a very different context than simply providing an unsolicited opinion. He would not deserve a reprimand for that.

    My apologies for making my claim from a position of ignorance.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •