View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 99 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 990 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #981
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Goodness! Just because an adult commits a crime does not classify it as a rational or an adult decision. LOL!
    So what if it is adult like or not. It is a crime. An adult commits a crime. A kid commits a crime. Why is one that commits an irrational non-adult like action absolved of the same consequence then? I think that you are seriously convoluting your argument. Seriously...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #982
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    I am against the death penalty, so... Listen or not, you forewarned.

    Putting kids to death for crimes committed is not a punishment on the kid, it's a punishment on the parent. Kids haven't lived long enough to even fully understand what they are missing by having their lives cut short. They simply don't care, because they don't have any grounding or basis for comparison.


    That said, we have judges, and pay them lots of money for a reason. This is a decision best left for a judge to decide on a case by case basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #983
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So what if it is adult like or not. It is a crime. An adult commits a crime. A kid commits a crime. Why is one that commits an irrational non-adult like action absolved of the same consequence then? I think that you are seriously convoluting your argument. Seriously...
    I've posted plenty of material to back up my assertions. You?

  4. #984

  5. #985
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Minors are no longer subject to capital punishment. See 2005 SCOTUS decision regarding the matter...
    That will be challenged. Twenty states have juvenile death penalty laws and there are 30 or so kids sitting on death row in these states with laws still not complying to the SCOTUS decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #986
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That will be challenged. Twenty states have juvenile death penalty laws and there are 30 or so kids sitting on death row in these states with laws still not complying to the SCOTUS decision.
    They sentence them AFTER they turn 18. Pretty slimy. Also, this decision was made in 2005. Eight years ago.

  7. #987
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I've posted plenty of material to back up my assertions. You?
    The material is biased and opinionated... there are no facts regarding this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #988
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The material is biased and opinionated... there are no facts regarding this issue.
    Most of it is not biased and opinionated. You just don't like the conclusions because you want to put kids to death.

    The SC seemed to take this kind of information VERY seriously. The information and some of the scientific studies I posted are what the SC used to come to their decision to outlaw the DP for minors, based on it being cruel and unusual punishment.
    Last edited by ChrisL; 08-25-13 at 09:17 PM.

  9. #989
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So what if it is adult like or not. It is a crime. An adult commits a crime. A kid commits a crime. Why is one that commits an irrational non-adult like action absolved of the same consequence then? I think that you are seriously convoluting your argument. Seriously...
    Do you know anything about how the human brain evolves?

  10. #990
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    some of the people on this forum already have these young men convicted and are ready to execute them. I don't go along with that kind of thinking.
    No one here is in a position of judgement of them. There are opinions expressed what the punishment should be if guilty with what is now known.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •