View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 94 of 114 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #931
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,888
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    You know what you call a adult who murders someone just because they are bored? A sociopath or a psychopath.
    Yep, we have many titles for the same circumstances. Doesn't make any of the titles less valid.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #932
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,888
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    None of this justifies killing kids. None of it. Back in the old west they killed people because they didn't really have a place to house them all. We have facilities now. We don't HAVE to kill anybody. We CHOOSE to. That's wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right. Now TWO families will have lost people. Putting kids to death is not helping anyone.
    Lol! Sorry but that is actually kind of funny considering the fact that many states are letting criminals go because they don't have a place to house all the criminals.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #933
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And yet...there are many people under the age of 18 that HAVE been tried as adults by those same courts and even quite possibly the same judges. Like me a judge recognizes the fact that the circumstances of what happened matters more than the age of the person. And the circumstances of the kids in the OP are certainly congruant with adult decisions.
    I disagree, and with the courts on this one as well.

  4. #934
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Kersey View Post
    Trying Juveniles as Adults: Why might a juvenile case be transferred to an adult court?

    The two most important qualities that will instigate a transfer from juvenile to adult court are age and the severity of a crime. For example, a fifteen-year-old who murders his teacher might very well be tried as an adult because of his proximity to adulthood and the viciousness of the crime.

    Trying Juveniles as Adults: How old does a minor have to be to be tried as an adult?

    This depends on the state in which the juvenile was charged for the crime. Some states impose age minimums as criteria for trying juveniles as adults, which may be as old as fifteen or as low as twelve. Other states allow any minor to be tried as an adult as long as he or she knows the difference between right and wrong.

    Trying Juveniles as Adults: What are the benefits of trying a juvenile in juvenile court?

    Many people believe that it is always better to try a juvenile in juvenile court, but here are some of the most common arguments:

    - Juvenile records are more easily sealed than adult records
    - Juvenile convictions are less likely to make an impact on the child's future than an adult conviction
    - Sentences handed down in juvenile court are often less severe and are sometimes tailored to the juvenile's individual situation
    - Sentences for incarceration are usually shorter in juvenile courts, and judges are not able to hand down lengthy jail sentences, such as life imprisonment.
    - Jail sentences are served in juvenile detention centers rather than jails or prisons.

    Trying Juveniles as Adults: What are the benefits of trying a juvenile as an adult?

    There are actually several reasons why an adult court would be in the best interest of a minor:

    - Adult courts allow juveniles to have their cases heard in a jury trial.
    - Large cities often have overfilled dockets, and the case might be disposed of more quickly or even dismissed.
    - Adult courts may have more sympathy for a minor than a court that hears juvenile cases all the time.


    EDIT;
    Accidentally lost the source I used above. Sorry. I googled the question, though. Anyone can find it.
    I don't have a big problem with a 16 or 17 year old getting LWOP for a particularly heinous crime. Some adjustments should be made considering they are minors and at risk. There is also the problem with housing juveniles who are sentenced to LWOP. Where do we house them until they are adults? We don't want to throw them in with the adults, but we also don't want them around other juveniles who have committed lesser crimes. I'm not sure if any other states have come up with solutions for these issues.

  5. #935
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Lol! Sorry but that is actually kind of funny considering the fact that many states are letting criminals go because they don't have a place to house all the criminals.
    That's because all of the money is being spent on appeals processes for those on death row. Did you read my link about CA? Please read it.

  6. #936
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about serial killers or mass murderers. Serial killers are a "special" case. Those are people who thrive on killing and actually enjoy it. Some of them have claimed they can't live without killing and how it's a part of who they are. I don't know what to do with people like that.
    It does change things, doesn't it. In general, I would hope that if there is any chance to reform we attempt that. In the case of people who commit crimes like serial killers I am less inclined to believe reform is possible; people do get too broken to repair. So if I use the potential for reform as a guide I would probably not support the death penalty for these boys (as awful as what they did was) because while the act was heinous, they are just boys and I would not judge this act the same coming from a 15yr old boy as I would coming from a 35 yr old man. At 15, your brain isn't even fully developed, seems like there is a much greater likelihood that they are not beyond reform. I am just not sure what the eye for an eye mentality actually accomplishes other than satisfying someones need for revenge.

  7. #937
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    30n x 90w
    Last Seen
    11-27-13 @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't have a big problem with a 16 or 17 year old getting LWOP for a particularly heinous crime. Some adjustments should be made considering they are minors and at risk. There is also the problem with housing juveniles who are sentenced to LWOP. Where do we house them until they are adults? We don't want to throw them in with the adults, but we also don't want them around other juveniles who have committed lesser crimes. I'm not sure if any other states have come up with solutions for these issues.
    There are plenty of federal juvenile facilities where they would stay until they are 18..after that they go to real prisons for the rest of their sentence.

  8. #938
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Lol! Sorry but that is actually kind of funny considering the fact that many states are letting criminals go because they don't have a place to house all the criminals.
    Here you are. This is from a link I posted a couple or few pages back.

    California

    Assessment of Costs by Judge Arthur Alarcon and Prof. Paula Mitchell (2011, updated 2012)

    The authors concluded that the cost of the death penalty in California has totaled over $4 billion since 1978:

    $1.94 billion--Pre-Trial and Trial Costs
    $925 million--Automatic Appeals and State Habeas Corpus Petitions
    $775 million--Federal Habeas Corpus Appeals
    $1 billion--Costs of Incarceration
    The authors calculated that, if the Governor commuted the sentences of those remaining on death row to life without parole, it would result in an immediate savings of $170 million per year, with a savings of $5 billion over the next 20 years.

  9. #939
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Kersey View Post
    There are plenty of federal juvenile facilities where they would stay until they are 18..after that they go to real prisons for the rest of their sentence.
    What facilities are these? Please post links to back up your assertions.

  10. #940
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,888
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Meh, I don't need to argue this case anymore. These kids aren't getting the death penalty, so I'm pleased about that.
    Why am I not surprised that you won't address the content of my post. (btw, I never argued for the DP for these kids. The only time I addressed it was to argue for DP in general)
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 94 of 114 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •