View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 72 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #711
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Another question I have. Why wouldn't we then charge juveniles as adults for ALL crimes? If they are equal to adults, then perhaps we should just do away with having a juvenile system altogether and try everyone as an adult and just forget about rehabilitation altogether. We'll just fill up our prisons with all ages of criminals, lock them up altogether and forget about them. Is that a good plan?

    I agree that some crimes deserve harsher punishment than others even when it comes to juveniles, and sometimes perhaps adult punishment is applicable, but really no one can say in this particular case because all we've heard from really is the prosecution. THEY want to win the case, and they have a horse in this race, so you really can't take what they say about this case or these kids as gospel either.

  2. #712
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    such as?
    Craig Price for one. Do you really think this shooting is the worst crime committed by juveniles? LOL! That's naive. That's another reason why I'm really kind of surprised by how this case is being presented in the media. It's FAR from the most heinous.

    Craig Price (murderer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia




    not if he is a sociopath. I find it odd that you are going to such great lengths to bend over backwards to give these three murderers the benefit of the doubt. I taught at an inner city school for over a decade and saw hundreds, if not thousands, of teenagers like these three.
    That's fine, but that doesn't automatically mean these three are all sociopaths. In fact, that is HIGHLY unlikely.

  3. #713
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Another question I have. Why wouldn't we then charge juveniles as adults for ALL crimes?
    because not all juveniles are the same or develop at the same rate and not all crimes, or the manner in which they are committed, are the same. that is why the decision to charge a juvenile as an adult is made on a case by case basis.
    I agree that some crimes deserve harsher punishment than others even when it comes to juveniles, and sometimes perhaps adult punishment is applicable, but really no one can say in this particular case because all we've heard from really is the prosecution. THEY want to win the case, and they have a horse in this race, so you really can't take what they say about this case or these kids as gospel either.
    the prosecution has no vested interest in not charging these guys as juveniles. a win is a win whether they are charged as adults or not. I find it odd that you go out of your way to give the criminals in this case the benefit of the doubt, but immediately jump to the conclusion that the prosecution has an ulterior motive. I wonder why?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #714
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Craig Price for one. Do you really think this shooting is the worst crime committed by juveniles? LOL! That's naive. That's another reason why I'm really kind of surprised by how this case is being presented in the media. It's FAR from the most heinous.

    .
    you really should read your own links

    The case led to changes in state law to allow juveniles to be tried as adults for serious crimes, but these could not be applied retroactively to Price.[3]
    at the time...the state did not have the option to charge him as an adult. care to try again?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #715
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    because not all juveniles are the same or develop at the same rate and not all crimes, or the manner in which they are committed, are the same. that is why the decision to charge a juvenile as an adult is made on a case by case basis.

    the prosecution has no vested interest in not charging these guys as juveniles. a win is a win whether they are charged as adults or not. I find it odd that you go out of your way to give the criminals in this case the benefit of the doubt, but immediately jump to the conclusion that the prosecution has an ulterior motive. I wonder why?
    Because I see no evidence to indicate these kids are anything other than your typical juvenile murderers. There is really nothing special or exceptionally heinous about this case, other than the fact that they ALLEGEDLY said they were "bored."

    Is it bad to give the kids the benefit of the doubt? Does that make me evil to you? LOL!

    I've read up on prosecutors. Maybe you should too.

  6. #716
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    you really should read your own links



    at the time...the state did not have the option to charge him as an adult. care to try again?
    Okay, I missed that part. But do honestly believe that all juvenile murderers are charged as adults? Here's more.

    The Cutting Edge News

    Meanwhile, more than 60 other teens charged with murder since 1996 have escaped the maximum sentence, court records show, often pleading guilty to a lesser crime such as second degree murder, making them eligible for parole. Yet, many of these youths committed shocking, grisly crimes; one was convicted of beating a two-year-old to death. A review of these cases found no obvious pattern to explain why some killers got life without parole and others won lesser sentences. What is clear, however, is that the law has not been applied consistently to the most grievous of juvenile murder cases. Juveniles whose crimes approach the cruelty of O’Brien’s have escaped the harsh sentence, while spontaneous acts of violence by teenagers with little prior record are punished with life behind bars.

  7. #717
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Because I see no evidence to indicate these kids are anything other than your typical juvenile murderers.
    and I guess that's where our difference of opinion comes in. I believe all "murderers" should be charged as adults.

    Is it bad to give the kids the benefit of the doubt?
    it is when all you have to go on is your opinion

    Does that make me evil to you? LOL!
    strawman much? I never said or implied that you were evil....only mistaken and probably misguided.

    I've read up on prosecutors. Maybe you should too.
    I've been in law enforcement for the past 11 years. I can guarantee that I know more about prosecutors than you.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #718
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,554
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Hmm, I just reviewed some of the recent news articles about the case and I find something strange in the application of charges.

    The three teens are Jones, a 17 yo white kid who was driving the car; Luna, a 16 yo black kid who was sitting in the backseat and who shot the victim; Edwards, a 15 yo black kid who was riding in the passenger seat.

    Only Luna and Edwards were charged with First Degree Murder.
    Jones was charged with driving a vehicle used in discharge of a weapon and accessory after the fact.

    Why wasn't Jones charged with First Degree Murder? He did more than the 15 yo Edwards, who was apparently a passenger egging the issue on.

    From what little we know all three were culpable of conspiracy to commit murder, all three were in the car together when Luna shot the victim, so why is the oldest (who also happens to be white) not being charged with First Degree Murder? Did I miss something?
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  9. #719
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Okay, I missed that part. But do honestly believe that all juvenile murderers are charged as adults? Here's more.

    The Cutting Edge News
    from your link: one accepted a plea for a lesser sentence, the other took his chances in court and lost.

    and, FTR, I never claimed that all juvenile murderers are charged as adults.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #720
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and I guess that's where our difference of opinion comes in. I believe all "murderers" should be charged as adults.
    What if it's a 12-year-old? You're okay with putting a 12-year-old in jail for the rest of his or her life? You think they are on par with an adult in any sense at all?


    it is when all you have to go on is your opinion
    That's what you and others are doing too when you refer to them as "sociopaths." You are certainly not qualified to make such a diagnosis.



    strawman much? I never said or implied that you were evil....only mistaken and probably misguided.
    Well, it's obviously quite upsetting to you that I give them the benefit of the doubt instead of being judge, jury and executioner.


    I've been in law enforcement for the past 11 years. I can guarantee that I know more about prosecutors than you.
    Then you should be more than familiar with cases of prosecutorial misconduct.

    Police and Prosecutorial Misconduct | Midwest Innocence Project

Page 72 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •