View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 67 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #661
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Why would these guys think they wouldn't be caught ... can you summarize for me?

    I haven't read where they took great pains to cover their tracks.
    I haven't read where they tried to establish an alibi for each of them.
    Did they wear disguises? Did they paint the black car white?

    Are you sure you're not confusing "no fear of being caught" with "driven by something that overrides the fear of being caught".
    In many cases, what they think they can gain overrides their fear of getting caught. and in some cases they just don't care if they get caught
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #662
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    In many cases, what they think they can gain overrides their fear of getting caught. and in some cases they just don't care if they get caught
    The fact that these morons have had prior experience with the juvenile justice system and yet had avoided any serious consequences probably played into their decision to "go for it". As I understand it, they are gang "wanna bes" and may see this type of act giving them valuable "street cred" while doubting that any long sentence (past age 21) would ever result even if they were caught and faced "justice".
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #663
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,278

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    In many cases, what they think they can gain overrides their fear of getting caught. and in some cases they just don't care if they get caught
    That's what I was getting at ... to see if Chris could be clearer

  4. #664
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    how about you provide some actual quotes from these lengthy articles instead of expecting us to read through hundreds of pages to find your proof for you?

    I took the time to check your first link and the only thing relevent to cases like this if found was:

    I have had these young people come into my court charged with committing some violent acts as serious as murder, but they had not gone into the adult system, because it was a decision I made as a result of a fitness hearing that this person indeed was amenable to treatment. And in some cases--not all, but in some cases--I have been proved right.
    so, even after a fitness hearing determined they were amenable to treatment, it only worked in some cases. hardly a ringing endorsement of "experts claim these kids can be rehabilitated". In this case, in particular, I would be willing to bet that these three turds would not be found amenable to treatment.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #665
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    In many cases, what they think they can gain overrides their fear of getting caught. and in some cases they just don't care if they get caught
    I do believe that many criminals don't fear getting caught, and have always wondered if they're delusional, or... if more actually DO get away without being caught and the media and police never tell us otherwise law-abiding citizens that part.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #666
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The fact that these morons have had prior experience with the juvenile justice system and yet had avoided any serious consequences probably played into their decision to "go for it". As I understand it, they are gang "wanna bes" and may see this type of act giving them valuable "street cred" while doubting that any long sentence (past age 21) would ever result even if they were caught and faced "justice".
    exactly. at least one of them has laready had his shot at juvenile rehabilitation and blew it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #667
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I do believe that many criminals don't fear getting caught, and have always wondered if they're delusional, or... if more actually DO get away without being caught and the media and police never tell us otherwise law-abiding citizens that part.
    there are thousands of unsolved murders in this country. I would be willing to bet that more people get away with it than get caught. of if they do get caught it is only after they have committed dozens of crimes.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #668
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    there are thousands of unsolved murders in this country. I would be willing to bet that more people get away with it than get caught. of if they do get caught it is only after they have committed dozens of crimes.
    That's always been my suspicion, as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #669
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I do believe that many criminals don't fear getting caught, and have always wondered if they're delusional, or... if more actually DO get away without being caught and the media and police never tell us otherwise law-abiding citizens that part.
    Is that how you feel about juveniles too, because evidence contradicts that, as I've posted numerous times now. Since you guys apparently don't like to look at links, I've taken the liberty to quote just some relevant sections. It would be much better to read the entire thing, but whatever. Here is just ONE reason why teens should not be prosecuted as adults.

    Brain Connection » Powered by Posit Science - Your Brain Health Headquarters

    The researchers found that when processing emotions, adults have greater activity in their frontal lobes than do teenagers. Adults also have lower activity in their amygdala than teenagers. In fact, as teenagers age into adulthood, the overall focus of brain activity seems to shift from the amygdala to the frontal lobes.

    The frontal lobes of the brain have been implicated in behavioral inhibition, the ability to control emotions and impulses. The frontal lobes are also thought to be the place where decisions about right and wrong, as well as cause-effect relationships are processed. In contrast, the amygdala is part of the limbic system of the brain and is involved in instinctive “gut” reactions, including “fight or flight” responses. Lower activity in the frontal lobe could lead to poor control over behavior and emotions, while an overactive amygdala may be associated with high levels of emotional arousal and reactionary decision-making.

    The results from the McLean study suggest that while adults can to use rational decision making processes when facing emotional decisions, adolescent brains are simply not yet equipped to think through things in the same way. For example, when deciding whether to ride in a car driven by a drunk friend, an adult can usually put aside her desire to conform and is more likely to make the rational decision against drunk driving. However, a teenager’s immature frontal lobes may not be capable of such a coolly rational approach, and the emotional feelings of friendship may be likely to win the battle. As Dr. Yurgelun-Todd told U.S. News, “Good judgment is learned, but you can’t learn it if you don’t have the necessary hardware.”
    Jay Giedd and his colleagues at the National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH) have reached similar conclusions using a brain imaging technique that looks at brain structure rather than activity. Giedd’s results suggest that development in the frontal lobe continues throughout adolescence and well into the early twenties. The researchers found that the number of neurons in the frontal lobe continued to increase throughout childhood until an average age of 12.1 years for men and 10.2 years for women. Scientists previously thought that gray matter production and development only occurred during the first 18 months of life. The fact changes are still occurring in the brain during adolescence provides some evidence against some popular theories that suggest that our brains are hardwired during early childhood. These brain imaging studies instead suggest that adolescence may provide a sort of “second chance” to refine behavioral control and rational decision making.

    These studies may offer some hope to teenagers suffering from behavioral or emotional problems. The fact that the decision making centers of the brain continue to develop well into the early twenties could mean that troubled teenagers still have the time as well as the physiology to learn how to control their impulsive behaviors.

  10. #670
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What experts claim that folks who kill for the thrill of it (e.g. serial killers) can be rehabilitated?

    While a few morons assume that juveniles can still get the DP, the SCOTUS said no, so it is a non-issue.
    Whoever claimed that ALL juveniles can be rehabilitated. I said that they are the ones most worthy of rehabilitation and should not ever be charged as adults because they are NOT adults, even if they suffer from a mental illness. In fact, charging them as adults if they DO suffer from a mental illness is even more bogus.

Page 67 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •