View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 57 of 114 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #561
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, I am going to argue against the death penalty, especially when its urged to be brought upon teens, and it is topical since the question is should 15 and 16-year-olds be treated as adults.
    I agree with the decision made by SCOTUS regarding juveniles, but in other cases it is warranted. The only problem I have with those is the time it takes before the execution...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #562
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    How about a 22 year old? Yes, posters get emotional, but when you know the punishment is off the table, it doesn't make sense to argue about it...
    I forgot to address your 22-year-old question. Yes, they should be treated as adults, anyone over 18 should be. Some people will that's an "arbitrary" line to draw, but it really isn't because that is when most kids have completed their educations and are actually capable of living apart from mom and dad. Also, we HAVE to pick an age because when it comes to laws we can't possibly test every child, and I don't think a "maturity" test would be accurate or reliable anyway. So pick an age, and I prefer to pick a higher age rather than a younger age, that way I know that the children who are still immature are protected.

  3. #563
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I agree with the decision made by SCOTUS regarding juveniles, but in other cases it is warranted. The only problem I have with those is the time it takes before the execution...
    It takes so much time because of due process. You wouldn't really want to take that away from people either.

  4. #564
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It takes so much time because of due process. You wouldn't really want to take that away from people either.
    No, it's how lawyers make money...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #565
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, it's how lawyers make money...
    You should really educate yourself about the death penalty, the complications that run alongside it and the appeals process. It's a VERY complicated, long and drawn out procedure in the interest of making sure we aren't just executing people willy nilly. I think that is a GOOD thing, as would you if you had ever been convicted of a crime you didn't commit and sentenced to death. These things are IMPORTANT for goodness sakes! They protect US from the government.

    Why Do Death Penalty Cases Take So Long? Broden Mickelsen Law Blog

  6. #566
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You should really educate yourself about the death penalty, the complications that run alongside it and the appeals process. It's a VERY complicated, long and drawn out procedure in the interest of making sure we aren't just executing people willy nilly. I think that is a GOOD thing, as would you if you had ever been convicted of a crime you didn't commit and sentenced to death. These things are IMPORTANT for goodness sakes! They protect US from the government.

    Why Do Death Penalty Cases Take So Long? Broden Mickelsen Law Blog
    If I'm ever convicted and sentenced to death, so be it...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #567
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    If I'm ever convicted and sentenced to death, so be it...
    But you don't have a right to demand that from others who are now do you?

    Read this please. It just might change your mind. Unless you just want to remain like a stubborn old man who refuses to learn anything new.

    The Story Of Wrongly Accused and Convicted Jeffrey Scott Hornoff

  8. #568
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You should really educate yourself about the death penalty, the complications that run alongside it and the appeals process. It's a VERY complicated, long and drawn out procedure in the interest of making sure we aren't just executing people willy nilly. I think that is a GOOD thing, as would you if you had ever been convicted of a crime you didn't commit and sentenced to death. These things are IMPORTANT for goodness sakes! They protect US from the government.

    Why Do Death Penalty Cases Take So Long? Broden Mickelsen Law Blog
    ...and we still get it wrong often. Unfortunately, the process that was intended to be a safeguard has turned into something of a rubber stamp process. I believe that a defendant's best chance is at their initial trial. If you have to rely on appeals, you're pretty much sunk.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #569
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    But you don't have a right to demand that from others who are now do you?

    Read this please. It just might change your mind. Unless you just want to remain like a stubborn old man who refuses to learn anything new.

    The Story Of Wrongly Accused and Convicted Jeffrey Scott Hornoff
    I understand these cases occur. I was expressing a personal opinion. IMV, the courts should expedite these cases not have them standing in line with Joe's beef with his neighbor appeal to higher courts. What is a reasonable appeal time frame?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #570
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    You said they shouldn't be tried as adults and should be released when the state deems them "safe". License to kill.
    How is releasing someone after they've been rehabilitated and are no longer a danger to society a license to kill? Isn't that better than just releasing them after some arbitrary length of time?
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •