View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 56 of 114 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #551
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, and there are plenty of posts here advocating for the killing of these kids, which makes us better how? The only difference is the purpose of the killing. It's still killing helpless human beings, and in this instance immature human beings. To me that is disgusting.
    I see. Well, I think the topic of the OP was whether the perps should be tried as adults, not whether they should receive the death penalty. Again, no state I am aware of allows minors to receive the death penalty.

    Perhaps the specific issue of the death penalty is better left to another thread.

  2. #552
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Gotta get back to work now! See ya!

  3. #553
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This is explaining the way their brains function and to demonstrate that it is a bit different when a minor does this type of act than when a fully grown adult does it. It is not excusing their actions. Why can't you understand and acknowledge that? I've already stated MULTIPLE times that this is not excusing their actions but explaining the differences between minors and adults.
    and I'm saying that unless you are a complete retard or you are under the age of 10, you should know that the intentional killing of another person is wrong. shooting someone in the back cannot be attributed to poor judgement, risk taking or irresponsible behavior. These guys were not children. they are old enough to know that if you shoot someone there is a very good possibility that the person will die.

    like I said earlier, it's not like these were a bunch of 7-8 y/o's that found daddy's gun and were playing cops and robbers with it. it's not like they were out joy riding and throwing bottles at street signs and accidentally hit someone in the head.

    this was a planned and deliberate murder and, if the latest reports are correct, it was part of a gang initiation.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #554
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    It's also possible, given new information that has come out, that they gave the "being bored" excuse because they did not want to admit that the killing was part of gang related activity (which would, in many states, confer additional sentencing penalites under "special circumstances")
    I can accept that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #555
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    they would be hard to salvage and probably not worth the effort. and the guy is dead. That's what people tend to forget. a price has to be paid.
    Yes, incarceration where they won't be a threat to society anymore, AND we don't have to kill anyone either. It's a win-win situation.

  6. #556
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, incarceration where they won't be a threat to society anymore, AND we don't have to kill anyone either. It's a win-win situation.
    I believe SCOTUS already decided in 2005 that juveniles could not receive the death penalty, so that issue is off the table...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #557
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I believe SCOTUS already decided in 2005 that juveniles could not receive the death penalty, so that issue is off the table...
    Yes, they did, but it hasn't stopped some members for saying they want the death penalty to be imposed on teenagers. That's what I'm arguing against.

    I don't know about anyone else, but to me executing a 15-year-old is a horrible act.

  8. #558
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, they did, but it hasn't stopped some members for saying they want the death penalty to be imposed on teenagers. That's what I'm arguing against.

    I don't know about anyone else, but to me executing a 15-year-old is a horrible act.
    How about a 22 year old? Yes, posters get emotional, but when you know the punishment is off the table, it doesn't make sense to argue about it...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #559
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and I'm saying that unless you are a complete retard or you are under the age of 10, you should know that the intentional killing of another person is wrong. shooting someone in the back cannot be attributed to poor judgement, risk taking or irresponsible behavior. These guys were not children. they are old enough to know that if you shoot someone there is a very good possibility that the person will die.

    like I said earlier, it's not like these were a bunch of 7-8 y/o's that found daddy's gun and were playing cops and robbers with it. it's not like they were out joy riding and throwing bottles at street signs and accidentally hit someone in the head.

    this was a planned and deliberate murder and, if the latest reports are correct, it was part of a gang initiation.
    You are misunderstanding the data and the correlation I am making. The data states that because of those things, children and teens don't "process" their actions the same way that an adult does. A lot of times they act first and think about it later. These things and limitations are most definitely considered, as they should be, when sentencing a juvenile. They are NOT adults, and there are brain images that confirm this. Therefore, they are not capable of critical-thinking skills. They aren't retarded, but they don't have all the mental faculties that an adult has, so it is completely unfair to prosecute and sentence them as if they were adults.

  10. #560
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    How about a 22 year old? Yes, posters get emotional, but when you know the punishment is off the table, it doesn't make sense to argue about it...
    Yes, I am going to argue against the death penalty, especially when its urged to be brought upon teens, and it is topical since the question is should 15 and 16-year-olds be treated as adults.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •