View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 55 of 114 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #541
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    they were caught in front of the home of another boy they had threatened to kill because he refused to join their gang, they had the weapon used to kill Chris Lane with them, they implicated themselves in his murder.

    prosecutorial misconduct and wrongful conviction are not an issue here.
    No ****! That's what I acknowledged if you bothered to read my post. I said I'm talking about reasons to oppose the death penalty in general.

  2. #542
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And another thing, I've been reading through, and it's pretty stupid to make fun of prosecutorial misconduct. It happens a LOT more often than you would like to think. I'm not saying this happened in this case, but is just another reason to be anti death penalty. Just recently in my state there were TWO incidents of misconduct, more to do with the forensic lab employees though.

    Prosecutorial Misconduct Cases \| CIP
    This I would agree with, and mentioned it in my first post in this thread. It is possible that the facts of being bored were actually fed to them and then coerced from them. Not guaranteed, but possible.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #543
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm going as slowly as I possibly can.
    The "slow down" was referencing you lumping me in with others who advocate the DP specifically.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #544
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    “A number of psychologists have already shown that adolescents are not wholly responsible individuals and are inclined to take risks and behave in irresponsible ways,” said Nicholas Mackintosh,
    .”
    .
    the deliberate planning and commission of an execution of another human being is so far beyond "taking risks and behaving irresponsible" that it is laughable to make such a comparison.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #545
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This I would agree with, and mentioned it in my first post in this thread. It is possible that the facts of being bored were actually fed to them and then coerced from them. Not guaranteed, but possible.
    I am as doubtful about that as anyone else, but it certainly does happen.

  6. #546
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This I would agree with, and mentioned it in my first post in this thread. It is possible that the facts of being bored were actually fed to them and then coerced from them. Not guaranteed, but possible.
    It's also possible, given new information that has come out, that they gave the "being bored" excuse because they did not want to admit that the killing was part of gang related activity (which would, in many states, confer additional sentencing penalites under "special circumstances")
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #547
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    the deliberate planning and commission of an execution of another human being is so far beyond "taking risks and behaving irresponsible" that it is laughable to make such a comparison.
    This is explaining the way their brains function and to demonstrate that it is a bit different when a minor does this type of act than when a fully grown adult does it. It is not excusing their actions. Why can't you understand and acknowledge that? I've already stated MULTIPLE times that this is not excusing their actions but explaining the differences between minors and adults.

  8. #548
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The "slow down" was referencing you lumping me in with others who advocate the DP specifically.
    Well I wasn't, I was just explaining why I'm against it to you because said I lost you.

  9. #549
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No ****! That's what I acknowledged if you bothered to read my post. I said I'm talking about reasons to oppose the death penalty in general.
    I think that the death penalty should only be imposed in cases where there is no doubt as to the guilt of the suspect. ie they are caught in the act or on video or they confess and the physical evidence backs up their confession.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #550
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I think that the death penalty should only be imposed in cases where there is no doubt as to the guilt of the suspect. ie they are caught in the act or on video or they confess and the physical evidence backs up their confession.
    There definitely must be evidence to back a confession because there are a lot of nuts out there who have confessed to crimes they didn't actually commit, and it's important to get the "right" guy and not just another notch in a prosecutor's belt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •