View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 54 of 114 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #531
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Exactly, so what makes you any better for killing them?
    I haven't killed them.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #532
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I agree with you so often on so many issues, but you're just losing me on this one.
    What do you mean? When someone is sentenced to the death penalty, they are a victim of state-sponsored murder. It's really that simple.

    And don't even tell me we haven't executed innocent people before either. We could avoid all of these problems with LWOP, meaning until you die in prison and not 35 years. There is really no need to kill them. Like I said earlier, the only ones I would be in favor of allowing DP for would be the most heinous serial killers/mass murderers who are just too far gone.

  3. #533
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I haven't killed them.
    But you wish these boys to get the death penalty, or at least you alluded to that in your posts.

  4. #534
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What do you mean? When someone is sentenced to the death penalty, they are a victim of state-sponsored murder. It's really that simple.

    And don't even tell me we haven't executed innocent people before either. We could avoid all of these problems with LWOP, meaning until you die in prison and not 35 years. There is really no need to kill them. Like I said earlier, the only ones I would be in favor of allowing DP for would be the most heinous serial killers/mass murderers who are just too far gone.
    You need to slow down and take a deep breath.

    I have already stated... twice... that I do NOT support the DP here. I have stated once that LWOP is the better option.

    In my opinion, you are coming off as saying they're not even wholly responsible for their actions because they're "children" and know not what they do. THAT I reject. Don't lump me in with all the others.
    Last edited by radcen; 08-22-13 at 03:12 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #535
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    But you wish these boys to get the death penalty, or at least you alluded to that in your posts.
    wrongo, the vast majority of my posts have been arguing with you over whether or not they are "children". The only post where I alluded to them being killed was when I posted that they should be "lined up and shot....just for fun" (ie, treat them as callously and with the same disregard as they treated their victim)

    I clearly stated that since they committed a "big boy" crime, they should go to "big boy" prison.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #536
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In my opinion, you are coming off as saying they're not even wholly responsible for their actions because they're "children" an know not what they do. THAT I reject. Don't lump me in with all the others.
    that's my take on it as well.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #537
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    And another thing, I've been reading through, and it's pretty stupid to make fun of prosecutorial misconduct. It happens a LOT more often than you would like to think. I'm not saying this happened in this case, but is just another reason to be anti death penalty. Just recently in my state there were TWO incidents of misconduct, more to do with the forensic lab employees though.

    Prosecutorial Misconduct Cases \| CIP

    Prosecutorial Misconduct Statistics:

    In their analysis of the causes of wrongful convictions in cases where the conviction was overturned based on new DNA evidence, researchers found that prosecutorial misconduct was a factor in from 36% to 42% of the convictions.

  8. #538
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Oops double post.

  9. #539
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And another thing, I've been reading through, and it's pretty stupid to make fun of prosecutorial misconduct. It happens a LOT more often than you would like to think. I'm not saying this happened in this case, but is just another reason to be anti death penalty. Just recently in my state there were TWO incidents of misconduct, more to do with the forensic lab employees though.

    Prosecutorial Misconduct Cases \| CIP
    they were caught in front of the home of another boy they had threatened to kill because he refused to join their gang, they had the weapon used to kill Chris Lane with them, they implicated themselves in his murder.

    prosecutorial misconduct and wrongful conviction are not an issue here.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #540
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You need to slow down and take a deep breath.

    I have already stated... twice... that I do NOT support the DP here. I have stated once that LWOP is the better option.

    In my opinion, you are coming off as saying they're not even wholly responsible for their actions because they're "children" an know not what they do. THAT I reject. Don't lump me in with all the others.
    I'm going as slowly as I possibly can. You said I was "losing you" so I was explaining my position to you again. The Supreme Court has determined that minors are NOT wholly responsible for their actions.

    You people need to update your information about minors and the way their minds function.

    Supreme Court: Juveniles Cannot Be Subjected To Mandatory Sentences Of Life Without Parole | ThinkProgress

    Today, the Supreme Court ruled that juvenile offenders who commit homicide crimes cannot be mandatorily sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The ruling extends the reasoning of a 2009 decision prohibiting the similar sentences for juveniles who commit non-homicide crimes. The decision followed a predictable pattern — it was decided 5-4 — but unlike some recent criminal justice cases, Justice Kennedy sided with the court’s “liberal” justices.

    Two factors contribute to the determination that mandatory life without parole sentences for juveniles violate the Eighth Amendment’s ban on cruel and unusual punishment: first, life without parole for a juvenile is like a death sentence, and second, children, who lack maturity and a sense of responsibility, are constitutionally different from adults when it comes to sentencing. Of course, mandatory sentencing schemes do not take into account any characteristics, including age, of defendants.

    Recent research on brain development in teenagers backs up the Court’s determination that children are different from adults, particulary when it comes to characteristics that should matter for sentencing: children are more reckless, risk-taking, and impulsive. A report published last year by British scientists, lawyers, and ethicists, argues that emerging understanding of how children’s brains develop should inform how we treat children who commit crimes:

    “A number of psychologists have already shown that adolescents are not wholly responsible individuals and are inclined to take risks and behave in irresponsible ways,” said Nicholas Mackintosh, an emeritus professor in the department of experimental psychology at the University of Cambridge and chair of the Royal Society panel. “What neuroscience has shown in the last 10 years is that this is at least associated with the fact that the brain continues to develop throughout adolescence.”

    In particular, the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for decision-making, impulse control and cognitive control, is among the slowest parts of the brain to mature and is not fully developed until around the age of 20. “Neuroscience adds to the evidence that a 10 or 12 or 15-year-old does not have a fully adult brain in many important respects,” said Mackintosh.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •