View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 52 of 114 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #511
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    According to every single study out there, 15-year-olds are still children. I am NOT comfortable with allowing the state to KILL citizens who are already in custody, but especially CHILDREN.
    Your hyperbole aside, I am not aware there is a single state in the United States that allows the death penalty to be handed down on a minor tried as an adult.

  2. #512
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    According to every single study out there, 15-year-olds are still children. I am NOT comfortable with allowing the state to KILL citizens who are already in custody, but especially CHILDREN.
    and according to every legal expert out there... a "child" is a person 14 and under.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #513
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Your hyperbole aside, I am not aware there is a single state in the United States that allows the death penalty to be handed down on a minor tried as an adult.
    I believe as of right now, it is illegal to execute anyone under the age of 18 as cruel and unusual punishment (as of 2005 I believe, but I could be wrong), but we have certainly executed minors in the past. The youngest person on record executed was 14 years old.

    George Stinney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    United States: A World Leader In Executing Juveniles, Human Rights Watch Report, March 1995

  4. #514
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Maybe before you guys just start saying, "duh . . . I don't believe it" you should actually READ the data. It's so annoying to keep having to repeat over and over and over to everybody the facts that they either missed or decided not to read.

    Anyway, here is some more data for those who missed it before. This in no way excuses what these kids did, and I'm not trying to use it as such. I'm using this data against putting teens to death is all.

    HowStuffWorks "Teenage Brain Development"
    Don't mistake conclusion as fact. The two are not necessarily the same. Doesn't mean they're not wrong, but it doesn't mean they're conclusively correct, either.

    For the record: I don't support putting them to death, either.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #515
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and according to every legal expert out there... a "child" is a person 14 and under.
    Nope, you're wrong.

  6. #516
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Don't mistake conclusion as fact. The two are not necessarily the same. Doesn't mean they're not wrong, but it doesn't mean they're conclusively correct, either.

    For the record: I don't support putting them to death, either.
    This has been observed on MRIs, electroencephalograms and other tests visually.

  7. #517
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Fifteen is pretty young to be charged as an adult IMO. Most kids are still very much a child at that age. I just wish there was a way to hold them longer than until their 18th birthdays when it's a serious charge such as this.
    yeah...most kids at that age don't go out and hunt down and kill another human being. that's why we don't charge ALL minors as adults, but instead on a case by case basis. In THIS case, the actions of THESE teenagers warrant charging THEM as adults.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #518
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I believe as of right now, it is illegal to execute anyone under the age of 18 as cruel and unusual punishment (as of 2005 I believe, but I could be wrong), but we have certainly executed minors in the past. The youngest person on record executed was 14 years old.

    George Stinney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    United States: A World Leader In Executing Juveniles, Human Rights Watch Report, March 1995

    Thank you for the links. They are relevant today in what way?

    I take it the bottom line is opposition to the death penalty period.

  9. #519
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Nope, you're wrong.
    sorry....

    a person 14 years and under. A "child" should be distinguished from a "minor" who is anyone under 18 in almost all states.
    What is CHILD? definition of CHILD (Black's Law Dictionary)

    opposite of “adult,” and means the young of the human species, (generally under the age of puberty,) without any reference to parentage and without distinction of sex.
    Biologically, a child is anyone between birth and puberty
    a young human being below the age of puberty
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #520
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    Okay, juvenile or minor then. Still doesn't change the fact that they aren't adults and should not ever be treated as if they are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •