View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 51 of 114 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #501
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I'm claiming that committed terrorists blowing up 191 innocent civilians are probably less likely to be rehabilitated than three adolescents whose ennui and stupidity led to the death of a single innocent man. I'm guessing you disagree.
    Well you got that last part right.

    I'm inclined to believe that the poor babies suffering from "ennui and stupidity" would have gladly killed again and again, perhaps in multiples next time, had they not been caught this time.

    I'm also inclined to believe that one life wrongly taken demands the same severe punishment as any multiples of lives taken.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #502
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Well you got that last part right.

    I'm inclined to believe that the poor babies suffering from "ennui and stupidity" would have gladly killed again and again,
    On what evidence are you basing this hunch? They may have killed again, they may not have. I wouldn't presume to have the evidence to be able to predict one way or the other.
    perhaps in multiples next time, had they not been caught this time.

    I'm also inclined to believe that one life wrongly taken demands the same severe punishment as any multiples of lives taken.
    Well, call me old school, but I tend to treat crimes committed as more serious offences than those that might potentially happen. I guess you must be a catholic and treat sins of the mind with the same severity as sins of the flesh.

    Don't misinterpret me, I'm very glad they were caught and I hope they receive the sentence that is appropriate for the severity of the crime they committed. I'm just sure that what you and the hang 'em 'n' flog 'em brigade think is appropriate won't coincide what I think is appropriate.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #503
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Do you actually think bringing in absurd examples changes anything? 7 year olds? I'm sorry, but this discussion was working along rational lines. I'm not interested in crazy.
    Yes, at one time in the US, kids as young as 7 years old COULD receive the DP. Whether any did or not I don't know, but the point I was trying to make is that we know how we used to view kids as miniature adults is wrong. If you doubt, it's all in the links I provided.

  4. #504
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    As long as the facts as stated are true... meaning that the confession and facts weren't fed to them and coerced out of them, which is not unheard of... then I say LWOP.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #505
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Fifteen is pretty young to be charged as an adult IMO. Most kids are still very much a child at that age. I just wish there was a way to hold them longer than until their 18th birthdays when it's a serious charge such as this.
    I just cannot buy that anymore.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #506
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    Vengeance is mine sayth the Lord.
    That suggests we shouldn't even have a justice system at all.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #507
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I just cannot buy that anymore.
    It's a scientific fact. Google it yourself if you don't trust my links, but they are all valid.

  8. #508
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Maybe before you guys just start saying, "duh . . . I don't believe it" you should actually READ the data. It's so annoying to keep having to repeat over and over and over to everybody the facts that they either missed or decided not to read.

    Anyway, here is some more data for those who missed it before. This in no way excuses what these kids did, and I'm not trying to use it as such. I'm using this data against putting teens to death is all.

    HowStuffWorks "Teenage Brain Development"

  9. #509
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, at one time in the US, kids as young as 7 years old COULD receive the DP. Whether any did or not I don't know, but the point I was trying to make is that we know how we used to view kids as miniature adults is wrong. If you doubt, it's all in the links I provided.
    So you bring up 7 year olds receiving the death penalty, even though you don't know if they did or not? I'm not sure how that helps your argument.

    Besides, 15 is not 7.

  10. #510
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    So you bring up 7 year olds receiving the death penalty, even though you don't know if they did or not? I'm not sure how that helps your argument.

    Besides, 15 is not 7.
    According to every single study out there, 15-year-olds are still children. I am NOT comfortable with allowing the state to KILL citizens who are already in custody, but especially CHILDREN.

Page 51 of 114 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •