View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 32 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The boys themselves have been quoted, Chris.
    Provide a link that quotes the boys' words and NOT what the prosecution claims. They are trying to make a case here.

  2. #312
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Provide a link that quotes the boys' words and NOT what the prosecution claims. They are trying to make a case here.
    Have you not been reading the news articles on the case? Jeez. Hard to believe what I'm seeing here.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #313
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    well...according to her, we only have the word of the prosecution that these punks said anything. I just don't get why she is bending over backwards to excuse this crap and wants these killers treated like children
    Again, I didn't excuse anything. You can join the other angry villagers with your pitch fork and torch, screaming for bloody vengeance BEFORE you know all the facts.

  4. #314
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Then why do so many countries who rehabilitate have a fraction of our recidivism rate?

    Either we did something wrong, or that's BS.

    Prisoners are not coddles. Quite a few of relatively minor crimes are actually extremely isolated, and certainly don't have TVs.
    Well of course they are coddled.

    I understand you have your opinion on the issue, but I'd sure like to see some data to back up your claims.

    Rehabilitation was the primary mission in the US penal system for decades. Once that effort was discovered to have little impact, it was changed to focus on incarceration, rather than the belief convicts could in a general sense be convinced they could live a different life.

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Have you not been reading the news articles on the case? Jeez. Hard to believe what I'm seeing here.
    Well then it should be easy for you to provide me the link I requested. Thanks in advance.

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Again, I didn't excuse anything. You can join the other angry villagers with your pitch fork and torch, screaming for bloody vengeance BEFORE you know all the facts.
    What fact are we missing?

  7. #317
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Again, I didn't excuse anything. You can join the other angry villagers with your pitch fork and torch, screaming for bloody vengeance BEFORE you know all the facts.
    fact...they are accused of committing a premeditated murder. that alone is enough to charge them as adults.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #318
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Well of course they are coddled.

    I understand you have your opinion on the issue, but I'd sure like to see some data to back up your claims.

    Rehabilitation was the primary mission in the US penal system for decades. Once that effort was discovered to have little impact, it was changed to focus on incarceration, rather than the belief convicts could in a general sense be convinced they could live a different life.
    And children as young as 7 could and were given the death penalty before. And experts claim an 80% success rate with rehabilitation. So I guess you'll have to call them and argue that you know and all the people here know better than the experts about recidivism and rehabilitation as it pertains to juveniles.

  9. #319
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And children as young as 7 could and were given the death penalty before. And experts claim an 80% success rate with rehabilitation. So I guess you'll have to call them and argue that you know and all the people here know better than the experts about recidivism and rehabilitation as it pertains to juveniles.
    I'd like to see the studies that back up your "expert's" claim. I would be very surprised to see proof of an 80% success rate with rehabilitating murderers
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #320
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well then it should be easy for you to provide me the link I requested. Thanks in advance.
    Frankly, you can read just about any article on the murder, and see what they themselves had to say.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

Page 32 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •