View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 13 of 114 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #121
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I never said anything about excusing them. Just not killing them.
    This is not a capital offense. Prosecutors would have to prove premeditation, that they conspired as a group to murder a random person, then went out seeking such a person to murder. That would be very difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt. The top charge I would expect is Second Degree Murder; not sure they'd even be found guilty of that at this point, frankly. Juries have... disillusioned me lately.

    But yes, I agree they should be charged as adults.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    That's fine, if the family doesn't want it that should be taken into consideration.
    It's a really drawn out and painful process for the family. Think of having to relive the crime over and over and over again instead of being able to just grieve like a normal person and then be able to move on with your life, with whatever kind of normalcy you can manage, if that's even possible. It takes years and years sometimes.

  3. #123
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    But if a kid can be rehabilitated and saved, why would you wish to kill him instead?
    I'm not of the opinion that a kid who can kill because he is "bored" can or should be saved.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    This is not a capital offense. Prosecutors would have to prove premeditation, that they conspired as a group to murder a random person, then went out seeking such a person to murder. That would be very difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt. The top charge I would expect is Second Degree Murder; not sure they'd even be found guilty of that at this point, frankly. Juries have... disillusioned me lately.

    But yes, I agree they should be charged as adults.
    I understand that, but there are people here on this thread wanting to have them killed. That's who I'm addressing.

  5. #125
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It's a really drawn out and painful process for the family. Think of having to relive the crime over and over and over again instead of being able to just grieve like a normal person and then be able to move on with your life, with whatever kind of normalcy you can manage, if that's even possible. It takes years and years sometimes.
    And that is understandable, the family suffered the greatest loss so their opinion should be a strongly weighted factor.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #126
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,728

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    We could try no guns? It was a bullet fired from a gun that killed him correct?
    Did they get their guns legally?

    If they didn't (and they didn't, in case you didn't know), what would more gun laws do to stop them from getting guns?

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Did they get their guns legally?

    If they didn't (and they didn't, in case you didn't know), what would more gun laws do to stop them from getting guns?
    I wasn't speaking of laws, I was speaking of guns.

  8. #128
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,728

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    Wonderful, do tell?
    I just did tell. You asked, I told.

  9. #129
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,728

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    I wasn't speaking of laws, I was speaking of guns.
    And I asked you, what would stop them from getting guns illegally?

  10. #130
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    That must be, Right To Life*


    * does not apply to those we deem unworthy.
    Due process, that which is the basis of law, one forfeits certain rights when they abuse them to do harm. The right to life in a just system is the hardest to forfeit, but once life is abused by taking life without due cause, the forfeiture of such is on the table.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •