View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 107 of 114 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #1061
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,206

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Okay, how about we declare that 15 year olds are "adults". Satisfied?

    Everyone saying "they're children, not adults" are just doing so based on an arbitrary number and arbitrary setting. Also, if anyone thinks that 18 is when the brain reaches full development, shut up and go read a book.
    What makes you think that the age set is arbitrary? Even for the sake of argiument if you were to reset it at 15, there would be a case where a fourteen year old did something heinous and the call would go out to lower it again. If it's arbitrary why have a different law for children? Send the six-year-old who pushes the baby into a river to the electric chair.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  2. #1062
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    What makes you think that the age set is arbitrary? Even for the sake of argiument if you were to reset it at 15, there would be a case where a fourteen year old did something heinous and the call would go out to lower it again. If it's arbitrary why have a different law for children? Send the six-year-old who pushes the baby into a river to the electric chair.
    You learn the impact of a crime like murder long before 18. Some crimes go to juvenile hall because they have some chance of being rehabilitated, and can be learned from. A 15 year old responsible for a murder has probably had this behavior ingrained and is beyond redemption.

    You can't possibly think that ages for things like smoking, drinking, driving, and being held responsible for actions are based on scientific evidence of brain physiology. Practically every psychologist alive will tell you the truth.

  3. #1063
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,206

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    So dispense with arbitrary age limits and fry five year-old murderers. Lock them up and let them learn to fend off bubba.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #1064
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Yup. And it would be satisfactory if he never sees 16.

    For the purposes of premeditated homicide, 15 is an adult.

    By the way, throughout most of history a 15 year old was considered quire old enough to be a soldier.
    Last edited by Oftencold; 08-27-13 at 05:12 AM.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  5. #1065
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    15 is still 15.
    Yup. And it would be satisfactory if he never sees 16.

    For the purposes of premeditated homicide, 15 is an adult.

    By the way, throughout most of history a 15 year old was considered quire old enough to be a soldier.

    As an alternative, he can be incarcerated at hard labor while his victim remains dead.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  6. #1066
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Yup. And it would be satisfactory if he never sees 16.

    For the purposes of premeditated homicide, 15 is an adult.

    By the way, throughout most of history a 15 year old was considered quire old enough to be a soldier.
    Alexander III became King of Macedon at the age of 13 and at age 15 invaded the Achaemenid empire.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #1067
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    According to international law, it's illegal.
    No, it's not illegal according to international law. You just posted the international law a few pages back, and it does not state that capital punishment is illegal across the board.

    It's illegal in 140 countries.
    Which is irrelevant to anyone NOT in those 140 countries.

    We are on par with the most primitive countries.
    Appeal to emotion. Fallacy. On top of that it's a strawman, considering I've never once in this thread indicated a moral view to either end on the notion of Capital Punishment, I've simply stated that calling it "murder" is factually incorrect in either a broad sense OR in regards to this country. Killing can still be horrible, immoral, evil, bad, etc without it being "murder".

    But continue to cling to your fallacies if you'd like. It actually makes sense that you're attempting so hollowly to appeal to emotion continually, because it's quite clear based on your mischaracterization of what I've actually SAID all thread that you're not actually arguing based on logic, reason, or facts but simply based off your own emotional reactions.

    I certainly hope I don't read any complaints from you next time there's a stoning in Iran.
    Strawman again. Where have I suggested you can't "complain" about Capital Punishment?

    You'd PERHAPS be accurate if you stated "I hope I don't read any complaints of them 'murdering' people through stoning in Iran". In which case no worries, you'll never see me complaining of such things because I try to use words accurately.

    The method might be different, but the results are the same.
    All of which have approximately zero to do with whether or not capital punishment in this country or universally is "Murder".

  8. #1068
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, it's not illegal according to international law. You just posted the international law a few pages back, and it does not state that capital punishment is illegal across the board.
    According to the UN, it is cruel and unusual punishment.

    Which is irrelevant to anyone NOT in those 140 countries.
    It shows that these countries are more intelligent than us.


    Appeal to emotion. Fallacy. On top of that it's a strawman, considering I've never once in this thread indicated a moral view to either end on the notion of Capital Punishment, I've simply stated that calling it "murder" is factually incorrect in either a broad sense OR in regards to this country. Killing can still be horrible, immoral, evil, bad, etc without it being "murder".
    It's not an appeal to emotion. It's the simple facts. Sorry that you don't like them because you want state-sponsored murders to occur.

    But continue to cling to your fallacies if you'd like. It actually makes sense that you're attempting so hollowly to appeal to emotion continually, because it's quite clear based on your mischaracterization of what I've actually SAID all thread that you're not actually arguing based on logic, reason, or facts but simply based off your own emotional reactions.
    Nope, an appeal to the logical side of your brain instead of the emotional one that has knee-jerk reactions when it hears about crimes such as this and then screams out for blood lust when it solves no problems and is completely unnecessary.

    Strawman again. Where have I suggested you can't "complain" about Capital Punishment?

    You'd PERHAPS be accurate if you stated "I hope I don't read any complaints of them 'murdering' people through stoning in Iran". In which case no worries, you'll never see me complaining of such things because I try to use words accurately.
    So IOW, you see other countries as bad for murdering their citizens because of the methods or the reasons they might use, but you think we do it "right." And because they call it an "execution" it's really not murdering someone, because some people think it's okay essentially. BTW, abolition of the death penalty is also occurring in the States. Will you feel sad when the states can't kill people anymore?



    All of which have approximately zero to do with whether or not capital punishment in this country or universally is "Murder".
    When you kill someone who is not an immediate threat to you, that's murder. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's a fact.

  9. #1069
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This really pisses me off. How do you know why they killed? Because the prosecutor told you? Lol! Have you spoken to these kids? What does the defense team say? Since you seem to know all about these kids and this case, do tell!
    Are you intimating that a tearjerker story of why the thugs chose to shoot an innocent man in the back will sway your opinion and perhaps the opinion of others

  10. #1070
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    Are you intimating that a tearjerker story of why the thugs chose to shoot an innocent man in the back will sway your opinion and perhaps the opinion of others
    No. I'm saying that people have already tried and convicted these kids in their own minds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •