View Poll Results: Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes and throw away the key

    89 89.00%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

    11 11.00%
Page 106 of 114 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1132

Thread: Should these teens be tried as adults

  1. #1051
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Countries that have abolished the death penalty.

    [/url]
    Appeal to Popularity


    Explanation

    Appeals to popularity suggest that an idea must be true simply because it is widely held. This is a fallacy because popular opinion can be, and quite often is, mistaken. Hindsight makes this clear: there were times when the majority of the population believed that the Earth is the still centre of the universe, and that diseases are caused by evil spirits; neither of these ideas was true, despite its popularity.

    Logical Fallacies» Appeal to Popularity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #1052
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    According to international law, it's illegal. It's illegal in 140 countries. We are on par with the most primitive countries. I certainly hope I don't read any complaints from you next time there's a stoning in Iran. The method might be different, but the results are the same.

    And yes, you are playing semantics and taking the government's side against it's people. Shameful IMO.
    Japan and the Bahamas were on that list... pretty good company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #1053
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Appeal to Popularity


    Explanation

    Appeals to popularity suggest that an idea must be true simply because it is widely held. This is a fallacy because popular opinion can be, and quite often is, mistaken. Hindsight makes this clear: there were times when the majority of the population believed that the Earth is the still centre of the universe, and that diseases are caused by evil spirits; neither of these ideas was true, despite its popularity.

    Logical Fallacies» Appeal to Popularity
    Wait a minute. Didn't you say you were against the death penalty, but now you're arguing for it. Hmm. Interesting position.

    Anyhow no. It's based on facts and knowledge. The death penalty is based on ignorance, vengeance and hatred. PERIOD.

  4. #1054
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Japan and the Bahamas were on that list... pretty good company.
    Along with Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and all the other third world countries. Oh such pride in putting people to death!

  5. #1055
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You asked what else is there to know. The defense side of the story. DO. YOU. UNDERSTAND?
    You were making a Straw Man. I just explained why your reasoning to be against me is wrong.

    Straw Man Fallacy


    Explanation

    A straw man argument is one that misrepresents a position in order to make it appear weaker than it actually is, refutes this misrepresentation of the position, and then concludes that the real position has been refuted. This, of course, is a fallacy, because the position that has been claimed to be refuted is different to that which has actually been refuted; the real target of the argument is untouched by it.

    Logical Fallacies» Straw Man Fallacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #1056
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You were making a Straw Man. I just explained why your reasoning to be against me is wrong.

    Straw Man Fallacy


    Explanation

    A straw man argument is one that misrepresents a position in order to make it appear weaker than it actually is, refutes this misrepresentation of the position, and then concludes that the real position has been refuted. This, of course, is a fallacy, because the position that has been claimed to be refuted is different to that which has actually been refuted; the real target of the argument is untouched by it.

    Logical Fallacies» Straw Man Fallacy
    No, I've stated nothing but the facts. I'm sorry that you can't deal with them or if they make you feel guilty or bad for supporting the DP. Maybe you should rethink your position.

    Anyway, I would say that this thread is finished. I can see that you and others are agitated because you can't accept the facts against your precious death penalty. And I've presented my case rather well I think, or at least a heck of a lot better than any of you with your "But they're bad, but they should die! But, but, but . . ." garbage. So I'm done here. Don't quote me here anymore, because I'm not going to answer so you'll only be arguing with own self.

  7. #1057
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Okay, how about we declare that 15 year olds are "adults". Satisfied?

    Everyone saying "they're children, not adults" are just doing so based on an arbitrary number and arbitrary setting. Also, if anyone thinks that 18 is when the brain reaches full development, shut up and go read a book.

  8. #1058
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    I hope they never see the light of day again. Does Oklahoma have a death penalty?

    At 15 I knew shooting someone and killing them was the LAST thing I wanted to do to someone. Age is not an excuse here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #1059
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Wait a minute. Didn't you say you were against the death penalty, but now you're arguing for it. Hmm. Interesting position.

    Anyhow no. It's based on facts and knowledge. The death penalty is based on ignorance, vengeance and hatred. PERIOD.
    I am in favour of the Death Penalty... always have been.

    And no... The death penalty is NOT based on ignorance, vengeance and hatred. For some it might be just as for some being against the DP is based on emotions. For many, including me, the DP is based on facts, logic and morals. PERIOD.

    Along with Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and all the other third world countries. Oh such pride in putting people to death!
    And there were some pretty crappy countries that were against the DP. What pride being aligned with them!!

    No, I've stated nothing but the facts. I'm sorry that you can't deal with them or if they make you feel guilty or bad for supporting the DP. Maybe you should rethink your position.
    You stating your opinion about what you think that the motives are behind the DP are not facts. Get over yourself. It was a Straw Man. It is illogical. You are wrong. Deal with that fact.

    Anyway, I would say that this thread is finished. I can see that you and others are agitated because you can't accept the facts against your precious death penalty. And I've presented my case rather well I think, or at least a heck of a lot better than any of you with your "But they're bad, but they should die! But, but, but . . ." garbage. So I'm done here. Don't quote me here anymore, because I'm not going to answer so you'll only be arguing with own self.
    I am just getting started with you actually. You are wrong. You haven't addressed the ethical position behind support for the DP.

    The Principle states that one may harm in order to save more if and only if the harm is an effect or an aspect of the greater good itself.

    Deontological ethics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #1060
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should these teens be tried as adults

    Bodhi's bustin' out the utilitarian philosophy. I'm lovin' it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •