View Poll Results: How are we doing at addressing bullying?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • We're not doing enough.

    28 42.42%
  • We're right on track and taking appropriate measures.

    8 12.12%
  • We're blowing it way out of proportion.

    23 34.85%
  • Other.

    7 10.61%
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 366

Thread: Bullying...

  1. #341
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Internet bullying is really a problem
    You don't have to tell me. I've very much aware. And it's not just kids who do it, adults to it all the time to each other as well.

    much moreso than I though until I watched this movie with my girls about cyberbullying. I was always like, "Oh just get up and walk away from the computer if it's that bad," but that was a very simplistic way to look at it. It's more than that. Computers are encompassed in kids lives these days (most of them, anyway) and bullying online is even more harsh than in person.
    Not to mention other kids see it and bring the issues to school, so simply staying off the computer doesn't really matter.

    We all know from experience that people are nastier online, and would say much worse things online, than in person. That kind of thing can be stopped, and should be stopped, but usually it's not, until it's too late.
    Agreed. But schools really have no power to stop it. They can punish it at school in some states (including mine), but they cannot really stop it.

  2. #342
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    There are millions of children in the country.

    How many does a situation like this affect? I mean the severe bullying that causes a person to kill themselves.

    I would says it is a tiny tiny number, so why get so upset about so few cases?
    More than there should be:

    Suicide rate 2010

    Granted that is a little old per se; but it still shows suicide is a huge problem, especially among the teens.

    It is interesting to note the rate goes up as people get older and responsibility continues to increase with less assistance from family and/or friends.

    What is even more interesting is the states with the top suicide rates are rural states.

    [Stats from Ark for Children]
    Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people- about 4,400 per year
    For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 attempts- about 440,000
    14+% high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 % have attempted it
    Bully victims are 2-9 times more likely to consider suicide (Yale University study)
    At least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying (British study)
    10- 14 year old girls may be at higher risk for suicide (British study above)

    Those are scary numbers if bullying is causing half the suicide rate in children. It's lower now than it was in the past as well. Problem is it hasn't dropped any lower since the mid 2000s, it was on a decline then stopped declining. That is what we need to figure out; there is no reason for someone who is a teen to commit suicide with the correct help.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  3. #343
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If a person thinks they have a sufficient reason to kill themselves, even if you disagree with those reasons, what business is it of yours to step in and stop them?
    If we are talking about people we ought to know were treated like dirt or felt like dirt because of others (the premise of this thread), yes, you want to step in immediately.

    I'm not particularly surprised you start out as an apologist for bullies, and then rhetorically argue for a number of the victims (who did nothing wrong at all, except find themselves to be targeted) to go and die.

    You are promoting a pathway to suicide for innocent children. For what, exactly?
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 08-21-13 at 12:41 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #344
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    What did you do about your bullying? Just curious because I was pretty severely bullied myself.
    Part of it I can't even remember because I was reduced to having little energy throughout the day or desire to do much of anything..home or otherwise. It was more like being a zombie, but constantly thrown into situations that caused severe distress. Eventually it continued to escalate through some portions of the school staff, but not much else. I didn't want to be at school, and I sure did not want to be around those students (actually, most of the students).
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #345
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You're the second person who has pigeon-hold this as distinctly American.
    I made reference to someone else's assertion that bullying is the American way. Learn to read before you smart off, k?

  6. #346
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    I made reference to someone else's assertion that bullying is the American way. Learn to read before you smart off, k?
    I did read it. And I just re-read it. You failed. I would suggest you put more effort into your writing to make your intention more clear.

    Unless, of course, your intention was clear... and wrong... and you're simply trying to backtrack and cover yourself as the first person who made the same mistake did.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #347
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Not sure what you are trying to imply...
    Look it up. You can't imagine something, therefore you're asserting it doesn't happen. Your lack of imagination has nothing to do with reality.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #348
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I was a victim of persistent bullying for being both different and disabled, day in and day out for years. I spent at least two years being escorted to schools kicking and screaming (no, I am not joking) because the atmosphere was that bad. Professionals surrounding, but not necessarily directly employed by the school in question thought this was a ridiculous atmosphere to maintain. Some teachers responded, others dismissed it. I didn't have suicidal thoughts, but I had teetered on the edge for years as a result. Now, really, another student was pushed down a flight of stairs for being different, and he and his family sued the district. People in the school thought he should have just taken in like a man, and got even more annoyed when he and his family fought back.

    So yes, Gipper, I think this "man-up" mentality is bull**** and that apologists for bullies need a severe wake-up call.
    Indeed, I would argue that the "man-up" attitude is, in fact, a form of bullying itself. That adults have such attitudes illustrates the fact that bullying is not merely a problem for children, but that it is merely a symptom of a broader society-wide tendency to disregard people's feelings and well being and to see pain or victimhood as individual weakness.

  9. #349
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Bullying...

    How easily someone is offended is directly proportional to how stupid they are.


    Then again, I don't think most people are emotionally stable. Technology has simply highlighted this truth.


    Stick some adult that never had any friends or any dates on an internet forum and it should be no surprise that person is going to have an interesting time to say the least. Imagine someone who's never been on a date going around giving dating advice on a forum.. I've seen it. We live in a crazy world.


    I would say that describes more than 75% of forum goers.
    Last edited by Ryan5; 08-21-13 at 03:29 PM.

  10. #350
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    I made reference to someone else's assertion that bullying is the American way. Learn to read before you smart off, k?
    Moderator's Warning:
    Bullying...Cease the personal attacks.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •