View Poll Results: How are we doing at addressing bullying?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • We're not doing enough.

    28 42.42%
  • We're right on track and taking appropriate measures.

    8 12.12%
  • We're blowing it way out of proportion.

    23 34.85%
  • Other.

    7 10.61%
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 366

Thread: Bullying...

  1. #271
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,044

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's crap. It's more liberal idiocy that wants to blame everything but the person responsible. Nothing is ever your fault! Point fingers at someone else! Idiot liberals.
    What in the **** are you talking about? What I posted is about the person, the individual. Unless you don't believe in hormonal, mental, behavioral and conduct disorders your post makes absolutely zero ****ing sense. And where you get politics out of this is perhaps the most bizarre thing that I have heard in quite a while...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #272
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What in the **** are you talking about? What I posted is about the person, the individual. Unless you don't believe in hormonal, mental, behavioral and conduct disorders your post makes absolutely zero ****ing sense. And where you get politics out of this is perhaps the most bizarre thing that I have heard in quite a while...
    Yes, and if the person in question can be legitimately found to have a demonstrable medical disorder, fine. But to claim that *EVERYONE*, or a large percentage of people, has those disorders is a bit absurd. There's a ton of people out there, especially on the social liberal side, that don't ever want anyone to be held accountable for their actions, they want to find excuses for why people don't do the right thing because it's never their fault.

    If you don't understand that, you're not paying attention.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #273
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,044

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm aware that adolescents are more prone to suicide because of emotional imbalances or "issues" or what have you, but they also have rather minor problems in comparison. Once they outgrow the tumultuous times of teenager-hood, problems such as "so-and-so is mean to me" and "the prom queen turned me down for a date and called me an uggo" gets replaced with real concerns, like "where am I gonna live" and "why can't I find a job". If I thought that kids just had to make it through high school and then the world just becomes all happy trees and rainbows, I'd try a little harder to get them through.
    I figured you would e aware of that but a problem like getting a job is nothing major to a kid when they are a kid. That is like saying that you don't have a "real worries" about "where I am gonna live" to a soldier just trying to stay alive or a teen worried about not getting gunned down... right? Point is, stress is relative to the stressor. These factors are then influenced by their emotions and mental stability while going through hormonal changes... etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #274
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,044

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Yes, and if the person in question can be legitimately found to have a demonstrable medical disorder, fine. But to claim that *EVERYONE*, or a large percentage of people, has those disorders is a bit absurd. There's a ton of people out there, especially on the social liberal side, that don't ever want anyone to be held accountable for their actions, they want to find excuses for why people don't do the right thing because it's never their fault.

    If you don't understand that, you're not paying attention.
    I posted a fact about kids that commit or attempt to commit suicide. This is not a claim that everyone or even a large percent have these disorders. If you can't understand that, then based off your posts, you area partisan hack that can't read very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #275
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    That's fine. If you're bullied, you should seek rational, acceptable ways to stop yourself from being bullied. What I'm against is the people who are obviously as fragile as crystal wanting to criminalize people "being mean" or "picking on someone". That's where I think the slippery slope is going - when someone can be arrested for an assholish post on Facebook.
    Umm, I don't think any human is fragile as a crystal unless you are talking about Sam Jackson in Unbreakable. However; there is no reason to allow continuous bullying like what has been in the news recently. It has nothing to do with fragile humans and more to do with poor protections from said bullying.

    There is still no reason not to confront the bully and no violence need be involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There's no such thing as social Darwinism in the real world, but if there were, it would sure be a damn sight better than idiot liberalism and government hand-holding.
    I'd rather never see it personally.

    I am surprised you'd support it.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  6. #276
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    So what then? They should man up? Let them die, they'll only do it later?
    There is no definitive answer... which is emotionally unsatisfying to some.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #277
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Really? I'd never heard that before. But this isn't a topic I know much about. It just seems like most of the suicides I hear about there does seem to be some sort of easily identifiable root cause.
    They're often portrayed as root causes by the media, because that's easy. Truth is they're most often just symptoms of larger and/or more deep rooted issues.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #278
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I posted a fact about kids that commit or attempt to commit suicide. This is not a claim that everyone or even a large percent have these disorders. If you can't understand that, then based off your posts, you area partisan hack that can't read very well.
    Yes, kids do. So do adults. Not all of them, or I'd wager, even a significant number of them do so because of messed up brain chemistry. That's the only point I was making. If you can point to some that can be helped through medication, fine. The rest, the largest part by far I'm sure, aren't going to be affected.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #279
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    I'd rather never see it personally.

    I am surprised you'd support it.
    Why? What's wrong with it, other than it disturbs you emotionally? It's how evolution functions, the best, the brightest, the most physically and emotionally able, survive to fill the ecological niche and thus out-reproduce the competition. How is that a bad thing, rationally?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I figured you would e aware of that but a problem like getting a job is nothing major to a kid when they are a kid. That is like saying that you don't have a "real worries" about "where I am gonna live" to a soldier just trying to stay alive or a teen worried about not getting gunned down... right? Point is, stress is relative to the stressor. These factors are then influenced by their emotions and mental stability while going through hormonal changes... etc.
    At that point, I would put faulty parenting as a larger contribution than someone posting "you suck" on a 15 year old's Facebook page.

    Maybe I was lucky. I didn't blow things out of proportion as a teenager, and even at that age I was still a pretty rational being. I also wasn't really "bullied". I was picked on a little; we all were. Hell, I had a little jock in me (starting varsity pitcher as a sophomore) and I still got razzed. I coped. I dealt with it. Now, if I'm just getting my ass whipped in the locker room or bathroom on a semi-regular basis, I support stepping in. If I'm getting harassed to a point where it's clearly and adversely affecting everyday life, I support stepping in. However, if I'm just getting my feelings hurt by a few baseless juvenile comments, I'm not about to go call a cop or try to hide my feelings behind unnecessary legislature. We need these growing pains to become fully functioning adults.

    I think the problem lately is that "bullying" has become so watered down that it includes anything worse than "you're a poopy head".

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •