View Poll Results: How are we doing at addressing bullying?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • We're not doing enough.

    28 42.42%
  • We're right on track and taking appropriate measures.

    8 12.12%
  • We're blowing it way out of proportion.

    23 34.85%
  • Other.

    7 10.61%
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 366

Thread: Bullying...

  1. #231
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    What they used to do in this area was for the coach to take the two to the gym, put some gloves on them and "make it legal". Sometimes the bully didn't want to accept because then it was a fair fight, sometimes the bully won, but the requirement was to shake hands after the "match". I don't know when that stopped here but my older family members recall well that bullying and fights were stopped at the ring's edge.

    I don't know if that is enough today, but it sure brought civility to the school yard back then, fights were much less prevalent and less violent.

    Was still going on in '78 when I was a teenager... but I think it ended around here before '80.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #232
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Quite often the parents themselves are adult bullies.

    I remember a family in particular when my kids were growing up. They moved to town when my youngest was in 5th grade. We were friends with the school principal and he told me that when their kids would get in trouble... for some type of bullying, usually... the parents would stomp in and threaten lawsuits and the such if the school did any kind of disciplinary action.
    Bullying for years has been considered a learned behavioral cycle. I can remember as far back as my middle school years, a bit over twenty years ago, that the cycle was explained as a top-down structure where the bullied seeks power they don't have because of a bully over them.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #233
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Was still going on in '78 when I was a teenager... but I think it ended around here before '80.
    That's what I'm thinking, my older cousins were telling me about that way of settling problems like that, and they are on about the same timeline as yourself. I know by the time I was in middle and high school it was over with.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #234
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Bullying for years has been considered a learned behavioral cycle. I can remember as far back as my middle school years, a bit over twenty years ago, that the cycle was explained as a top-down structure where the bullied seeks power they don't have because of a bully over them.
    I'd throw in that not all bullies are the same.

    There are those who actually don't mean any harm, but they're just accustomed to playing rough and/or bantering in a manner others may take as bullying.
    There are those who are seeking power because they feel somehow inadequate or something, as you say.
    There are those who are taking their inward pain and trying to put it on someone else outside in the hope that will diminish it.
    There are those who just plain LIKE to fight and argue, and the more you argue or fight back the better they like it.
    There are those who are just mentally warped.

    Got to know what kind of bully you're dealing with to know how to deal...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #235
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,702

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    What they used to do in this area was for the coach to take the two to the gym, put some gloves on them and "make it legal". Sometimes the bully didn't want to accept because then it was a fair fight, sometimes the bully won, but the requirement was to shake hands after the "match". I don't know when that stopped here but my older family members recall well that bullying and fights were stopped at the ring's edge.

    I don't know if that is enough today, but it sure brought civility to the school yard back then, fights were much less prevalent and less violent.
    Could you imagine that happening today? Could you imagine the ramifications of what would happen to the coach today, with the helicopter parents we have? He'd be standing in the unemployment line before the first punch was thrown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  6. #236
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I'd throw in that not all bullies are the same.

    There are those who actually don't mean any harm, but they're just accustomed to playing rough and/or bantering in a manner others may take as bullying.
    There are those who are seeking power because they feel somehow inadequate or something, as you say.
    There are those who are taking their inward pain and trying to put it on someone else outside in the hope that will diminish it.
    There are those who just plain LIKE to fight and argue, and the more you argue or fight back the better they like it.
    There are those who are just mentally warped.

    Got to know what kind of bully you're dealing with to know how to deal...
    I can go with that. I've known a few people in life who seemed like jerks, but when they saw that they pushed it too far they were the first to offer a sincere apology and end the incident. I've also seen plenty of RL trolls, people who will push the issue until someone finally whips their ass so bad that the consequences aren't worth the satisfaction of conflict, and all others in between.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #237
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Could you imagine that happening today? Could you imagine the ramifications of what would happen to the coach today, with the helicopter parents we have? He'd be standing in the unemployment line before the first punch was thrown.
    No doubt, that was the first thing that came to mind, it would only take one set of parents with the right lawyer to end that practice again.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #238
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Could you imagine that happening today? Could you imagine the ramifications of what would happen to the coach today, with the helicopter parents we have? He'd be standing in the unemployment line before the first punch was thrown.
    After the coach got out of jail the civil suits would begin.

  9. #239
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Pretty impossible to resist right!?
    I've been watching a bunch of old movies lately anyhow and I've been wondering what I should do next. You helped answer that question, thanks!
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #240
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I read it. I simply disagree with it. A completely ostracized 14 yr old, constantly taunted, insulted, ridiculed and alone, has neither the emotional nor physical capacity to take on the entire school while adults imply by their inaction that she must somehow deserve the abuse. We disagree on this.
    Didn't say they deserved it said its an opportunity to earn respect. Your solution would be what? Run in tell everyone to respect the girl? Good luck with that. Respect is ALWAYS earned NEVER given. They want to be respected they got to earn it. Otherwise they are just meat.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •