View Poll Results: How are we doing at addressing bullying?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • We're not doing enough.

    28 42.42%
  • We're right on track and taking appropriate measures.

    8 12.12%
  • We're blowing it way out of proportion.

    23 34.85%
  • Other.

    7 10.61%
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 366

Thread: Bullying...

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    Little to no evidence of him having no moral compass in his young child years which would refute born a sociopath.

    Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer would show this.
    Profile of the Sociopath
    Sounds just like him.

  2. #132
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    You think so? When I was a freshman in high school there was a girl this one guy liked, but she liked me and it pissed him off. He (let's call him E) had this buddy (MM) who was like a hulk compared to the rest of us kids, weighed like 180 lbs and could bench press 200. Real musclebound but not too smart, so E decided to have MM deal with me by having him pick a fight with me in the boys locker room during gym class. I weighed like 120 lbs, just a regular kid, and kept telling him I didn't want to when he sucker punched me.

    So I fought back...in front of my whole gym class. I got a couple of good licks in at first but hardly fazed him. The kids watching started by making fun of me (you know, sucking up to the bigger guy), but then they started getting quiet, and then started telling me to stay down and telling MM to stop. MM must have knocked me down about eight times before a teacher got there. But I never stayed down. I just kept getting up.

    Ther principal suspended us both for a week. But after that day NO ONE in school ever messed with me again, including MM. Sometimes violence DOES solved the problem.
    How many years ago was this? 20? 30? Timeframe is the issue and the generation at the time still had certain propaganda in their heads.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  3. #133
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Profile of the Sociopath
    Sounds just like him.
    Sure it does somewhat, but you are ignoring the abuse he talks about in the book I referenced. Granted it may not have been true, but his grandfather IIRC is dead and has been for some time at the time of that book being written.

    Which is why I don't accept the "sociopathy" born concept. A moral compass is learned mostly from your parents and culture. A good example is the Mayans, many of their moral codes are foreign to us today; but for them it was normal life.

    Using a cookie cutter concept doesn't make it automatically true for the person.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  4. #134
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,580
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    How many years ago was this? 20? 30? Timeframe is the issue and the generation at the time still had certain propaganda in their heads.
    It does not matter "how long ago" it was. The point is that sometimes you need to stand up for yourself, even when it seems hopeless. Otherwise you'll be a victim all your life.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  5. #135
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    It does not matter "how long ago" it was. The point is that sometimes you need to stand up for yourself, even when it seems hopeless. Otherwise you'll be a victim all your life.
    you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything......
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #136
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,714

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    I don't consider stopping a single incident of bullying would be an effective treatment if someone was hurt physically as a part of that confrontation. All that does is teach someone that violence is the answer to their problems if they are being hurt. Which can reinforce negative behaviour throughout their adult life. The ideal solution would involve all aspects of the bullies life which can be accomplished if everyone agrees on the issue to begin with. Since it is usually a learned response (bullying) that makes it that much harder if the parents simply don't see it as a problem or are the cause of the problem to begin with.
    You may not see it that way. However when you are the recipient of that singular act and are getting no support from parents or school officials, frankly...you dont care what others may or may not think. Your high minded ideals arent relevant to the kid being picked on. They dont want social change...they want to walk through school hallways and not fear being picked on.

    I can point to several incidents where violence was indeed a part of the solution. Large scale solution? no. Immediate solution? You bet. And when you find that ideal world, let us know what color the sky is there. Im sure it will be beautiful and pooh will smell like daisies.

  7. #137
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    It does not matter "how long ago" it was. The point is that sometimes you need to stand up for yourself, even when it seems hopeless. Otherwise you'll be a victim all your life.
    It really does, because standing up for yourself with violence is an indication of generational gap and culture difference. We are becoming more civilized not less where violence is less of a response than it was say 20 or 30 yrs ago.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  8. #138
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You may not see it that way. However when you are the recipient of that singular act and are getting no support from parents or school officials, frankly...you dont care what others may or may not think. Your high minded ideals arent relevant to the kid being picked on. They dont want social change...they want to walk through school hallways and not fear being picked on.

    I can point to several incidents where violence was indeed a part of the solution. Large scale solution? no. Immediate solution? You bet. And when you find that ideal world, let us know what color the sky is there. Im sure it will be beautiful and pooh will smell like daisies.
    I can see it that way as I'm calling upon personal experience and not just academia. I realize that everyone has had different experiences which is excellent point of learning. It does however show the different attitudes available today vs what was a significant time period ago (generational gap).

    If said child being picked on wants to walk through hallways not being picked on they need to draw upon the help of everyone around them, not resort to violent altercations. We are not primitive homo-sapiens anymore.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  9. #139
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    It really does, because standing up for yourself with violence is an indication of generational gap and culture difference. We are becoming more civilized not less where violence is less of a response than it was say 20 or 30 yrs ago.
    If I'm reading your posts correctly, you're pretty much an absolutist on this issue... non-violence is always the answer.

    Am I correct, or do you allow for some exceptions?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Bullying...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Bullying... the new trendy social issue. How are we doing at addressing it?

    I don't think any reasonable person would deny that bullying exists, but... are we properly addressing the issue or are we blowing it out of proportion?
    I wish that this poll had multiple options. I honestly think its both being blown out of proportion and we aren't doing enough. Its being blown out of proportion in the sense that now in what may be a legitimate two sided issue between two people, one gets to play the "victim" essentially to rid him or herself of guilt and completely destroy the other person. I also think we aren't doing enough because the real bullies and and victims are often the ones that never get caught because no one speaks up.

    Like personally, I've been bullied before back in middle school/elementary school. I never said anything about it to someone at school, but if I ever relatiated in anyway, I was always the one at fault. Moral of the story: Bullys make wonderful cry babies.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •