View Poll Results: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 50.00%
  • No

    3 25.00%
  • Maybe

    3 25.00%
  • Who cares?

    0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

  1. #11
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

    The system was always broken. It just never became apparent because our people possessed honor, respect, and integrity.
    Our system only works when we have these values. Without them, everything begins to unravel.

    1 half black President has had more nominations filibustered than all white Presidents combined throughout history.
    Many of his nominees have been moderates and some have even been Republicans.
    There is no real difference in the nominees, only a difference in the President.

    I'd say it is quite broken.

  2. #12
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    The system was always broken. It just never became apparent because our people possessed honor, respect, and integrity.
    Our system only works when we have these values. Without them, everything begins to unravel.

    1 half black President has had more nominations filibustered than all white Presidents combined throughout history.
    Many of his nominees have been moderates and some have even been Republicans.
    There is no real difference in the nominees, only a difference in the President.

    I'd say it is quite broken.
    The flip side of this is that the process was always fine, it's the people voting now who are broken.

    Two sides of the same coin eh?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #13
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    The flip side of this is that the process was always fine, it's the people voting now who are broken.

    Two sides of the same coin eh?
    Same coin indeed.
    But either way, the filibuster needs to be removed for nominations. A simple majority plus the President should be plenty.
    It had reasonable and honorable purpose initially, but when we find ourselves with a Congress without any honor or respect, who only want to abuse it to harm a President, regardless of cost to Country... it is quite simply time for it to go.

  4. #14
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Same coin indeed.
    But either way, the filibuster needs to be removed for nominations. A simple majority plus the President should be plenty.
    It had reasonable and honorable purpose initially, but when we find ourselves with a Congress without any honor or respect, who only want to abuse it to harm a President, regardless of cost to Country... it is quite simply time for it to go.
    Well, here I'm not so sure.

    The Democrats IMO were right to filibuster the crap out of Bush's nomination of Brown. She legislated from the bench and ignored statutory law. It was ironic how the GOP who attacks Judges on alleged "judicial activism" were promoting a candidate who by all measures was a judicial activist, ignoring the legislated law for what she thought was right. If she was given a chance for up or down vote, we'd have a judicial activist making in through and a judicial activist who celebrated in her judicial activism.

    Some candidates SHOULD be filibustered. The problem is that EVERY candidate is being filibustered.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #15
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Well, here I'm not so sure.

    The Democrats IMO were right to filibuster the crap out of Bush's nomination of Brown. She legislated from the bench and ignored statutory law. It was ironic how the GOP who attacks Judges on alleged "judicial activism" were promoting a candidate who by all measures was a judicial activist, ignoring the legislated law for what she thought was right. If she was given a chance for up or down vote, we'd have a judicial activist making in through and a judicial activist who celebrated in her judicial activism.

    Some candidates SHOULD be filibustered. The problem is that EVERY candidate is being filibustered.
    I do not disagree with you as for what is ideal, desired, or in theory.
    But I suppose I am viewing this more from a reality or a problem solving position.
    "Should be" and "If Only" are not actual solutions, even if they are correct in theory.

    Pandora's box has been opened.
    It is not as though Democrats will just forget what has been done to them.
    Acting without honor and abusing the system will be the new norm... forever. Until the filibuster is removed.
    I am sorry for us all, but we can never go back. Congress will forever be conducted without honor for now on.

    The only "SOLUTION" I see, is to remove the filibuster.
    If you have an alternative, I'd love to hear it.

  6. #16
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    The only "SOLUTION" I see, is to remove the filibuster.
    If you have an alternative, I'd love to hear it.
    Redistrict so that every district is competitive. This will put moderates and compromises back in office. Once you fix who's voting, the process in which confirmation is done is solved.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #17
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Redistrict so that every district is competitive. This will put moderates and compromises back in office. Once you fix who's voting, the process in which confirmation is done is solved.
    But that would only affect the House, not the Senate where nominations occur.

    For the House, I agree with you again in "theory". But what your talking about is putting an end to Gerrymandering. And that is just NOT going to happen.
    It would require the party with all the power in a given district or State to give that power up willingly.
    Again, I think your view is excellent in a perfect world. But it is not a viable solution within our reality.

  8. #18
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you believe that the Senate Confirmation Process is broken?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    But that would only affect the House, not the Senate where nominations occur.
    But it should bleed over. Once representative races start to become moderate heavy, any crazies on the senate will look comparatively nuts. You gotta start somewhere. Also, it might be possible to redistrict Senate districts as well to make them competitive. Make two districts of equal weight to both parties and independents. Harder than House, but still possible.

    For the House, I agree with you again in "theory". But what your talking about is putting an end to Gerrymandering. And that is just NOT going to happen.
    It would require the party with all the power in a given district or State to give that power up willingly.
    Again, I think your view is excellent in a perfect world. But it is not a viable solution within our reality.
    Thus why we need a referendum to start in a state like California. Hand it over to a computer that does the redistricting and make the entire process transparent.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •