View Poll Results: Should Daycare Be Subsidized?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Should Be Fixed Price (Quebec)

    3 5.77%
  • Yes, Means-Tested (France)

    9 17.31%
  • No, It Should Not Be Subsidized

    40 76.92%
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 435

Thread: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    This is one of those things that I'm extremely sympathetic to but very wary of. I have two friends who had mistakes and are now parents at a very young age. It makes it extremely difficult for them to continue with school, hold a job, and build a better future for themselves and their family. In principle I think an extremely targeted program even if its just at a state level would be helpful to people like him and would end up benefiting us all in the long run because of his increased earning power, job prospects, and educational attainment. But these programs are ruined because they never stay narrow. The band of inclusion grows and grows and a multi-million dollar program becomes a multi-billion dollar program which is no longer a limited piece of assistance to those who need it, but a core entitlement which cannot be shorn or reformed.
    The real issue is that we subsidize and make excuses for so much bad behavior that there is little real incentive to use these programs as desired. Your friends might see "free" daycare as an opportunity to get an education then find a good paying job but there would undoubtedly be more people who would see it as an opportunity to watch daytime television and dick around all day without kids to watch as the government pays all their other bills.

  2. #42
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,202

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    I imagine the fixed price is only for the parents...not the government.
    Yes you pay 7$ and the Quebec government pays the rest. See states rights (I know you Americans love it) can also be a plus in this aswell as the states will compete to be the most parent friendly state.

  3. #43
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    As long as they are fully vested in the program fine.
    But if they are going to slack around, nope. Not a penny.
    So...let's do what we can to make sure they are fully vested...

  4. #44
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    The nation is broke, yet you want more money for kids daycare.
    We can take it out of military spending.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    Well daycare actually benefits society as a whole as it is better to have a well educated working populace then a uneducated unemployed populace. If you subsidize daycare you get else people collecting unemployment, less welfare, less food stamps because people can work. I guess your against public education aswell.
    If they were truly well-educated, they'd wait to have children. There's just no argument to that statement right there, although I do enjoy watching you try.

    Sorry, my tax dollars should exist to curb irresponsibility, not endorse it.

  6. #46
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,202

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    As long as its a requirement and there were verifications that went along with it.
    That would be means-testing in France and government approval in Quebec.

  7. #47
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,202

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If they were truly well-educated, they'd wait to have children. There's just no argument to that statement right there, although I do enjoy watching you try.

    Sorry, my tax dollars should exist to curb irresponsibility, not endorse it.
    How long should they wait? Till it extremely difficult to have children?

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    No, it's because I don't want to live in the country you envision.
    What will I ever do with myself if everyone else isn't paying my way?!! What in the hell is the point in moving out of your parents house if you just turn around and make the government your mommy? WTF is that about? You effectively didn't do squat.

  9. #49
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,360

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    I imagine the fixed price is only for the parents...not the government.
    Why, If the Government is writing the law, why would they leave a blank check on the table.

  10. #50
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,202

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    A tax credit only differs from a subsidy in it's method of distribution and payment duty cycle.
    It still reduces the cost of a product to the end user.
    I can see part of your point, with the tax credit, the vendor can just raise prices to soak
    up the credit, where as a fixed price just soaks the taxpayer.
    Price fixing also had unseen landmines, supposed the low fixed price drives the operators out of business?
    It wouldn't drive them out of business as like I said it's a subsidy you pay and the government pays the rest though they would probably negotiate a set price. Like you not going to see the government subsidizing fancy special daycares that say have expensive organic food.

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •