View Poll Results: Should Daycare Be Subsidized?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Should Be Fixed Price (Quebec)

    3 5.77%
  • Yes, Means-Tested (France)

    9 17.31%
  • No, It Should Not Be Subsidized

    40 76.92%
Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 435

Thread: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

  1. #261
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    Nope. I don't have a problem when government decides to attempt to employ programs that benefit the greater good.
    How do you know they do that?


  2. #262
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What is more about how you want things to be?
    From my point of you, you only seem to care about minimizing government influence in your life (your rights). I think something like subsidized child care would be good for our society ("how I want things to be"). It's worth the money in my mind.

  3. #263
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    How do you know they do that?

    I'm all for studies in to effectiveness.

  4. #264
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,197

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    No, we do have a conservative federal government but we, in Ontario, have a liberal government. And Observer is correct in that a very large part of Canada's population is concentrated within 100 miles of the Canada/US border and Toronto is by far the largest city in the country - it's the third largest behind New York and Los Angeles, if you don't count Mexico City, in all of North America. As a result, Toronto is the financial capital of the country and many multinational and resource giants are headquartered in Toronto, which means a lot of the high end professional careers in these fields are located in Toronto. Not all, but a large percentage of them, just as are centered in New York.
    Quebec and Montreal specifically is similar in that there is a lot of mostly engineering firms, other financial institutions, natural resources, or any French language business based in the city which also has a very large population but is French speaking.

  5. #265
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    New York is the financial capital of America, and I don't think you need to work in Manhattan to be successful.
    No, I wasn't suggesting you did. Nor was I suggesting you needed to live and work in Toronto to be successful in Canada. There are rich economies in many other provinces in the country. Canada is by no means an unsuccessful country whose citizens are desparate for subsidized living arrangements. It's why about 250,000 are legally accepted into Canada each year - the equivalent in the US would be 2.5 million, which you're nowhere near absorbing in your economy.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #266
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    From my point of you, you only seem to care about minimizing government influence in your life (your rights). I think something like subsidized child care would be good for our society ("how I want things to be"). It's worth the money in my mind.
    Where would you like to see subsidies reduced for individuals, if anywhere?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #267
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,566
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    Should we subsidize the cost of daycare? I was reading a Globe and Mail article (which I can't link to because of the 10 article limit) which talked about the cost of daycare. It was talking about how daycare can cost you 20,000$+ a year thus being a big hit to new families even those making 100,000$+. The couple in the article from Toronto said they spend 13$/day on daycare (fully licensed, nothing fancy daycare) for their child while parents in Quebec can register at government subsidized daycares for 7$/day and there is a waiting list. In France they subsidize daycare and it is means-tested with the lowest price being 50 cents and the highest I think was 13 euros, a day of course. I personally support subsidized daycare as it enables both parents to have successful careers but it is expensive and hard on even the most successful new families, it is not a case of parents that need to make more money or wait but it is just unaffordable and the price needs to be brought down. It also has the benefit of encouraging parents to have more children because they can afford to especially in Quebec where immigration is a problem. I support means-testing as it enables everyone to afford daycare and it avoids waiting lists but Quebec is a nice compromise between the two.
    First question I'd have is, how much do you think a person should get for watching YOUR child for 9 hours or more a day? Then consider, they also have to watch up to what? Ten each? I think that's the typical legal limit in the USA before a second person has to be hired to watch ten more, etc. That means diapers, feeding, burping, cleaning, talking to, preventing from eating things, keeping fingers out of electrical sockets, not fighting, not pulling hair, not biting, reading to, more cleaning, etc., etc., etc. ALL stuff your spouse is supposed to do for FREE 24/7. LOL

    You want two incomes, pay the piper. Now having said that, I'd see subsidized day care as a requirement for welfare moms so that they can go out and find work to get off welfare. I'd also see a means test for poverty level families to help them stay in budget. For professional people so they can get that second Lexus? Hell no! LOL
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  8. #268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    No, I wasn't suggesting you did. Nor was I suggesting you needed to live and work in Toronto to be successful in Canada. There are rich economies in many other provinces in the country. Canada is by no means an unsuccessful country whose citizens are desparate for subsidized living arrangements. It's why about 250,000 are legally accepted into Canada each year - the equivalent in the US would be 2.5 million, which you're nowhere near absorbing in your economy.
    I believe it. Hell, I've considered moving up there. Canada has some really good things going on...of course, this would be awful.

    You don't raise kids in Manhattan, just like you don't raise them in Toronto. NYC is a "yuppie" city. Toronto obviously is too.

  9. #269
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,197

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    First question I'd have is, how much do you think a person should get for watching YOUR child for 9 hours or more a day? Then consider, they also have to watch up to what? Ten each? I think that's the typical legal limit in the USA before a second person has to be hired to watch ten more, etc. That means diapers, feeding, burping, cleaning, talking to, preventing from eating things, keeping fingers out of electrical sockets, not fighting, not pulling hair, not biting, reading to, more cleaning, etc., etc., etc. ALL stuff your spouse is supposed to do for FREE 24/7. LOL

    You want two incomes, pay the piper. Now having said that, I'd see subsidized day care as a requirement for welfare moms so that they can go out and find work to get off welfare. I'd also see a means test for poverty level families to help them stay in budget. For professional people so they can get that second Lexus? Hell no! LOL
    Well like Canada John has said in Canada isn't like a babysitter who just watches 10 kids they are usually like pre-schools I guess well licensed one anyways.

  10. #270
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,197

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I believe it. Hell, I've considered moving up there. Canada has some really good things going on...of course, this would be awful.

    You don't raise kids in Manhattan, just like you don't raise them in Toronto. NYC is a "yuppie" city. Toronto obviously is too.
    Well here we are proud of public education and frankly we don't like Libertarians or social Darwinists mainly both of them are anti-Canadian ideals.

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •