View Poll Results: Should Daycare Be Subsidized?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Should Be Fixed Price (Quebec)

    3 5.77%
  • Yes, Means-Tested (France)

    9 17.31%
  • No, It Should Not Be Subsidized

    40 76.92%
Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 435

Thread: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    I don't think you understand unless you work in a factory or McDonald's you can't work at night or have different shifts.
    So work in a factory or McDonalds.

    There ya go. Problem solved and it didn't cost the tax payer anything.

    You're turning into quite the conservative. You might consider changing your lean soon.

  2. #92
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canadian in Zurich, Switzerland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,667

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If both you and your wife work in a knowledge industry the hours are rather hard to stagger and why would you want to stagger when both of you can work a full day.

  3. #93
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    72,988

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    You should move to Somalia.
    As a current beneficiary of the US, EU, UN and EAU, in a successful attempt to route Al Shabaab from the country, Somalia is currently an international entitlement (human rights) program. It's actually going very well, with Kenya and Ethiopian troops doing the heavy lifting (with massive support from the West).

    I don't get the idea that limiting government = Somalia. Somalia was ruled by the totalitatian AlS (in affiliation with AlQ) and is currently being liberated by the Western world.

    As someone who appears to believe in giving people a chance, do you support Operation Linda Nchi?

  4. #94
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canadian in Zurich, Switzerland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,667

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    So work in a factory or McDonalds.

    There ya go. Problem solved and it didn't cost the tax payer anything.
    No why the **** should my wife or I have to work in a factory just to take care of a child, it benefits you and society to have both of us working in well paying and educated jobs and having subsidized daycare than to have one of us work in a degrading job.

  5. #95
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    No, YOU don't seem to get it. Know what else would make it possible for two people to work instead of just one? Three guesses.

    You're offering a pound of cure. I'm offering an ounce of prevention.
    No, I understand your concerns. I just think the policy/program would be a good thing for society. I doubt most people are going to have a kid just because they can get free daycare. They're still having to pay more money than they would had they not had a kid. Plus, I don't know if you have kids, but it's pretty tiring.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    If both you and your wife work in a knowledge industry the hours are rather hard to stagger and why would you want to stagger when both of you can work a full day.
    So only nine-to-fivers are having kids and being unable to afford them? Is that what you're saying?

    The careers that tend to work those hours are the ones that are most likely to afford kids. The ones that can't are the ones who often have night shifts (grocery, retail, fast food, etc. - that isn't including well-paying careers that don't work standard hours, such as pretty much anything in the medical industry).

    If first-shift, shirt-and-tie professionals can't afford daytime babysitters, I guess the world, as we know it, is going to fall into chaos. Embrace for the apocalypse and keep Tina Turner away from all your canned tuna and gasoline.

  7. #97
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    As a current beneficiary of the US, EU, UN and EAU, in a successful attempt to route Al Shabaab from the country, Somalia is currently an international entitlement (human rights) program. It's actually going very well, with Kenya and Ethiopian troops doing the heavy lifting (with massive support from the West).

    I don't get the idea that limiting government = Somalia. Somalia was ruled by the totalitatian AlS (in affiliation with AlQ) and is currently being liberated by the Western world.

    As someone who appears to believe in giving people a chance, do you support Operation Linda Nchi?
    Oh, I was just using Somalia as an example because it's been called a Libertarian paradise in the past. Yes, I suppose I would support Operation Linda Nchi.

  8. #98
    Sage
    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    If Day Care is subsidized, then it comes under the influence of the government. That means eventually the government will be have oversight into the whole concept. While daycare is a challenging proposition, it seems to me, the last thing we need is government influence on our children at an even earlier age.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    No, I understand your concerns. I just think the policy/program would be a good thing for society. I doubt most people are going to have a kid just because they can get free daycare. They're still having to pay more money than they would had they not had a kid. Plus, I don't know if you have kids, but it's pretty tiring.
    One, I don't have kids. Aside from not really wanting one, I don't want to shell out for them. I also have enough of a conscience to not expect you to either.

    Which do you think is a better solution: giving every skateboarder free helmets and kneepads so they don't get hurt, or telling them not to perform dangerous stunts with a skateboard?

  10. #100
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canadian in Zurich, Switzerland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,667

    Re: Should Daycare Be Subsidized

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    So only nine-to-fivers are having kids and being unable to afford them? Is that what you're saying?

    The careers that tend to work those hours are the ones that are most likely to afford kids. The ones that can't are the ones who often have night shifts (grocery, retail, fast food, etc. - that isn't including well-paying careers that don't work standard hours, such as pretty much anything in the medical industry).

    If first-shift, shirt-and-tie professionals can't afford daytime babysitters, I guess the world, as we know it, is going to fall into chaos. Embrace for the apocalypse and keep Tina Turner away from all your canned tuna and gasoline.
    Do you not want white-collar workers? If even the most well payed can't afford it then you have an issue.

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •