View Poll Results: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 9.57%
  • No

    99 86.09%
  • I don't know/maybe

    5 4.35%
Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 428

Thread: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

  1. #371
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    01-03-18 @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Exactly, and it pisses me off that some people and their ideology are trying to prevent me and others who enjoy the games from watching our country compete.
    Well, it's always better to be pissed off than the alternative...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #372
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Well, it's always better to be pissed off than the alternative...
    Lol! True.

  3. #373
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,210
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    If all our athletes were to wear the armband in protest. And Russia tried that then the games would be shut down.
    So... you don't care if USA athletes have their dreams dashed as long as every other country's athletes have their dreams dashed too, and the games are shut down? Not very sporting of you.

  4. #374
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-20-18 @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    189,669

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    we have had gay athletes win olympic championships. Greg Louganis was at the OTC when I was there. We all knew he was gay. I didn't ever see him engage in overtly homosexual activity in public. Carl Lewis was there too. It is a well known "secret" that he is gay as well though he (at least at times relevant) never admitted it. Several of our male figure skaters are gay and they never engaged in activity which would cause them to run afoul of our laws. Several of our championship ladies basketball and soccer teams members are out of the closet lesbians. Again, none of them have done anything that would cause them to be arrested

    so why do a few people have their panties in a knot over this silly law?
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  5. #375
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    I was vocally opposed to the Beijing olympics, for multiple reasons, but i don't think the athletes and spectators risked arrest and beatings at the mere mention of Taiwan or "looking" Taiwanese. Obviously you can't relate to having to hide yourself in such an oppressive environment. I get it. But then you have to defend why they *should* have to and that starts crossing over into prejudice.

  6. #376
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    I was vocally opposed to the Beijing olympics, for multiple reasons, but i don't think the athletes and spectators risked arrest and beatings at the mere mention of Taiwan or "looking" Taiwanese. Obviously you can't relate to having to hide yourself in such an oppressive environment. I get it. But then you have to defend why they *should* have to and that starts crossing over into prejudice.
    There are plenty of countries with oppressive environments. Did you look at the list I posted earlier about homosexuality laws in other countries. The fact of the matter is that we are GUESTS in these other countries when they host the Olympics. They are under no obligations to do things according to OUR laws. And people with a political agenda should NOT get to decide to every athlete and every person whether or not they want to go to Russia to either compete or be a spectator. NOT your call or the gay people's call either.

  7. #377
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The Olympics are about the athletes, not their sexual preference...
    Yep. If you know an athlete's sexual preference you are either that athlete's partner, or you know too much irrelevant information about the athlete.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  8. #378
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yep. If you know an athlete's sexual preference you are either that athlete's partner, or you know too much irrelevant information about the athlete.
    Well it's not irrelevant in this case. Russia made it very relevant indeed.

  9. #379
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    There are plenty of countries with oppressive environments. Did you look at the list I posted earlier about homosexuality laws in other countries. The fact of the matter is that we are GUESTS in these other countries when they host the Olympics. They are under no obligations to do things according to OUR laws. And people with a political agenda should NOT get to decide to every athlete and every person whether or not they want to go to Russia to either compete or be a spectator. NOT your call or the gay people's call either.
    Not even Hitler threatened our athletes, but Russia has. The games need to be moved, Russia needs to declare the laws not in force during the games, or we need to stay home. It is Russia who has broken the spirit of the games. They have taken their stand and now we need to take ours. Fix this or we will see you in fours years in a better time and place. I hope Snowden can ice stake and is a fast learner.

  10. #380
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 05:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    With all the controversy around a new Russian law against homosexual "propaganda", some are calling for the US to boycott the 2014 winter Olympics in Russia. I don't think we should because it just punishes the athletes that have been training and preparing their whole lives.

    What do you think?
    The whole purpose of the Olympics is to put aside political and social differences and engage in activities together.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •