View Poll Results: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 9.57%
  • No

    99 86.09%
  • I don't know/maybe

    5 4.35%
Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 428

Thread: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

  1. #351
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    I am curious...

    What if things played out in such a way that our citizens were going to be in danger?
    Such as the arrest of our athletes or our citizens there to watch the games.
    If we are not given assurances that our people will not be arrested and beaten, does this change anyone's mind about their "NO" vote?
    (This was the reason I voted maybe)

  2. #352
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    I am curious...

    What if things played out in such a way that our citizens were going to be in danger?
    Such as the arrest of our athletes or our citizens there to watch the games.
    If we are not given assurances that our people will not be arrested and beaten, does this change anyone's mind about their "NO" vote?
    (This was the reason I voted maybe)
    Why would they be arrested and/or beaten?

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What a wimp reply.
    sorry to disappoint ... but if it'll help any, I was disappointed with your post as well ...

  4. #354
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    No two countries have the same laws, values and moral tolerances.

    If the USA should on principle boycott the Olympics, then all countries should always boycott all Olympics.

    The USA has the death penalty. The USA doesn't make women cover their faces. The USA doesn't allow gay marriage. The USA has states that do gay marriage. Alcohol is legal in the USA. The USA does not have an ERA in the constitution. Therefore, 100% of countries should boycott any Olympics in the USA.

    The Olympics was created specifically to have International sports competitions with political statements disallowed. Competitors and winners have been disallowed/disqualified in the past for making political statements at the podium in the past.

    While I fully support gay rights equality, any athlete who kissed someone to make a "gay rights political statement" should be disqualified from all events and stripped of any medals if a winner. The Olympics is NOT a political forum and is specifically to NOT be political.

    The USA boycotting the Olympics for political issues would just be another example of USA arrogance, nothing else.

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    sorry to disappoint ... but if it'll help any, I was disappointed with your post as well ...
    Lol! You're post was clearly your surrender to TD. Just like the little bruised and battered cartoon guy waving his white flag of surrender.

  6. #356
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    I am curious...

    What if things played out in such a way that our citizens were going to be in danger?
    Such as the arrest of our athletes or our citizens there to watch the games.
    If we are not given assurances that our people will not be arrested and beaten, does this change anyone's mind about their "NO" vote?
    (This was the reason I voted maybe)
    That's the thing. The law allows for arrest and deportation of gay foreigners, even those the authorities *suspect* of being gay. They won't enforce that on the athletes, but any reference to anything gay will likely be met with brutality. This is how the olympics will be complicit. If it was held elsewhere, that wouldn't happen.

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    That's the thing. The law allows for arrest and deportation of gay foreigners, even those the authorities *suspect* of being gay. They won't enforce that on the athletes, but any reference to anything gay will likely be met with brutality. This is how the olympics will be complicit. If it was held elsewhere, that wouldn't happen.
    Oh really? I think you are conveniently forgetting the LOADS of other countries where homosexuality is at least discouraged if not outright illegal.

    LGBT rights by country or territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Attached Images Attached Images Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?-15px-x_mark-svg-png 
    Last edited by ChrisL; 08-18-13 at 08:53 PM.

  8. #358
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Oh really? I think you are conveniently forgetting the LOADS of other countries where homosexuality is at least discouraged if not outright illegal.

    LGBT rights by country or territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Discouraged would qualify even parts of the U.S, if not almost the collective populace. Also, the olympics are occurring in Russia, nowhere else. The clear point that chromium was making is that the olympics could easily be held in a more egalitarian country.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  9. #359
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Discouraged would qualify even parts of the U.S, if not almost the collective populace. Also, the olympics are occurring in Russia, nowhere else. The clear point that chromium was making is that the olympics could easily be held in a more egalitarian country.
    I don't think any of you even understand the point of the Olympics. It is meant to bring countries together who don't necessarily share the same culture and beliefs. The only thing people have to do is to keep it in their pants when out in public for TWO WEEKS.

  10. #360
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Should the US Boycott the Russian Olympics?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't think any of you even understand the point of the Olympics. It is meant to bring countries together who don't necessarily share the same culture and beliefs. The only thing people have to do is to keep it in their pants when out in public for TWO WEEKS.
    Right, however, Russia has willingly deported individuals for the suspicion of being homosexual. What constitutes suspicious actions and what provocation is needed? Nothing brings countries together like intolerance.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •