View Poll Results: Is Obesity a Disability

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is a disability.

    17 19.10%
  • No, it isn't a disability.

    55 61.80%
  • Maybe? Too much going on to say definitively.

    17 19.10%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 169

Thread: Is Obesity a disability?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Has anybody said 'all'?

    You've yet to make your point. There are many causes to obesity, but obesity is mainly a symptom of other underlying issues.
    You have yet to support this statement which you have made twice now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #62
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You have yet to support this statement which you have made twice now.
    Then try reading the links.

    And you still haven't made your point.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,493

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    if it is then it is a self imposed disability in most cases, and shouldn't be given the same protection and special consideration as one that is not
    Where do you draw the line? Someone's who wheelchair bound because of a recreational skydiving accident is there because he did something something a lot of people would consider unnecessarily risky. Should he also not get special consideration?

    In my view "disability" is a functional categorization that is independent of how one became disabled.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  4. #64
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Then try reading the links.

    And you still haven't made your point.
    I cant make any point yet because you refuse to clarify or support your statement.

    I do object to "Obesity is caused by underlying mental or health issues' which you orignally posted.

    I asked you to provide a foundation for that statement. You refuse to quantify 'obesity' for one thing.

    Because my initial objection is that overeating and poor nutrition (eating too much of the wrong things like artificial sweeteners, transfats, etc) are the primary causes. If those are 'mental or physical issues,' I'd want to see that supported as well. And for the majority, not "some people cant control blah blah blah.' Esp since you have not quantified 'obesity.'

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Obesity is actually a symptom of other conditions (mental and/or physical) which may be considered a disability, but in and of itself, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Has anybody said 'all'?

    You've yet to make your point. There are many causes to obesity, but obesity is mainly a symptom of other underlying issues.
    Last edited by Lursa; 08-13-14 at 05:50 PM. Reason: provided quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #65
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I cant make any point yet because you refuse to clarify or support your statement.

    I do object to "Obesity is caused by underlying mental or health issues' which you orignally posted.

    I asked you to provide a foundation for that statement. You refuse to quantify 'obesity' for one thing.

    Because my initial objection is that overeating and poor nutrition (eating too much of the wrong things like artificial sweeteners, transfats, etc) are the primary causes. If those are 'mental or physical issues,' I'd want to see that supported as well. And for the majority, not "some people cant control blah blah blah.' Esp since you have not quantified 'obesity.'
    Obesity by definition, varies according to the source. I am not a doctor, so I cannot claim to have a personal interpretation of the word. Some medical personnel say 50 pounds over weight, some say more.

    The Mayo clinic begs to differ with you. There are reasons WHY people eat poorly. Not all of them have to do with being lazy or poor.

    I tell you what, talk to a recently diagnosed Type 1 diabetic, and ask them what they gorged on prior to their diagnosis. Most will tell you extremely high carb junk food or candy... because their body craved the carbs.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Obesity by definition, varies according to the source. I am not a doctor, so I cannot claim to have a personal interpretation of the word. Some medical personnel say 50 pounds over weight, some say more.

    The Mayo clinic begs to differ with you. There are reasons WHY people eat poorly. Not all of them have to do with being lazy or poor.

    I tell you what, talk to a recently diagnosed Type 1 diabetic, and ask them what they gorged on prior to their diagnosis. Most will tell you extremely high carb junk food or candy... because their body craved the carbs.
    Our bodies naturally crave certain things, like fat and sugar. We evolved to do so and our modern diets and physiology have not continued to progress at the same rates. That is not an 'underlying mental or physical issue.' That is human physiology.

    "Most" people do not have diabetes or other medical conditions that contribute heavily to their obesity. (pun intended)

    As far as I'm concerned, your claims are more incorrect than correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Obesity is actually a symptom of other conditions (mental and/or physical) which may be considered a disability, but in and of itself, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Has anybody said 'all'?

    You've yet to make your point. There are many causes to obesity, but obesity is mainly a symptom of other underlying issues.
    I havent seen the claims supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Of course it is , surprising that so many here know this not ... I thought the people here were smarter than that ..
    I am, of course, speaking of true obesity, not runaway fatness , nor depression , yet another problem .

  8. #68
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Obesity is not "mainly" caused by some unpreventable condition or psychological problem. It is mainly caused by a lazy culture that makes it easy for people to eat badly, and for younger people, growing up being raised by people who fed them crap.

    I don't like cooking. It would be easy for me to fall into the "lazy eating" trap if it weren't for the fact that I grew up on good food, and I feel ill eating crap, whereas most Americans today seem to think feeling that way is normal. So I have no microwave, and I have an intentionally small freezer, and I just generally make it really difficult for myself to rely on crap, and therefore I eat reasonably well. I like good food. I just don't like making it. So I make it nearly impossible for myself to make bad food, thus I eat better.

    Personally, I have a demonic craving for sugar. This is very common in humans -- we need more sugar than a lot of critters do because of the energy demands of our brains, and it's hard to find in nature, so our drive for it is strong. I like to attribute my love of sugar to having an especially large brain.

    I have two ways I can address that. I can eat a lot of pastries and candy, or I can eat a lot of fruit. They both do the same thing. They both satisfy that craving.

    I admit I'm weak for a good donut, but if I keep my place stocked like a monkey's horde, I will eat fruit, because it's there. So that's what I do. And some dark chocolate. It's good for you.

    If I want my cookies, I'm gonna have to make them myself, and because I'm lazy, that doesn't happen terribly often. It's easier to eat the fruit. Even if the cookies do happen, at least I know they're made of actual food, not weird fillers and fake blueberries made to taste reminiscent of food.

    People started eating crap because it's easy. Candy can be bought in great quantity, because it usually doesn't go bad. Greasy highly processed foods take less prep and are more instantly gratifying -- just throw it in the microwave. Corn syrup makes things cheap. They are getting worse because now they're born into families where people have always eaten that way.

    Even people with medical problems are not simply relegated to ballooning out by 200 pounds, as someone else mentioned up-thread. I know a lot of people with such health issues. Over a dozen. An entire generation of my family got hit with metabolic problems and failures due to long-term toxin exposure, and I have several friends with various issues that can cause weight gain. None of them have gained more than 20 pounds. Most of them take their meds and they eat sensibly and many of them work out, and they have maintained a reasonable weight, with some staying within the normal range. Some have inched into the overweight category and can't get down lower than that, but being slightly overweight isn't a big deal as long as their lifestyle is good. The ones who don't do any of those things were already obese long before they had health problems.

    Metabolic issues are not a cause to simply throw up your hands and let your bum spread. We have treatments for these things, and most people can control their weight to an extent if they put in the effort.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    As the topic states: Do you think that obesity counts as a legitimate disability?

    It's a pretty big deal in employment law according to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and they count it as such under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act. For all intents and purposes it would make sense that it does count as a disability, as they are technically disabled by definition (physical impairment or lack of physical functioning). But I just can't help but disagree with the notion. Especially considering how I know many people and I'm sure many of you might as well, who eat themselves into that situation. They're literally eating and drinking themselves into being disabled, and they get counted among those who are actually medically obese. That's just wrong to me.

    Here is a humorous article about the subject: Obesity: A Disability or a Lack of Responsibility? | We Are People 2

    Thoughts?
    There's too many factors,

    from wheat (which is not as filled with nutrients as it once was)
    to cars (which enables people to ride instead of walk - which is why city folk are generally skinnier than country folk)
    to processed foods
    to foods filled with sugar that our kids face so much pressure to eat
    to soda machines in school
    to junk food that's cheaper (and far quicker) to buy and eat than healthy food
    to high fructose corn syrup

    ...the list goes on.

    Come to think of it, I'd have to change my vote to say that obesity is more and more a disability...but one not of an individual's making, but a result of the society we ourselves have built.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  10. #70
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,738

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    As the topic states: Do you think that obesity counts as a legitimate disability?

    It's a pretty big deal in employment law according to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and they count it as such under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act. For all intents and purposes it would make sense that it does count as a disability, as they are technically disabled by definition (physical impairment or lack of physical functioning). But I just can't help but disagree with the notion. Especially considering how I know many people and I'm sure many of you might as well, who eat themselves into that situation. They're literally eating and drinking themselves into being disabled, and they get counted among those who are actually medically obese. That's just wrong to me.

    Here is a humorous article about the subject: Obesity: A Disability or a Lack of Responsibility? | We Are People 2

    Thoughts?
    Obesity is not always the obese person's fault. And, it can be quite disabling. However, not enough is known about it yet to draw definite conclusions.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •