View Poll Results: Is Obesity a Disability

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is a disability.

    17 19.10%
  • No, it isn't a disability.

    55 61.80%
  • Maybe? Too much going on to say definitively.

    17 19.10%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 169

Thread: Is Obesity a disability?

  1. #41
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,494
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    There is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about processed foods but fresh groceries are not more expensive than junk food.

    That's besides the point though. No one becomes obese because they're eating the "wrong" food, whatever that is. You become obese because you eat way too much.
    Damn. How can you have lived long enough to know how to use a computer and not have learned that everything you said in that post is bull****?

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    As the topic states: Do you think that obesity counts as a legitimate disability?

    It's a pretty big deal in employment law according to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and they count it as such under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act. For all intents and purposes it would make sense that it does count as a disability, as they are technically disabled by definition (physical impairment or lack of physical functioning). But I just can't help but disagree with the notion. Especially considering how I know many people and I'm sure many of you might as well, who eat themselves into that situation. They're literally eating and drinking themselves into being disabled, and they get counted among those who are actually medically obese. That's just wrong to me.

    Here is a humorous article about the subject: http://wearepeople2.com/obesity-a-di...esponsibility/

    Thoughts?
    It is a real big deal as obesity and other lifestyle choices are a major cause of disability. Econically with advances in healthcare and our ineffectual payor system and everyone trying to live as long as they can at any expense to others will put us on a downward spiral economically regardless of who is our POTUS.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Damn. How can you have lived long enough to know how to use a computer and not have learned that everything you said in that post is bull****?
    Unlike you, I'm actually old enough to have bought groceries for a family for decades.

    I know how much things cost.

    Cooking a family dinner is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper per person than running to KFC or McDonald's.

  4. #44
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    There is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about processed foods
    That depends on which processed food. Hydrogenating, loading them up with HFCS, and loading them with additives for shelf life are unhealthy.

    but fresh groceries are not more expensive than junk food.
    This depends on how many people you are feeding and if you have freezer space for leftovers.

    Calorie for calorie though, junk food is cheaper, but that's largely due to subsidies on corn and meat reducing the costs to consumers. If we take away subsidies, junk food gets much more expensive. You can get a lot more calories out of a bag of cheap cheetos then you can out of a turkey dinner for the same price. It's partially why really poor people are really fat.

    No one becomes obese because they're eating the "wrong" food, whatever that is.
    Surprisingly yes. I'm still waiting on why the Junk Food Diet that college health professor reduced his LDL. That makes no sense.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #45
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Obesity is NOT a disability... it is almost universally fat people being really ****ing lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #46
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Obesity is no more of a "disability" than emphysema is for a lifelong 2 pack a day smoker. I mean, sure, it can disable you to be morbidly obese, but just like with a lifelong smoker, it is entirely your own doing, 100% your fault (and your parents if they allowed you to be obese as a child). Everyone that is not obese sees the same ads for foods, drives past the same fast food joints, and sees the same crap in the store when they shop for groceries, yet they make better health choices.

    <-------- See that picture, that is me coming in from a 9 mile run in -3 degree weather with a -30 to -40 windchill. I have been an avid runner for over 10 years now and an avid cyclist for 5 years now. I am 38 years old. Prior to becoming a runner I was some 40 pounds heavier than I am now. My body fat percentage runs 5 to 7% depending on what I am training for. My HDL averages over 70. My blood sugar is never high, my Blood Pressure is always normal. My resting heart rate is very low, and every time I get a physical I am told that my numbers are phenomenal across the board. This is all due to my being active and eating a healthy whole foods diet that is rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, cold water fishes and so on. I never eat fast food. I manage to do all this despite the fact we have 3 kids and I work a lot of hours. I also pack my lunch for work religiously.

    The fact is, society did not make you fat or unhealthy and it will not make you lean and healthy, it is all choices that you must make yourself.
    Last edited by SouthernDemocrat; 08-13-14 at 12:49 AM.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    If you mean is someone packing an extra 20-30 pounds disabled than no, but people who are morbidly obese can become disabled because of it so I say yes. It involves a combination of factors, but morbid obesity can be a driver of combinations of things that make people unable to work, especially problems with their knees, ankles, and backs as well as breathing, level of exertion, blood pressure, and diabetes.
    They only get obese enough to be disabled because the only exercise they get is moving a fork to their mouth.

    Even someone with thyroid or other metabolic problems wouldn't be near the size of the herd we see. In order to put on that much weight, they still have to take in the amount of calories/carbohydrates necessary to build that much fat. With decent diet and reasonable exercise they shouldn't be more than that 20-30 pounds over weight you mentioned.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Is the employment issue more about an inability to fulfill job requirements or about additional sick time losses and higher health insurance costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Obesity is actually a symptom of other conditions (mental and/or physical) which may be considered a disability, but in and of itself, no.
    Can you provide any sources that say the greater part of obesity in America is caused by that? It is the opposite of what I've read...which is about diet and inactivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Obesity a disability?

    No. Even those labeled as "morbidly obese" don't have to be what we'd consider to be huge. A person being 50# overweight is considered morbidly obese.
    And even if the morbidly obese are that way because of medical conditions, there are medical ways to reduce it now. Perhaps for not all but most. However the surgeries and other procedures are not always covered by insurance and it's $$$$$$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •