View Poll Results: Is Obesity a Disability

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is a disability.

    17 19.10%
  • No, it isn't a disability.

    55 61.80%
  • Maybe? Too much going on to say definitively.

    17 19.10%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 169

Thread: Is Obesity a disability?

  1. #101
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by ~SAL View Post
    unfortunately even after using tax dollars for bypass it is not always successful long term
    That is because they learn to "cheat" it.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #102
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    I most definitely don't consider obesity a disability. It is something which can be fixed with exertion of self control.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #103
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    No, its but a means for people to avoid personal responsibility and get money from the g

  4. #104
    Sage
    _Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    somewhere across the border in the great North
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    True, because people tend to return to old habits. I also know many of them don't implement exercise and they look "saggy".
    They just see it as a quick fix without having to do anything. I probably know at least 12-14 people who've had it done and none of them implemented exercise. They still eat crap just smaller portions.
    well smaller portions is at least an improvement...it takes a lot of effort to overcome that type of surgery because at first the amount one can eat is almost miniscule...and vomiting is common...pretty much you have to stretch your stomach right back out and that happens with many.

    I think this indicates other issues not dealt with for which food is being used as a coping mechanism.

    But this is not uncommon. Even after a life threatening event in which diet would make a huge difference to quality and quantity of life there is less than 10% compliance after about four months.

    That is an amazing stat to me...you know if you continue to eat like that you will die early and not have much standard of life yet food is chosen.

  5. #105
    Sage
    _Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    somewhere across the border in the great North
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    That is because they learn to "cheat" it.
    yes and learning to cheat it takes a huge effort

  6. #106
    Sage
    _Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    somewhere across the border in the great North
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I most definitely don't consider obesity a disability. It is something which can be fixed with exertion of self control.
    I am uncertain of whether it can be fixed with exertion of self control. When I want a Klondike bar from my freezer it keeps calling my name until I go get it.

    For alcoholics they still struggle and they give up alcohol or drugs entirely...one can not give up food. The temptation is great to keep eating.

    Not to mention how our society encourages it unlike when I was young everything now has apparently doubled in size. Sometimes when we eat out we will split an entree and an appetizer, it's a lot of food. That is not the norm. Most would have an appetizer and the entree and dessert. The likelihood of downing more calories than one needs in the whole day in one meal is probable. Do that twice a day and morbid obesity is almost a given.

  7. #107
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by ~SAL View Post
    I am uncertain of whether it can be fixed with exertion of self control. When I want a Klondike bar from my freezer it keeps calling my name until I go get it.

    For alcoholics they still struggle and they give up alcohol or drugs entirely...one can not give up food. The temptation is great to keep eating.

    .
    Food isn't a psychotropic substance. It may be comforting, but it does not alter consciousness in the same way that drugs and alcohol do. It is VERY rare for a metabolic disorder to exist which keeps one from losing weight, if they cut their calories to under their basal metabolic rate.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #108
    Sage
    _Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    somewhere across the border in the great North
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Food isn't a psychotropic substance. It may be comforting, but it does not alter consciousness in the same way that drugs and alcohol do. It is VERY rare for a metabolic disorder to exist which keeps one from losing weight, if they cut their calories to under their basal metabolic rate.
    but it does stimulate endorphins...and that can be addictive

    plus big friends have told me they never feel full after eating...it's as if they have no stop mechanism, although there may be no gene involved like there is in alcoholism there could be some chemical component that is still misunderstood

    plus I do believe there is some type of psychological aspect not yet understood

    and only recently all those studies they used which forced changes in how our food is constructed such as low sugar, low fat, low carb etc seemed to have been based on false conclusions and may in fact have helped in the march to a morbidly obese society

    plus they do not know long term the effects of the genetically altered food they are shoving down us

    there are many questions around the health benefits of our diets, now more than ever

  9. #109
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by ~SAL View Post
    but it does stimulate endorphins...and that can be addictive

    plus big friends have told me they never feel full after eating...it's as if they have no stop mechanism, although there may be no gene involved like there is in alcoholism there could be some chemical component that is still misunderstood

    plus I do believe there is some type of psychological aspect not yet understood

    and only recently all those studies they used which forced changes in how our food is constructed such as low sugar, low fat, low carb etc seemed to have been based on false conclusions and may in fact have helped in the march to a morbidly obese society

    plus they do not know long term the effects of the genetically altered food they are shoving down us

    there are many questions around the health benefits of our diets, now more than ever
    Endorphins don't mean that you have no self-control. Runners release endorphins too. Virtually anyone who will exert the self-control to limit their caloric intake on a regular basis, will lose weight.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #110
    Sage
    _Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    somewhere across the border in the great North
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Endorphins don't mean that you have no self-control. Runners release endorphins too. Virtually anyone who will exert the self-control to limit their caloric intake on a regular basis, will lose weight.

    yes, lol, running releasing endorphins big time...my guy is addicted to it (in a manner of speaking) ...hope those old knees of his hold out

    so is your conclusion then that obese people do not have the same amount of self control as healthy weight people?

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •