View Poll Results: Is Obesity a Disability

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is a disability.

    17 19.10%
  • No, it isn't a disability.

    55 61.80%
  • Maybe? Too much going on to say definitively.

    17 19.10%
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 169

Thread: Is Obesity a disability?

  1. #91
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,161

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yeah but what about drug addicts and alcoholics. We've ended up diagnosing those as 'diseases.' (Alcoholism at least).

    I can see obesity following that trend
    Well, here's the thing. Biologically, they are. And they're permanent.

    Did you know that withdrawal from alcohol can kill someone outright? That's probably what killed Amy Winehouse, actually. The risk of death rises each time you relapse and quit. She probably died of repeatedly attempting sobriety, believe it or not.

    Did you know that getting clean often leaves someone with permanent mental health problems, like depression, because of what long-term substance abuse has changed in their brain?

    In addiction, the brain is re-wired to believe it needs the substance to live. That's why people get sick when they withdrawal, and with a couple substances like alcohol, can even die. It's why they don't necessarily ever return to normal, no matter how long they're clean.

    It doesn't mean it's not worth getting clean. Of course it is, and there are endless benefits to quality of life of doing so. But the damage is permanent, and quitting is dangerous, and usually professional medical support needs to be involved. Sometimes forever.

    That isn't so much the case with getting back into shape. Assuming you're not attempting to do so through disordered eating, you reap nothing but benefits. It doesn't cause depression. It cures it. It doesn't cause illness. It cures it.

    Obese people don't continue to over-eat because they feel like they'll die if they don't. Most of them are actually unable to recognize what hunger feels like, because they never go long enough to actually get hungry. Obesity is, at most, an outlet for something else, which may be a disease (often a mental one). But it simply doesn't have the factors involved that addiction does.

    This doesn't clearly answer the question of whether they should get benefits. I for one think it's insane to put health care on employers to begin with and it's unbelievable that we're still trying to run our system this way. But it's not debatable that addiction is a disease. It is often genetic, and it has real physical manifestations in the brain and body.

  2. #92
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,480
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    What drives people to over eat? Usually a psychological state that causes them to crave food (there are a multitude of reasons that can cause that state of mind). And it can be a vicious circle... the more you weigh, the more tired you feel, the less active you will be.

    The state of mind is the primary cause. The obesity is a symptom of that state of mind.
    I'm not sure that most obesity is caused by over-eating, not in terms of sheer volume. I suspect that most obesity is caused by lower-income people trying to get the most filling bang for their food dollar and not knowing how to cook a healthy diet- and not knowing the importance. If you know that $20 worth of KFC will feed your family and you don't know how to turn $20 into a healthy meal, you have already made a decision.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  3. #93
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    I think in some cases it can be caused by a physical and/or mental disability.

    But I do not think that is always the case.

    Unless you consider lazyness a mental disability. Who knows, it may be?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #94
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Self inflicted disability, but a disability none the less. Not one that deserves special privilages. I think most who are against it being classified as a disability are worried taxpayers will pay for it. I think a distinction can be made here.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,876

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Well, here's the thing. Biologically, they are. And they're permanent.

    Did you know that withdrawal from alcohol can kill someone outright? That's probably what killed Amy Winehouse, actually. The risk of death rises each time you relapse and quit. She probably died of repeatedly attempting sobriety, believe it or not.

    Did you know that getting clean often leaves someone with permanent mental health problems, like depression, because of what long-term substance abuse has changed in their brain?

    In addiction, the brain is re-wired to believe it needs the substance to live. That's why people get sick when they withdrawal, and with a couple substances like alcohol, can even die. It's why they don't necessarily ever return to normal, no matter how long they're clean.

    It doesn't mean it's not worth getting clean. Of course it is, and there are endless benefits to quality of life of doing so. But the damage is permanent, and quitting is dangerous, and usually professional medical support needs to be involved. Sometimes forever.

    That isn't so much the case with getting back into shape. Assuming you're not attempting to do so through disordered eating, you reap nothing but benefits. It doesn't cause depression. It cures it. It doesn't cause illness. It cures it.

    Obese people don't continue to over-eat because they feel like they'll die if they don't. Most of them are actually unable to recognize what hunger feels like, because they never go long enough to actually get hungry. Obesity is, at most, an outlet for something else, which may be a disease (often a mental one). But it simply doesn't have the factors involved that addiction does.

    This doesn't clearly answer the question of whether they should get benefits. I for one think it's insane to put health care on employers to begin with and it's unbelievable that we're still trying to run our system this way. But it's not debatable that addiction is a disease. It is often genetic, and it has real physical manifestations in the brain and body.
    Complete withdrawal from food can kill you too. Fortunately, that's not necessary to beat obesity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #96
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,161

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Complete withdrawal from food can kill you too. Fortunately, that's not necessary to beat obesity
    Yes, but that isn't disordered. It is disordered to become dependent for life on a neurotoxin.

  7. #97

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Yes and no. Obesity can be very disabling; however, obesity should not count as a disability for parking or government assistance.

    But then someone could argue that losing a leg from smoking shouldn't be considered for disability benefits.

  8. #98
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I won't be a bit surprised when that happens, and I do believe that a lot of obese people should pay their own bills because it's a self-inflicted problem.
    There's a trend lately where people eat themselves into obesity and then get gastric bypass on medicaid/Medicare or the like. Basically for free... Well on our tax dollars.

  9. #99
    Sage
    _Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    somewhere across the border in the great North
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    There's a trend lately where people eat themselves into obesity and then get gastric bypass on medicaid/Medicare or the like. Basically for free... Well on our tax dollars.
    unfortunately even after using tax dollars for bypass it is not always successful long term

  10. #100
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Is Obesity a disability?

    Quote Originally Posted by ~SAL View Post
    unfortunately even after using tax dollars for bypass it is not always successful long term
    True, because people tend to return to old habits. I also know many of them don't implement exercise and they look "saggy".
    They just see it as a quick fix without having to do anything. I probably know at least 12-14 people who've had it done and none of them implemented exercise. They still eat crap just smaller portions.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •