View Poll Results: Should we, American's, have private electronic communications?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes of course

    30 81.08%
  • No we need protection from bad people

    3 8.11%
  • I don't care

    4 10.81%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Should American's have private electronic communications?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    It is probably more an issue of coming up with workable algorithms that can sort the wide variety of garbage in.
    Which is why the NSA is such a large employer of PhD mathematicians.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #22
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,166

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    We do not accept that. We just never had a choice.
    I disagree...Google for example doesn't hide the fact that free browser and free gmail is paid for by data mining. People do make the choice everyday to exchange privacy for a good internet browser or good email service.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #23
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I disagree...Google for example doesn't hide the fact that free browser and free gmail is paid for by data mining. People do make the choice everyday to exchange privacy for a good internet browser or good email service.
    I'd rather pay for it. But in the end there is some expected level of private industry performing direct marketing. I can accept this too, on a limited basis. For instance, Amazon. I do buy a lot from there, they keep sending me e-mails about other stuff I want to buy. Damned good at their direct marketing. If I buy something from Amazon, I can agree to the fact that they'll keep record of transaction and they themselves can use that record to design direct advertising strategies. OK, fine, between me and Amazon. Where I would draw the line is Amazon giving that information away. That's my information, my effects and papers. Amazon directly facilitated it so they get use of the data; but it cannot be sold or given away without warrant. That's the line that I think would be proper in this case.

    And in none of it is it allowed that government in general monitor my internet usage or buying history. They aren't even direct marketing to me, so **** them.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #24
    Advisor Lukas105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States of America
    Last Seen
    08-07-15 @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    368

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    All I see from this thread is "Baaaaaaaa"
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

  5. #25
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Why? If you allow secure communications the government cannot access then the political process will be your representative sitting on his super secure phone line auctioning off his vote to the highest bidder and there is no way you are going to catch him doing it.
    Well then it sounds like the best options are to a) be the representative or b) be the highest bidder. On a smaller scale, work with organizations that have the resources to influence a or b.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Actually we do have a choice; try to replace any congress critters that voted for allowing these snooping laws.
    You need better alternatives to replace them with. Those Tea Party jokers certainly weren't better, and anybody who really fights for personal liberties is loudly denounced, often by your political factions.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Well then it sounds like the best options are to a) be the representative or b) be the highest bidder. On a smaller scale, work with organizations that have the resources to influence a or b.
    The only organization that will influence the highest bidder will be his/her shareholders.

  7. #27
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I disagree...Google for example doesn't hide the fact that free browser and free gmail is paid for by data mining. People do make the choice everyday to exchange privacy for a good internet browser or good email service.
    Now find one that doesn't do that? There is no choice. Just because that's the status quo doesn't make it alright.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    The only organization that will influence the highest bidder will be his/her shareholders.
    And you're alright treating politics like a business?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    wow, 18/20 say yes yet this POS government gets support??

    I suppose some people are willing to sacrifice liberty for free Obama phones (no pun intended)...

  9. #29
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Government does not get unfettered access and power with new tech. They are restricted and must necessarily stay so.
    I agree in principle with you. However fact does get in the way. The backbone and infrastructure are owned by businesses that have a vested interested in your communications and a vested interest in cooperating with the government. This means in reality we MUST encrypt our communications if we use these facilities and wish to have privacy. Its annoying but the fact remains WE do not OWN the backbone therefore have little control except to do business with those providers that most reflect our views.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should American's have private electronic communications?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    I agree in principle with you. However fact does get in the way. The backbone and infrastructure are owned by businesses that have a vested interested in your communications and a vested interest in cooperating with the government. This means in reality we MUST encrypt our communications if we use these facilities and wish to have privacy. Its annoying but the fact remains WE do not OWN the backbone therefore have little control except to do business with those providers that most reflect our views.
    It means that my data, while it can be used by the business I directly do business too, cannot be transmitted by the business nor illegally searched by the government. For systems which are free, it may be a bit trickier; but the problem is the level of aggregation of tech and surveillance is causing the datamining to become vastly more efficient and with devastating results to us all. Because of this, it must be restricted down such that the government is forced to obey the restrictions placed upon it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •