View Poll Results: How should presidents be elected

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Popular vote

    34 48.57%
  • Electoral college

    36 51.43%
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 245

Thread: The electoral college

  1. #1
    User Xsnake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    08-27-13 @ 02:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    69

    The electoral college

    The idea of the electoral college is the perfect example of "democracy" gone wrong. Presidents should be elected based on the popular vote, not the electoral vote. I want the president that more people voted for, not the one that was supported by bigger states. I live in a blue state and I'm Republican which means when I vote, my vote just gets thrown away and I'm forced to support the democrat because that's who more people in the state vote for. Even if one person wins the popular vote which would mean the majority wants that person, the person that less people want can still win the electoral vote and then we're stuck with him/her. The electoral college is just pure stupidity and it should be abolished.
    Republican - Conservative government is the answer
    Roman Catholic - The true Church of Christ, founded on the back of St. Peter.

    VOTE PAUL RYAN IN 2016

  2. #2
    User Xsnake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    08-27-13 @ 02:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    69

    Re: The electoral college

    If you're going to vote, please explain your answer.
    Republican - Conservative government is the answer
    Roman Catholic - The true Church of Christ, founded on the back of St. Peter.

    VOTE PAUL RYAN IN 2016

  3. #3
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,872
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The electoral college

    I decide.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  4. #4
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: The electoral college

    I think the electoral college serves a decent purpose in that it limits democracy and gives additional incentive to cover numerous regions that would otherwise be further ignored. One could also tweak the formula for either representation per state or by the electoral votes for each state.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #5
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: The electoral college

    I think the electoral system is fine, but it needs to be tweaked a bit. I'd rather see it done by say, Congressional district. Give each district equal weight so that you can't win simply by getting a few population centers in big states - and get rid of the idea of safe states altogether so that they have to compete in each of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #6
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: The electoral college

    "popular vote" isn't democracy....it's "mob rule"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: The electoral college

    I support state senates deciding who to cast the state's electors for.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: The electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsnake1 View Post
    The idea of the electoral college is the perfect example of "democracy" gone wrong. Presidents should be elected based on the popular vote, not the electoral vote. I want the president that more people voted for, not the one that was supported by bigger states. I live in a blue state and I'm Republican which means when I vote, my vote just gets thrown away and I'm forced to support the democrat because that's who more people in the state vote for. Even if one person wins the popular vote which would mean the majority wants that person, the person that less people want can still win the electoral vote and then we're stuck with him/her. The electoral college is just pure stupidity and it should be abolished.
    In a field of 3 or more candidates, I think we need a good runoff system too so that someone with 70% of the public voting against him doesn't win. I personally like the Instant Runoff idea as it addresses lower turnout in runoff elections and saves money. Instant Runoff Voting - YouTube
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #9
    User Xsnake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    08-27-13 @ 02:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    69

    Re: The electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I support state senates deciding who to cast the state's electors for.
    That's the perfect idea, who gave you it Fidel Castro, Kim Jong-un, a book by Josef Stalin. If that happens, the people will have no say in government and the same party would win every election.
    Republican - Conservative government is the answer
    Roman Catholic - The true Church of Christ, founded on the back of St. Peter.

    VOTE PAUL RYAN IN 2016

  10. #10
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: The electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I think the electoral college serves a decent purpose in that it limits democracy and gives additional incentive to cover numerous regions that would otherwise be further ignored. One could also tweak the formula for either representation per state or by the electoral votes for each state.
    Under the current system the state with the America's highest population, California gets ignored and all of the attention is placed on Florida, Ohio, Virginia and maybe Pennsylvania. Plus American citizens living in the US territories cannot vote for President even if they were born on the mainland, lived in Texas their whole lives and recently relocate there.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 08-07-13 at 04:46 PM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •