View Poll Results: Vote for the ones you think are fake/phony scandals

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • The IRS targeting conservatives

    15 27.27%
  • Benghazi

    16 29.09%
  • Fast and Furious

    10 18.18%
  • NSA spying on American citizens

    7 12.73%
  • None of the above

    35 63.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Which of these scandals is/are phony?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Not to target you, just you were the first to bring up this position...

    But can you explain how;

    -The IRS politically motivated targeting,
    -Benghazi, and allowing people to be killed to cover for an arms shipment to Alquaida,
    - fast and furious that gave guns to mexicans which wound up killing Americans to demonize te second ammendment, and
    - NSA spying on everything you say electronically,

    Are all overhyped??

    About 15 or so years ago, the president was impeached for lying about a bj, so, how are not one of these even close to that extreme crime of recieving??

    I'm not being facetious, I really want to understand here??

    EDIT:: caveat; in your explanation, please refrain from the "they did it first so it's ok" type justifications. It was all just as wrong when bush did it, or Clinton, it's not ok because someone else got away with it...
    Well, too your caveat, it does matter that some have been ongoing and largely ignored by conservatives until now. But, largely claims have been made not supported by evidence. The tendency had been to leap all the way to bat **** nutter instead of asking reasonable questions and talking about it based on factual information.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #12
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    I take issue with the word "phony". I prefer the term "exaggerated by political motivation." Those I have checked are, in my opinion, exaggerated by political motivation.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, too your caveat, it does matter that some have been ongoing and largely ignored by conservatives until now. But, largely claims have been made not supported by evidence. The tendency had been to leap all the way to bat **** nutter instead of asking reasonable questions and talking about it based on factual information.
    In a time where a whistleblower gets called a traitor, and finds himself in the bastion of freedom known as Russia for a safe haven...

    With the track record of lying politicians, to the point of being cliche.

    With the facts only really coming out after everyone has forgotten an moved on....

    There comes a point where EVEN IF these are all given the best benefit of doubt; they each individually have crossed a line, and the culmination of all of them and people actually think this cage being built around them is in their best interest....

    I understand the fast and furious during bush was called "operation gunrunner", that the IRS targets different groups differently.

    http://nation.foxnews.com/benghazi/2...nghazi-mission

    The Libyan militia group that the State Department hired to defend its embattled diplomatic mission in Benghazi had clear al-Qaida sympathies, and had prominently displayed the al-Qaida flag on a Facebook page for months before the deadly attack.

    That organization, the February 17th Martyrs Brigade, was paid by the U.S. government to provide security at the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya. But there is no indication the Martyrs Brigade fulfilled its commitment to defend the mission on Sept. 11, when it came under attack.
    The "speculation" (as in testimony, but that's another issue), was that it was an arms deal "gone bad".

    Ultimately, the point is that at this point more people should be more upset with what's going on then they seem to be displaying...

    No joke here, it does not matter that these are ongoing programs, but the fact that Rather than maintaining the position when the last guy was doing it and tried to fight it, now these same people should maintain that fierce opposition to these PROGRAMS and forget the "parties", suddenly the country would be effectively united with the common purpose of ending the corruption before it destroys the country completely to a third world status.

    Sorry for the rant, and take it personal, but don't since it's such a common argument, this could just as easily been to someone else.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    In a time where a whistleblower gets called a traitor, and finds himself in the bastion of freedom known as Russia for a safe haven...

    With the track record of lying politicians, to the point of being cliche.

    With the facts only really coming out after everyone has forgotten an moved on....

    There comes a point where EVEN IF these are all given the best benefit of doubt; they each individually have crossed a line, and the culmination of all of them and people actually think this cage being built around them is in their best interest....

    I understand the fast and furious during bush was called "operation gunrunner", that the IRS targets different groups differently.

    Newsmax: US Hired Al-Qaeda-Linked Group to Defend Benghazi Mission - Fox Nation



    The "speculation" (as in testimony, but that's another issue), was that it was an arms deal "gone bad".

    Ultimately, the point is that at this point more people should be more upset with what's going on then they seem to be displaying...

    No joke here, it does not matter that these are ongoing programs, but the fact that Rather than maintaining the position when the last guy was doing it and tried to fight it, now these same people should maintain that fierce opposition to these PROGRAMS and forget the "parties", suddenly the country would be effectively united with the common purpose of ending the corruption before it destroys the country completely to a third world status.

    Sorry for the rant, and take it personal, but don't since it's such a common argument, this could just as easily been to someone else.
    We've had individual threads that dealt with each one, with the exaggerations spelled out. Not sure I want to tackle each one here.

    I see two problems:

    1) our leaders lie. And they lie so much it's largely accepted. So many of them lie, regardless of stripe, there's not even any replacement for these lying leaders.

    2) each side so exaggerates the crimes of the other that we would not believe an honest, or relatively honet (there's a scale I think), if one bit us in the ass. Our climate, complete with 24 hour echo chambers of misinformation, so dominate the discourse that honest inquiriy is next to impossible. As we, meaning to damn many voters, feed on this vomit, we can't see any possible solutions to our problems.

    So, concern is warranted for each of them. But not to the level the opposition often inflates them to.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We've had individual threads that dealt with each one, with the exaggerations spelled out. Not sure I want to tackle each one here.

    I see two problems:

    1) our leaders lie. And they lie so much it's largely accepted. So many of them lie, regardless of stripe, there's not even any replacement for these lying leaders.

    2) each side so exaggerates the crimes of the other that we would not believe an honest, or relatively honet (there's a scale I think), if one bit us in the ass. Our climate, complete with 24 hour echo chambers of misinformation, so dominate the discourse that honest inquiriy is next to impossible. As we, meaning to damn many voters, feed on this vomit, we can't see any possible solutions to our problems.

    So, concern is warranted for each of them. But not to the level the opposition often inflates them to.
    You forget that last years opposition is this years apologist.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    You forget that last years opposition is this years apologist.
    I don't forget that at all. I tried to state clearly "of all stripes." This isn't a republican thing or a conservative thing. It's our political environment today. And to a lesser degree, largely due to less mass communication, it's been part of our politics from very early on.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #17
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    Of course they are all 'phony' I'm sure that's what most German's thought even as the American and British bombers reduced their cities to rubble.

  8. #18
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,069

    Re: Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    You can't tell me what to do. You're not my momma!!!!

    I voted NSA spying. I strongly suspect that it is not nearly as invasive as people fear.
    It's not.


    But I am rather surprised that folks think that the Benghazi cover-up isn't a scandal. We've seen multiple commanders who were part of the stand-up that night get relieved, reports of CIA agents being heavily leaned on and threatened, and a dead ambassador and other men on the ground. Phony scandals don't come home in body bags, nor do you need to fire people or apply pressure to keep them from being discussed.

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I wouldn't use phony. Overhyped by conservatives? Most of them. They are concerns, but not the nightmare many conservatives see them as.
    In a general sense I'd go with this.

    None of them are Phony. Are are worthy of realistic scrutiny and are understandable that some people might find facts surrounding it troubling or questionable. Phony suggests everything surrounding the scandal is fraudulent and made up, and that's not the case.

    Now are parts of the reporting on various ones potentially "phony" or is there potentially overhyping? Absolutely. This is generally the case with most "scandals" that hit, all that really changes is which side is the scandal accusations pointed towards and which side is doing the overhyping or potentially "phony" reporting.

    Take for instance the big fluff and huff about what happened with Santorum's wife that came up during the primaries. That wasn't a "phony" controversy because it did happen and people could potentially forumlate questions or concerns based on it. However, a LOT of the things being talked about during it WERE phony, misleading, or greatly overhyped.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which of these scandals is/are phony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    In a general sense I'd go with this.

    None of them are Phony. Are are worthy of realistic scrutiny and are understandable that some people might find facts surrounding it troubling or questionable. Phony suggests everything surrounding the scandal is fraudulent and made up, and that's not the case.

    Now are parts of the reporting on various ones potentially "phony" or is there potentially overhyping? Absolutely. This is generally the case with most "scandals" that hit, all that really changes is which side is the scandal accusations pointed towards and which side is doing the overhyping or potentially "phony" reporting.

    Take for instance the big fluff and huff about what happened with Santorum's wife that came up during the primaries. That wasn't a "phony" controversy because it did happen and people could potentially forumlate questions or concerns based on it. However, a LOT of the things being talked about during it WERE phony, misleading, or greatly overhyped.
    I agree.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •