View Poll Results: What religion are you

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian/Catholic

    13 10.66%
  • Christian/Protestant

    23 18.85%
  • Christian/LDS

    4 3.28%
  • Christian/Other

    12 9.84%
  • Jewish

    0 0%
  • Muslim

    0 0%
  • Buddhist

    2 1.64%
  • Hindu

    1 0.82%
  • Other

    25 20.49%
  • atheist

    42 34.43%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 186

Thread: Debate Politics Religion Census

  1. #81
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    No by definition he's an agnostic .... I don't know is a perfectly valid response. If someone asked me "Do you believe Cephus eyes brown," I would answer "I don't know" that doesn't mean I believe they are brown or I don't believe they are brown .... I DON'T KNOW ...

    If someone says "I don't know whether or not a God exists" that person is an agnostic, by definition.
    Yes, "I don't know" is a perfectly valid response to a question that isn't being asked. The question at hand is "do you believe in a god?" "I don't know" is not "yes", thus he's an atheist. He's also an agnostic. Agnostic isn't a mid-point between atheism and theism, it's the answer to a wholly different question on the availability of knowledge.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #82
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettt View Post
    By definition I'm agnostic. Deal with it. xD
    Actually theism and gnosticsm refer to different things. Agnostic/gnostic is about a declaration of knowledge. You cannot know gods exist (agnostic) or you know gods exist (gnostic). Atheism/theism refers to belief. You do not believe in a god (atheist) or you believe in a god (theist). By what you have claimed you'd be an agnostic atheist, which is one of the most common forms of atheist.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #83
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    No by definition he's an agnostic .... I don't know is a perfectly valid response. If someone asked me "Do you believe Cephus eyes brown," I would answer "I don't know" that doesn't mean I believe they are brown or I don't believe they are brown .... I DON'T KNOW ...

    If someone says "I don't know whether or not a God exists" that person is an agnostic, by definition.
    I don't know whether or not gods exist, I make no claim to knowledge. But I'm an atheist. Why? Because I do not believe in gods.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #84
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Yes, "I don't know" is a perfectly valid response to a question that isn't being asked. The question at hand is "do you believe in a god?" "I don't know" is not "yes", thus he's an atheist. He's also an agnostic. Agnostic isn't a mid-point between atheism and theism, it's the answer to a wholly different question on the availability of knowledge.
    No it isn't, you can think that it's possible to know whether or not a God exists, but just don't know ... it's totally possible to know whether or not you have brown eyes ... but I simple don't know.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    No it isn't, you can think that it's possible to know whether or not a God exists, but just don't know ... it's totally possible to know whether or not you have brown eyes ... but I simple don't know.
    Do you have a problem with basic English because you entirely ignored everything I said and just repeated your original assertion. What you just said here is entirely irrelevant to BELIEF ABOUT GODS.

    I don't want to have to explain it again, but I'm sure I will.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #86
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    agnostic atheist here. To answer to the poll question of what religion I am, I do not have one. I will vote for atheism, do not try to construe this as claiming or admitting that atheism is a religion due to poor wording of the poll options however.

    To address the current back and forth squabble over the definition of agnostic versus atheism - I concur with Ikari's and Cephus' statements above. The words each define a different aspect, one is the belief itself (atheism), the other is whether or not knowledge is possible (agnosticism). These terms are NOT mutually exclusive, and do often go hand in hand. As mentioned already, agnosticism is neither some wishy washy middle ground nor an apathetic stance between atheism and theism - it addresses knowledge, and whether knowledge is possible. It has no direct bearing on belief (indirectly it may effect belief, such as in this statement: "I do not think it is possible to know with certainty whether a god or higher power exists, and since conclusive evidence is not available I have no reason to believe in one").
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  7. #87
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    agnostic atheist here. To answer to the poll question of what religion I am, I do not have one. I will vote for atheism, do not try to construe this as claiming or admitting that atheism is a religion due to poor wording of the poll options however.

    To address the current back and forth squabble over the definition of agnostic versus atheism - I concur with Ikari's and Cephus' statements above. The words each define a different aspect, one is the belief itself (atheism), the other is whether or not knowledge is possible (agnosticism). These terms are NOT mutually exclusive, and do often go hand in hand. As mentioned already, agnosticism is neither some wishy washy middle ground nor an apathetic stance between atheism and theism - it addresses knowledge, and whether knowledge is possible. It has no direct bearing on belief (indirectly it may effect belief, such as in this statement: "I do not think it is possible to know with certainty whether a god or higher power exists, and since conclusive evidence is not available I have no reason to believe in one").
    To be honest, I'd argue that nobody on the planet has any knowledge of the existence of a god since knowledge requires some basis in fact and thus, some evidence. No one has produced any demonstrable evidence for the factual existence of any god yet, thus, no one can legitimately claim to have any knowledge that one does. They are just people trying to lend credence to their claims of faith in a god, nothing more.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #88
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Do you have a problem with basic English because you entirely ignored everything I said and just repeated your original assertion. What you just said here is entirely irrelevant to BELIEF ABOUT GODS.

    I don't want to have to explain it again, but I'm sure I will.
    Yes it is relevant ... I don't know is a response to "do you believe in God," agnostic is not an answer to whether or not it's POSSIBLE to know if God exists, it's an answer to "DOES God exist," if the answer is "I don't know" then you're agnostic.

  9. #89
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Actually theism and gnosticsm refer to different things. Agnostic/gnostic is about a declaration of knowledge. You cannot know gods exist (agnostic) or you know gods exist (gnostic). Atheism/theism refers to belief. You do not believe in a god (atheist) or you believe in a god (theist). By what you have claimed you'd be an agnostic atheist, which is one of the most common forms of atheist.
    I voted other. I'm agnostic.

    And when I say "I don't know" I mean "I don't know".

    Not "I don't know but I believe X".

    I think it's as likely that there is a god as that there isn't.

  10. #90
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    Yes it is relevant ... I don't know is a response to "do you believe in God," agnostic is not an answer to whether or not it's POSSIBLE to know if God exists, it's an answer to "DOES God exist," if the answer is "I don't know" then you're agnostic.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=defi...ostic&safe=off

    and to make it even simpler so you do not have to click on the link:

    ag·nos·tic
    /agˈnästik/
    Noun
    A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena

    that completely contradicts this statement of yours "agnostic is not an answer to whether or not it's POSSIBLE to know if God exists"
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •