View Poll Results: What religion are you

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian/Catholic

    13 10.66%
  • Christian/Protestant

    23 18.85%
  • Christian/LDS

    4 3.28%
  • Christian/Other

    12 9.84%
  • Jewish

    0 0%
  • Muslim

    0 0%
  • Buddhist

    2 1.64%
  • Hindu

    1 0.82%
  • Other

    25 20.49%
  • atheist

    42 34.43%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 186

Thread: Debate Politics Religion Census

  1. #151
    User Org's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    08-26-15 @ 03:16 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    135

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Still, 66.6 % profess some faith.
    Maybe more, because "other" doesn't necessarily equal agnostic.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Which is dramatically below the 85% who claim Christianity in the U.S. alone.
    Yep, but relatively high I would think for this type of place.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #153
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Org View Post
    Maybe more, because "other" doesn't necessarily equal agnostic.
    And unless those agnostics still actively believe in some sort of deity, they're atheists to boot.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #154
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    Atheist means you believe there is no God .... Agnostic means you don't know.
    Agnostic means you claim no knowledge, atheist means you claim no belief. It is quite possible to be an agnostic atheist.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #155
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    One couldn't be both an Agnostic and an Atheist, as an Atheist would deny even the possibility.

    It makes as much sense to claim Agnostic Atheism as it does Agnostic Theism. These terms are exclusive of each other, or why the distinctions at all?

  6. #156
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    One couldn't be both an Agnostic and an Atheist, as an Atheist would deny even the possibility.

    It makes as much sense to claim Agnostic Atheism as it does Agnostic Theism. These terms are exclusive of each other, or why the distinctions at all?
    Agnosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Agnostic theism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Agnostic atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    No. Both terms make perfect sense. Agnostic means "without knowledge". If one has faith in God, but doesn't pretend to have verifiable proof, then one is without knowledge. An agnostic maintains that the truth or falseness of god can't be known. That's what "faith" is. Taking it without being able to "know" it's true.

    An Agnostic Theist is someone who believes in a god, but doesn't claim to have knowlege of that god.
    An Agnostic Atheist is someone who believes there is no god, but doesn't claim to have knowledge of that.

    It's fair to say that when we use the word "agnostic", it's short for "agnostic atheist".
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  7. #157
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Agnosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Agnostic theism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Agnostic atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    No. Both terms make perfect sense. Agnostic means "without knowledge". If one has faith in God, but doesn't pretend to have verifiable proof, then one is without knowledge. An agnostic maintains that the truth or falseness of god can't be known. That's what "faith" is. Taking it without being able to "know" it's true.

    An Agnostic Theist is someone who believes in a god, but doesn't claim to have knowlege of that god.
    An Agnostic Atheist is someone who believes there is no god, but doesn't claim to have knowledge of that.

    It's fair to say that when we use the word "agnostic", it's short for "agnostic atheist".
    Contingent upon empirical definitions that render such distinctions meaningless, the substance of faith being something intangible.

  8. #158
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Contingent upon empirical definitions that render such distinctions meaningless, the substance of faith being something intangible.
    But some people aren't working in terms of faith. They think they have knowledge. They think that, because the feel it so strongly and believe it with such determination, that those feeling and beliefs are equal to knowledge. Those people are annoying. They're convinced they know things that they cannot know.

    That's a different thing than someone working on faith, without the militant belief that they've personally solved the oldest question in the universe. Theism is with god. Atheism is without god. Gnostic is with knowledge. Agnostic is without knowledge. Those mix up pretty well.

  9. #159
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    But some people aren't working in terms of faith. They think they have knowledge. They think that, because the feel it so strongly and believe it with such determination, that those feeling and beliefs are equal to knowledge. Those people are annoying. They're convinced they know things that they cannot know.

    That's a different thing than someone working on faith, without the militant belief that they've personally solved the oldest question in the universe. Theism is with god. Atheism is without god. Gnostic is with knowledge. Agnostic is without knowledge. Those mix up pretty well.
    No one claims to know something they don't know. To the faithful, faith is knowledge. Only, not in any empirical sense, which frustrates Atheists who claim that nonesuch is possible without an empirical yardstick.

    My point about Agnosticism is that, since it allows for inclusion in both Theistic and Atheistic senses, it is meaningless in combination, or there's no difference between a Theist and an Atheist. I'm surprised Wiki doesn't make that clear.

  10. #160
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    If you believe in the Christian "god" then you're an atheist towards the Greek deities, the tribal deities, etc. That makes one an atheist.

    After evidence is presented, you don't "believe;" you accept the evidence or you don't.
    No it doesn't, because you still believe in the Christian God, so you're a theist, an Atheist means ... NO GOD, not no specific god, no god period.

    THe agnostic doesn't believe the evidence is there either way, that's why he with holds judgement.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •