View Poll Results: What religion are you

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian/Catholic

    13 10.66%
  • Christian/Protestant

    23 18.85%
  • Christian/LDS

    4 3.28%
  • Christian/Other

    12 9.84%
  • Jewish

    0 0%
  • Muslim

    0 0%
  • Buddhist

    2 1.64%
  • Hindu

    1 0.82%
  • Other

    25 20.49%
  • atheist

    42 34.43%
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 186

Thread: Debate Politics Religion Census

  1. #91
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    To be honest, I'd argue that nobody on the planet has any knowledge of the existence of a god since knowledge requires some basis in fact and thus, some evidence. No one has produced any demonstrable evidence for the factual existence of any god yet, thus, no one can legitimately claim to have any knowledge that one does. They are just people trying to lend credence to their claims of faith in a god, nothing more.
    I would agree.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  2. #92
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Agnostic with Deist leanings. And maybe a little Pagan too.

    I'm not atheist....
    I can't say there is a God, I can't say there isn't a God. If a God(s) exist, I do not believe it/they exist as is portrayed by current Christian beliefs.

    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,820

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #94
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I voted other. I'm agnostic.

    And when I say "I don't know" I mean "I don't know".

    Not "I don't know but I believe X".

    I think it's as likely that there is a god as that there isn't.
    I suppose there could be agnostic agnostic, but if you aren't reading religious texts and praying or participating in religious dogma or whatever; chances are you don't believe in a god.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #95
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    But if you aren't reading religious texts and praying or participating in religious dogma or whatever; chances are you don't believe in a god.
    I don't think that participating in religious behavior is a necessary condition for believing that a god could potentially exist while at the same time believing that a god could potentially not exist.

    Obviously if the sky parted tomorrow and "THE GOD" appeared and made it perfectly clear that "X" religion had it right I'd get on board with that religion pretty quickly.

    But absent something like that, and with the understanding that I'm simply entertaining the idea for argument's sake that some god does exist, I see no compelling reason to believe that any particular religion, or any religion at all as far as it goes, has it "right" in terms of what that god has done in the past, what that god may want or expect from us, what interst that god may have in humanity, or anything else.

    Again, assuming for the sake of argument that there is a god, I find it just as likely that he "created" us, because that's what gods do, and then moved on to the next project, and hasn't given us a second thought since.

    My five-year-old colors in complete coloring books because that's what five-year-olds do. He doesn't feel any need to go back and tinker with his already completed coloring books, keep tabs on their morals and behavior, expect them to worship him, or any of the other things religious people expect from, and believe they owe, their creator.

    I think it's perfectly possible that god can exist completely seperate from and outside of religion, and that religion can exist completely seperate from and outside of god.

  6. #96
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    The older I get the more liberal Christian I get. I was raised a very fundamentalist. As I aged I slipped away, now I am United Church of Christ. I think there I will stay.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I don't think that participating in religious behavior is a necessary condition for believing that a god could potentially exist while at the same time believing that a god could potentially not exist.
    I think that if one believes in a god, they do the things required of belief. If one does not, chances are they don't believe in gods...or are lazy.

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Obviously if the sky parted tomorrow and "THE GOD" appeared and made it perfectly clear that "X" religion had it right I'd get on board with that religion pretty quickly.
    So would I, but until that point I don't believe in gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    But absent something like that, and with the understanding that I'm simply entertaining the idea for argument's sake that some god does exist, I see no compelling reason to believe that any particular religion, or any religion at all as far as it goes, has it "right" in terms of what that god has done in the past, what that god may want or expect from us, what interst that god may have in humanity, or anything else.
    You may not follow any given line of organized religion, but a belief would warrant action on some spiritual level. You wouldn't do nothing, doing nothing is a sign of disbelief.

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Again, assuming for the sake of argument that there is a god, I find it just as likely that he "created" us, because that's what gods do, and then moved on to the next project, and hasn't given us a second thought since.
    More deist sort of line of thought. But they are spiritual in their own ways as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I think it's perfectly possible that god can exist completely seperate from and outside of religion, and that religion can exist completely seperate from and outside of god.
    With gods anything is possible since they are immeasurable quantities.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #98
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,080

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'm surprised people are taking the atheist choice considering I've been repeatedly told that atheism isn't a religion.
    Other isn't a religion either. But "other" and "atheist" are useful words in describing someone's religious views. So they were put on the list. The same way that bald might be on a poll of hair colors, yet that doesn't make bald a hair color. It's just a useful word in describing your hair situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    Yes it is relevant ... I don't know is a response to "do you believe in God," agnostic is not an answer to whether or not it's POSSIBLE to know if God exists, it's an answer to "DOES God exist," if the answer is "I don't know" then you're agnostic.
    If you do not actively believe in any gods, you are, by definition, an atheist. Learn to use the English language properly.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #100
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Debate Politics Religion Census

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If you do not actively believe in any gods, you are, by definition, an atheist. Learn to use the English language properly.
    Atheist means you believe there is no God .... Agnostic means you don't know.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •