View Poll Results: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary? (multiple choice)

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 48.15%
  • No

    10 37.04%
  • They should be able to work

    5 18.52%
  • They should be able to market their likeness/autographs

    6 22.22%
  • Boosters should be allowed to pay them

    2 7.41%
  • Other

    1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

  1. #1
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    I was listening to ESPN radio today and heard something I didn't know about college athletes. They are not able to be employed, not even part time, by anyone while school is in session including during spring break. How are these kids supposed to make any money to support themselves? Think if a poor kid with a single mother who is barely paying the electric bill sends her son off to school. The kid gets room, food, and an education. And that's it. No entertainment, nothing. Also, college athletes cannot make any money off of their likeness, autographs, etc. So, should college athletes be paid a salary, be able to work, be able to make money off of their likeness/autographs, or a combo of some of those?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,077

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    yes, they should be paid, and they should be able to profit from the use of their likenesses.

  3. #3
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Look at the revenue they make for the school. No questions they should get at least a little compensation.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Absolutely, the NCAA treats their athletes very poorly, and it's a shame that they are making millions off of these athletes when a lot of them are poor.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #5
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I was listening to ESPN radio today and heard something I didn't know about college athletes. They are not able to be employed, not even part time, by anyone while school is in session including during spring break. How are these kids supposed to make any money to support themselves? Think if a poor kid with a single mother who is barely paying the electric bill sends her son off to school. The kid gets room, food, and an education. And that's it. No entertainment, nothing. Also, college athletes cannot make any money off of their likeness, autographs, etc. So, should college athletes be paid a salary, be able to work, be able to make money off of their likeness/autographs, or a combo of some of those?
    NCAA student athletes are not barred from employment, but there are strict rules that need to be followed...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    No, they shouldn't. First of all, they already are - they get a full ride, room, board, etc. at a university for four years, which has a value of upwards of 100,000 dollars. Second, if you do it for college football, you have to do it for everything - thanks to Title 9. The problem is that football is the only real revenue sport out there, outside of basketball for many schools. You can't legally give money to football players, then not give money to girls softball players, water polo players, volleyball players, lacrosse players, etc.

    If you start paying football players and men's basketball players, expect a lot of sports to suddenly get cut from the college ranks.

  7. #7
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Personally, I believe they should be able to market their likeness/autographs without the school logo involved. It is THEIR likeness after all. I also believe they should be allowed to work. They should not receive a salary nor should boosters be allowed to pay them. Most people believe that if you say they can work, boosters will just funnel the money through one of their businesses. That is true. However, we need to stop thinking in terms of big time football and basketball players. That's what most people think. They think of the freshman quarterback driving to school in a Bentley when he just came from a home in the ghettos of Chicago with a mom working 3 jobs 2 weeks ago. But what about the kid on swim team or the tennis team. He's not getting booster money. Even the kid riding the bench on the football team is seeing no money. Those are the kids that should be allowed to work.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    No, I don't want players to be able to profit from everything. I kinda like seeing Ohio State and every SEC school on probation.

  9. #9
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Look at the revenue they make for the school. No questions they should get at least a little compensation.
    They do, in a scholarship. If they aren't on scholarship, they aren't generating any money. People come to see the best play. The best are on scholarship.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    No, I don't want players to be able to profit from everything. I kinda like seeing Ohio State and every SEC school on probation.
    Why the hate for the SEC?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •