View Poll Results: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary? (multiple choice)

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 48.15%
  • No

    10 37.04%
  • They should be able to work

    5 18.52%
  • They should be able to market their likeness/autographs

    6 22.22%
  • Boosters should be allowed to pay them

    2 7.41%
  • Other

    1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 67 of 67

Thread: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    I agree with those who say we should decouple education from sports (or something like that).

    College sports has become big business. That shouldn't have happened. Intramural sports between dorms or frats/sororities? fine. This big money thing that college football and basketball has become? Gross.

    I sympathize with those who can only go to college because of sports scholarships. But if we're going to have those, then education should be the number one priority. Too many athletes leave - and even graduate - without getting the education.

    Redo it all. Get the money out of it.

    Unfortunately, given human nature, I doubt that will happen.
    I don't know about that.

    NCAA academic standards are very strict and the end result has been higher GPAs on average than non-student athletes. Schools just can't admit anyone and allow them to play. There are high school GPA, SAT, college GPA, course hours in a specified major, etc. requirements they need to meet or maintain and none of them are particularly low. Star athletes are suspended, kicked out of the program, and kicked out of school all the time for failing to maintain these standards. Just look at Everett Golson, the QB who just lead Notre Dame to the National Championship Game. There are also rigorous standards of conduct athletes must adhere to. There is a fair likelihood that Johnny Football, Heisman winner Johnny Manziel, won't be playing football this year because he allegedly signed his name for money.

    I personally think the NCAA goes way overboard but there is no real incentive for schools to turn a blind eye to any of this because the NCAA's penalties are so severe. Just look at Penn State's penalty from Sandusky's action.

    Of cours all of this ignores that the average NCAA athlete is a nobody. Sure, Johnny Football is the biggest name is Texas sports but how many women's poll vaulters does anyone know?
    Last edited by Dapper Andy; 08-06-13 at 02:17 PM.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    I don't know about that.

    NCAA academic standards are very strict and the end result has been higher GPAs on average than non-student athletes. Schools just can't admit anyone and allow them to play. There are high school GPA, SAT, college GPA, course hours in a specified major, etc. requirements they need to meet or maintain and none of them are particularly low. Star athletes are suspended, kicked out of the program, and kicked out of school all the time for failing to maintain these standards. Just look at Everett Golson, the QB who just lead Notre Dame to the National Championship Game. There are also rigorous standards of conduct athletes must adhere to. There is a fair likelihood that Johnny Football, Heisman winner Johnny Manziel, won't be playing football this year because he allegedly signed his name for money.

    I personally think the NCAA goes way overboard but there is no real incentive for schools to turn a blind eye to any of this because the NCAA's penalties are so severe. Just look at Penn State's penalty from Sandusky's action.
    Many people were wanting something akin to SMU's "death penalty" for the Sandusky thing. I think Penn State's punishment was appropriate, by and large.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Many people were wanting something akin to SMU's "death penalty" for the Sandusky thing. I think Penn State's punishment was appropriate, by and large.
    That's because people make emotional decisions.

    Sandusky's actions had nothing to do with Penn State football.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    That's because people make emotional decisions.

    Sandusky's actions had nothing to do with Penn State football.
    Where do you think he molested them, at a Burger King in State College, PA?

    Sandusky, a looooooooooong-time defensive coordinator that still held office on campus, lured kids to Penn State through a football-based camp that put them directly onto the field.

    It had to do with Penn State football.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Where do you think he molested them, at a Burger King in State College, PA?

    Sandusky, a looooooooooong-time defensive coordinator that still held office on campus, lured kids to Penn State through a football-based camp that put them directly onto the field.

    It had to do with Penn State football.
    It depends on the kid.

    Some were molested on campus. Others at his house. Still others in different locations.

    If one of those other locations was a Burger King, would that make this a Burger King issue?

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    It depends on the kid.

    Some were molested on campus. Others at his house. Still others in different locations.

    If one of those other locations was a Burger King, would that make this a Burger King issue?
    If it was due to faulty security, hell yes it would.

    This also had to do with the fact that everyone from Spanier on down - including JoePa - were implicit in this. It wasn't just molestation. It was a cover-up from the top to the bottom. If McQueary hadn't blown the whistle, Sandusky would still be knee-deep in bufu.

    Any chance you live in Pennsylvania?

  7. #67
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I wouldn't pay them a salary for playing, but if they get a little something from the boosters or make some money on their own name and likeness, then that should be OK. I don't have a problem with them working, but that would be very hard for them to do.
    I can't speak from experience because I haven't attended a traditional brick and mortar college, however, I have heard of many college students working during the school year. I understand athletes can't do that during the season, however, they could during the offseason I would think.
    Booster money is a no go in my opinion. That just makes the sport dirty for some reason. Can't really put my finger on it, but it does.
    Making money of their likeness should definitely be okay though.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •