View Poll Results: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary? (multiple choice)

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 48.15%
  • No

    10 37.04%
  • They should be able to work

    5 18.52%
  • They should be able to market their likeness/autographs

    6 22.22%
  • Boosters should be allowed to pay them

    2 7.41%
  • Other

    1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

  1. #21
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I was listening to ESPN radio today and heard something I didn't know about college athletes. They are not able to be employed, not even part time, by anyone while school is in session including during spring break. How are these kids supposed to make any money to support themselves? Think if a poor kid with a single mother who is barely paying the electric bill sends her son off to school. The kid gets room, food, and an education. And that's it. No entertainment, nothing. Also, college athletes cannot make any money off of their likeness, autographs, etc. So, should college athletes be paid a salary, be able to work, be able to make money off of their likeness/autographs, or a combo of some of those?
    No. Opens up too many cans of worms.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #22
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I was listening to ESPN radio today and heard something I didn't know about college athletes. They are not able to be employed, not even part time, by anyone while school is in session including during spring break. How are these kids supposed to make any money to support themselves? Think if a poor kid with a single mother who is barely paying the electric bill sends her son off to school. The kid gets room, food, and an education. And that's it. No entertainment, nothing. Also, college athletes cannot make any money off of their likeness, autographs, etc. So, should college athletes be paid a salary, be able to work, be able to make money off of their likeness/autographs, or a combo of some of those?
    The scholarship that they get is compensation enough. If not, then they need to take out loans/get a job like the rest of us. But there is one area where I disagree. If the school continues to use their likeness after graduation (say like in Madden/etc), then that person should get compensation. Just because you played sports at that school, doesn't mean they own you forever.

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    A scholarship is not a fair compensation. They are there because they are the best, and are expected to perform like the best. This means that they are barely passing classes, putting less into the educational side, then what happens if they are not good enough for the NFL or get injured and have to retire? They are left degreeless and with nowhere to go while the school gets off free to do it again.
    I disagree. Plenty of athletes have graduated college while playing football. Those that didn't isn't the schools fault.
    Hail to the King baby!

  3. #23
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Dude, have you seen how much it costs to go to college lately? That is PLENTY of compensation. And if they don't get their degree, that's their fault. Many, many good athletes have 4.0 GPA's and go on to be NFL players. If they get injured, a lot of schools will continue to honor the scholarship. However, they should not be required to because it is an athletic scholarship after all. If the kid can't play, then he doesn't get the scholarship. However, I do believe the university should be responsible for his health care related to that injury. I'm ignorant of those rules and would have to look it up.
    Have you seen the profits of the schools and NCAA? They can afford to compensate a little more for the people that bring in that revenue. LSU alone made almost 70 million in revenue in the 2009-2010 season. How much did the people who got them that get? None.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Vanderbilt just had a huge sexual assault controversy.......
    Is it legit? Usually these brain schools don't get that too much. The Duke lacrosse thing turned out to be a hoax.

  5. #25
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Auburn's was bought and paid for. They should be thankful that Rogers reneged on the deal with Mississippi State.

    Then there's Urban's tarnished titles. Fortunately he'll drag that cheater college in Columbus down into probation hell.

    That school up in Tuscaloosa should also be thankful that that Little Debbie-eatin mofo got essentially kicked out of the NFL for some really slimy tactics. Fortunately he stopped being the laughing stock when Petrino pinned the tail on himself.
    I'll agree Urban does have some discipline concerns
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #26
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Have you seen the profits of the schools and NCAA? They can afford to compensate a little more for the people that bring in that revenue. LSU alone made almost 70 million in revenue in the 2009-2010 season. How much did the people who got them that get? None.
    Revenue is not profit...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Have you seen the profits of the schools and NCAA? They can afford to compensate a little more for the people that bring in that revenue. LSU alone made almost 70 million in revenue in the 2009-2010 season. How much did the people who got them that get? None.
    That money goes to their general scholarship fund, by and large. It's not like the school president rolls around butt-naked in an office full of hundred dollar bills.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I'll agree Urban does have some discipline concerns
    Yeah...some...

    He reminds me of Tressel. He'll recruit anyone. When the Hernandez murder news broke, the first thing I thought, other than "the hell was Kraft thinkin with him", is that "yup, typical Urban recruit".

  9. #29
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    That money goes to their general scholarship fund, by and large. It's not like the school president rolls around butt-naked in an office full of hundred dollar bills.
    How do you know? Do you work at the NSA?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #30
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Revenue is not profit...
    47 million in profits.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •